Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX backup & restore a volume group Post 302359515 by donybangetgitu on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 08:53:07 PM
Old 10-06-2009
backup & restore a volume group

Dear All,

I would like to ask about saving & restoring a user defined volume group. i have a user defined volume group, named as datavg. i want to save it & to restore it into different size of physical volume. currently, datavg consist of 4 pv, three fisrt pv size are 100GB & one pv size is 150GB. if i want to restore saved datavg into 4 pv that it each size 100GB, will problem occur? or any consideration to save & to restore my user defined vg? additional info, datavg is 70% used. pls advice.

Thanks

Dony Prasetyo
AIX System engineer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

hp unix backup&restore

Dear frnds, i am going to use hp-ux11i first time, actually migrated from true64unix(digital), Now confused with the backup and restore procedures, i was using vdump and vrestore in that which was really much comfortable.could you suggest which is best type backup(similar to vdump and vrestore)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Error using usfdump for backup & restore ?

Hello buddy, I used usfbackup command but error after full backup Solaris 5.5.1 /dev/c0t3d0s0 / /dev/c0t3d0s6 /usr I get error when restart after complete full backup Can't load the root file system Type 'go' to resume ***FULL MY STORY*** ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: posky
1 Replies

3. SCO

SCO 6. Backup & Restore from USB

Finaly got usb working on sco6. If anyone need help with that just ask. My final goal is to able to do a complete system backup/restore to/from usb. The problems I need help with 1. Can't cpio to usb device. Getting an error message device not found 2. When booted from sco6 emergency... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

ServiceGuard cluster & volume group failover

I have a 2-node ServiceGuard cluster. One of the cluster packages has a volume group assigned to it. When I fail the package over to the other node, the volume group does not come up automatically on the other node. I have to manually do a "vgchange -a y vgname" on the node before the package... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wotan31
5 Replies

5. AIX

How to backup and restore more than 1 volume group

Hello, Could someone tell me if I have this correct. If I have 2 volume groups rootvg and datavg and wish to back these up to 21 tape how do I accomplish this. I am currently using mksysb /dev/rmt0.1 -V savevg -f /dev/rmt0 datavg I think this may be overwriting the rootvg however as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

imap & rsync - doing backup & restore

Hi ALL... I have an IMAP server & I have setup rsync to copy all mailboxes (MailDir) to a remote backup machine. rsync is working fine and is copying my files. I need some advice on how to restore a particular mailbox when a user makes a request assuming she has has deleted an important... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome

Hi I'm looking for scripts to backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
VGEXTEND(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VGEXTEND(8)

NAME
vgextend - add physical volumes to a volume group SYNOPSIS
vgextend [-A|--autobackup {y|n}] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--restoremissing] [-f|--force] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] [PHYSICAL DEVICE OPTIONS] VolumeGroupName PhysicalDevicePath [PhysicalDevicePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgextend allows you to add one or more initialized physical volumes (see pvcreate(8)) to an existing volume group to extend it in size. Moreover, it allows you to re-add a physical volume that has gone missing previously, due to a transient device failure, without re-ini- tialising it. Use vgextend --restoremissing to that effect. If PhysicalDevicePath was not previously configured for LVM with pvcreate(8), the device will be initialized with the same default values used with pvcreate(8). If non-default pvcreate(8) values are desired, they may be given on the commandline with the same options as pvcre- ate(8). See PHYSICAL DEVICE OPTIONS for available options. Note that the restore-related options such as --restorefile, --uuid and --physicalvolumesize are not available. If a restore operation is needed, use pvcreate(8) and vgcfgrestore(8). OPTIONS
See lvm(8) for common options. PHYSICAL DEVICE OPTIONS
The following options are available for initializing physical devices in the volume group. These options are further described in the pvcreate(8) man page. -f, --force -y, --yes -Z, --zero {y|n} --labelsector sector --metadatasize size --metadataignore {y|n} --pvmetadatacopies copies --dataalignment alignment --dataalignmentoffset alignment_offset Examples Extends the existing volume group "vg00" by the new physical volumes (see pvcreate(8)) "/dev/sda4" and "/dev/sdn1". vgextend vg00 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdn1 SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgreduce(8), pvcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.105(2)-RHEL7 (2014-03-26) VGEXTEND(8)