Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED variable substitution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED variable substitution Post 302359326 by rpraharaj84 on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 09:32:00 AM
Old 10-06-2009
SED variable substitution

Hi Chaps...

I have a log file as below:-

Code:
01 Oct 2009 12:57:56 DEBUG [pollingThread]:

01 Oct 2009 12:14:21 DEBUG [pollingThread]:.....
.05 Oct 2009 14:31:56 DEBUG [pollingThread]:....
.05 Oct 2009 12:57:56 DEBUG [pollingThread]:....

06 Oct 2009 01:23:11 DEBUG [pollingThread]:....
.06 Oct 2009 12:53:46 DEBUG [pollingThread]:....

Now I have to cut all the logs whcih are created today and do some basic operation...

now considering my end string time stamp will vary I have cut the time stamp of last line to a variable...

and start string can be taken as date as I have date in my log...

for cutting the log file i have written ..
Code:

#!/bin/bash

. ~/.profile

date_var=`date "+%d %h %Y"`
#date_var='01 Oct 2009'
time_stamp=`tail -1 Interface.log | cut -f4 -d " "`
end_string="$date_var $time_stamp"
sed '/^'$date_var'/,/^'$end_string'/!d' Interface.log | sed '/^#/d' | sed '$d' >> current_day_log.txt

when I run above script I get error as sed: command garbled: /^06

looks like there is a problem while substituting the varibale in SED...can anybody point out what I am doing wrong here...

Many Thanks in advance...

Last edited by pludi; 10-06-2009 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: code tags!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed substitution using a $variable for a line containing a word

$ cat ggg /E*Fare/testteam/public/pf3/nggfstatic/4k-pf3_3.case REGION1: /E*Fare/dist/src/nggfstaticbase/EFare/Server CODEBASE1: /dev_tools/LINUXMTP-4/EFS070718E/EFare/Server DATABASE1: nggfstatic SCRIPT: /efare1/admin/ezlcn/scripts/pf3_3_scriptlist.input PROLOGINITSIZE not yet set You... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangal-Arun
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to do variable substitution in 'sed'

I have a 'sed' editor command trying to read contents of one file into another. v=t1 PX=25 sed '/for/ r /$v/ext/tsfirmfiles.${PX}' /bb/bin/px${PX}.files.2b.deleted > result I cannot come up with the syntax so 'sed' would do a variable substitution. Any idea? Thanks a for help. -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable substitution problem

Hi, I am facing a strange problem. I have a script that used the following to search and replace text: sed 's/'"${find_var_parm}"'/'"${find_var_filter}"'/g' $ParmFile > $TempFile The values of $find_var_parm and $find_var_filter are set based on search criteria. The above seems to be working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable substitution in sed

Hi, I have to insert a line at a particular line number in my file. But the line number is not fixed and it will vary every time. So, I have to use a variable to get the line number I know we can use sed to insert lines at a particular line number but it does not work with variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sed variable substitution

Give the code: set line = 2 set year = `sed -n '2p' file while ($line < 500) echo $line > f.txt @ line = $line + 1 end How do I utilize the variable $line in the code instead of the number 2. I'm using this in a while loop and counter. I've tried quoting it, double/single... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wxornot
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution

Hello, I searched the forum and unable to find a solution for my particular problem. I have a text file I'm trying to insert some text using sed after finding a pattern.. File contains in one line Invoice date: xx/xx/xxxx Balance: $$$$ Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Trying to insert Invoice "Number:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallu0987
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - variable substitution

Problem with the code below is that the value of the variable is not getting substituted in the sed expression. #/bin/csh set UNIX_ID="rajibd" set X_ID="xrajibd" sed -n 's/$UNIX_ID/$X_ID/g' passwd When run , it is not giving expected output as shown below : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable substitution in a script

Hi I am trying to do the following in a script find a string and add in a block of text two lines above on the command line this works fine #/usr/bin/cat /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf_subnet | /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -n -e '1h;1\!H;${;g;s/}.*#END of 10.42.33.0/#START of RANGE $dstart\:option... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable expansion fails for substitution in range

I'm trying to change "F" to "G" in lines after the first one: 'FUE.SER' 5 1 1 F0501 F0401 F0502 2 1 F0301 E0501 F0201 E0502 F0302 3 1 F0503 E0503 E0301 E0201 E0302 E0504 F0504 4 1 F0402 F0202 E0202 F0101 E0203 F0203 F0403 5 1 F0505 E0505 E0303 E0204 E0304 E0506... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: larrl
10 Replies
AUREPORT:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					      AUREPORT:(8)

NAME
aureport - a tool that produces summary reports of audit daemon logs SYNOPSIS
aureport [options] DESCRIPTION
aureport is a tool that produces summary reports of the audit system logs. The aureport utility can also take input from stdin as long as the input is the raw log data. The reports have a column label at the top to help with interpretation of the various fields. Except for the main summary report, all reports have the audit event number. You can subsequently lookup the full event with ausearch -a event number. You may need to specify start & stop times if you get multiple hits. The reports produced by aureport can be used as building blocks for more complicated analysis. OPTIONS
-au, --auth Report about authentication attempts -a, --avc Report about avc messages -c, --config Report about config changes -cr, --crypto Report about crypto events -e, --event Report about events -f, --file Report about files --failed Only select failed events for processing in the reports. The default is both success and failed events. -h, --host Report about hosts --help Print brief command summary -i, --interpret Interpret numeric entities into text. For example, uid is converted to account name. The conversion is done using the current resources of the machine where the search is being run. If you have renamed the accounts, or don't have the same accounts on your machine, you could get misleading results. -if, --input file Use the given file instead of the logs. This is to aid analysis where the logs have been moved to another machine or only part of a log was saved. --input-logs Use the log file location from auditd.conf as input for analysis. This is needed if you are using aureport from a cron job. -k, --key Report about audit rule keys -l, --login Report about logins -m, --mods Report about account modifications -ma, --mac Report about Mandatory Access Control (MAC) events -n, --anomaly Report about anomaly events. These events include NIC going into promiscuous mode and programs segfaulting. --node node-name Only select events originating from node name string for processing in the reports. The default is to include all nodes. Multiple nodes are allowed. -p, --pid Report about processes -r, --response Report about responses to anomaly events -s, --syscall Report about syscalls --success Only select successful events for processing in the reports. The default is both success and failed events. --summary Run the summary report that gives a total of the elements of the main report. Not all reports have a summary. -t, --log This option will output a report of the start and end times for each log. --tty Report about tty keystrokes -te, --end [end-date] [end-time] Search for events with time stamps equal to or before the given end time. The format of end time depends on your locale. If the date is omitted, today is assumed. If the time is omitted, now is assumed. Use 24 hour clock time rather than AM or PM to specify time. An example date using the en_US.utf8 locale is 09/03/2009. An example of time is 18:00:00. The date format accepted is influenced by the LC_TIME environmental variable. You may also use the word: now, recent, today, yesterday, this-week, week-ago, this-month, this-year. Today means starting now. Recent is 10 minutes ago. Yesterday is 1 second after midnight the previous day. This-week means starting 1 second after midnight on day 0 of the week determined by your locale (see localtime). This-month means 1 second after midnight on day 1 of the month. This-year means the 1 second after midnight on the first day of the first month. -tm, --terminal Report about terminals -ts, --start [start-date] [start-time] Search for events with time stamps equal to or after the given end time. The format of end time depends on your locale. If the date is omitted, today is assumed. If the time is omitted, midnight is assumed. Use 24 hour clock time rather than AM or PM to specify time. An example date using the en_US.utf8 locale is 09/03/2009. An example of time is 18:00:00. The date format accepted is influ- enced by the LC_TIME environmental variable. You may also use the word: now, recent, today, yesterday, this-week, this-month, this-year. Today means starting at 1 second after midnight. Recent is 10 minutes ago. Yesterday is 1 second after midnight the previous day. This-week means starting 1 second after midnight on day 0 of the week determined by your locale (see localtime). This-month means 1 second after midnight on day 1 of the month. This-year means the 1 second after midnight on the first day of the first month. -u, --user Report about users -v, --version Print the version and exit -x, --executable Report about executables SEE ALSO
ausearch(8), auditd(8). Red Hat Sept 2009 AUREPORT:(8)