Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange SIGINT propagation between Parent/Child sh scripts Post 302359456 by steadyonabix on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 03:19:38 PM
Old 10-06-2009
'When I execute the "parent" process with a ">./parent",' This does not work for me but . parent does run it. Similarly I changed './child &' to '. child &' and got the following output: -

TX5XN:/home/brad/wip/signals>. parent
parent running
child started. pid is 3698
[1] 7191
child_id = 7191

a ps -ef gave: -

brad 7191 3698 0 20:04 pts/0 00:00:00 ksh

CTRL C of parent produced this output: -

^Cchild got signal 2
Wait Status recorded when parent continues: 0
Parent Still Running after the child exits!

"child got signal 2" is the message from the child's signal handler, not the parent; at this point a ps shows that the child is gone.

A further CTRL C gives: -

^CSIGINT caught in Parent
Parent sending: kill -n 2 7191
kill: 7191: no such process
SIGINT caught in Parent
Parent sending: kill -n 2 7191
kill: 7191: no such process

Note that the handler is called twice.

When I run your code with the line './child &' in it I get the output: -

TX5XN:/home/brad/wip/signals>. parent
parent running
ksh: .: line 19: ./child: not found
[1] 7398
child_id = 7398
Wait Status recorded when parent continues: 127
Parent Still Running after the child exits!
^CSIGINT caught in Parent
Parent sending: kill -n 2 7398
kill: 7398: no such process
SIGINT caught in Parent
Parent sending: kill -n 2 7398
kill: 7398: no such process

Are you sure you actually ran the child process or am I missing something? I don't have much experience of signal handlers?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what are parent and child processes all about?

I don't follow what these are... this is what my text says... "When a process is started, a duplicate of that process is created. This new process is called the child and the process that created it is called the parent. The child process then replaces the copy for the code the parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How hard can it be? ps child/parent

:( Since I'm fairly new to the scene and don't have much experience in shell programming, I decided to check out the net for a useful script or two. What I'm looking for is a script that would let me enter a PID and then show the process tree associated with it. So it would display the (grand-)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: velde046
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill parent and child

Hello all, I have gone through the search and looked at posting about idle users and killing processes. Here is my question I would like to kill an idle user ( which I can do) but how can I asure that all of his process is also killed whit out tracing his inital start PID. I have tried this on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent/Child Processes

Hello. I have a global function name func1() that I am sourcing in from script A. I call the function from script B. Is there a way to find out which script called func1() dynamically so that the func1() can report it in the event there are errors? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error trapping in parent/child scripts

Greets all. I'm using Slackware 12.0 with the bash shell. Calling my scripts with /bin/sh... I'm building gnome-2.18.3 and I have all my build scripts ready and working but I'm calling them from a parent script which executes each child/build script in a certain order (for loop). I have "set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madpenguin
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple child scripts running in backgroud, how to use grep on the parent?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertashish
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Child Killing Parent

Hi all, I am writing a script which calls other third party scripts that perform numerous actions. I have no control over these scripts. My problem is, one of these scripts seems to execute and do what it is meant to do, but my calling / parent script always exits at that point. I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with deleting childīs parent and child subprocess

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to make an program that in a loop creates one parent and five children with fork(). The problem i'm trying to solve is how to delete the parent and child of the childīs process. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhiteFace
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

parent and child directory

does anyone know how to check in an 'if' statement if a particular directory is a child directory of a particular directory? help ~ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymc1g11
2 Replies
wait(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						  wait(3C)

NAME
wait - wait for child process to stop or terminate SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/wait.h> pid_t wait(int *stat_loc); DESCRIPTION
The wait() function will suspend execution of the calling thread until status information for one of its terminated child processes is available, or until delivery of a signal whose action is either to execute a signal-catching function or to terminate the process. If more than one thread is suspended in wait(), waitpid(3C), or waitid(2) awaiting termination of the same process, exactly one thread will return the process status at the time of the target process termination. If status information is available prior to the call to wait(), return will be immediate. If wait() returns because the status of a child process is available, it returns the process ID of the child process. If the calling process specified a non-zero value for stat_loc, the status of the child process is stored in the location pointed to by stat_loc. That status can be evaluated with the macros described on the wait.h(3HEAD) manual page. In the following, status is the object pointed to by stat_loc: o If the child process terminated due to an _exit() call, the low order 8 bits of status will be 0 and the high order 8 bits will contain the low order 7 bits of the argument that the child process passed to _exit(); see exit(2). o If the child process terminated due to a signal, the high order 8 bits of status will be 0 and the low order 7bits will contain the number of the signal that caused the termination. In addition, if WCOREFLG is set, a "core image" will have been produced; see signal.h(3HEAD) and wait.h(3HEAD). One instance of a SIGCHLD signal is queued for each child process whose status has changed. If wait() returns because the status of a child process is available, any pending SIGCHLD signal associated with the process ID of that child process is discarded. Any other pending SIGCHLD signals remain pending. If the calling process has SA_NOCLDWAIT set or has SIGCHLD set to SIG_IGN, and the process has no unwaited children that were transformed into zombie processes, it will block until all of its children terminate, and wait() will fail and set errno to ECHILD. If a parent process terminates without waiting for its child processes to terminate, the parent process ID of each child process is set to 1, with the initialization process inheriting the child processes; see Intro(2). RETURN VALUES
When wait() returns due to a terminated child process, the process ID of the child is returned to the calling process. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The wait() function will fail if: ECHILD The calling process has no existing unwaited-for child processes. EINTR The function was interrupted by a signal. USAGE
Since wait() blocks on a stopped child, a calling process wanting to see the return results of such a call should use waitpid(3C) or waitid(2) instead of wait(). The wait() function is implemented as a call to waitpid(-1, stat_loc, 0). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(2), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), pause(2), waitid(2), ptrace(3C), signal(3C), signal.h(3HEAD), waitpid(3C), wait.h(3HEAD), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 9 Jun 2004 wait(3C)