Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED variable substitution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED variable substitution Post 302359326 by rpraharaj84 on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 09:32:00 AM
Old 10-06-2009
SED variable substitution

Hi Chaps...

I have a log file as below:-

Code:
01 Oct 2009 12:57:56 DEBUG [pollingThread]:

01 Oct 2009 12:14:21 DEBUG [pollingThread]:.....
.05 Oct 2009 14:31:56 DEBUG [pollingThread]:....
.05 Oct 2009 12:57:56 DEBUG [pollingThread]:....

06 Oct 2009 01:23:11 DEBUG [pollingThread]:....
.06 Oct 2009 12:53:46 DEBUG [pollingThread]:....

Now I have to cut all the logs whcih are created today and do some basic operation...

now considering my end string time stamp will vary I have cut the time stamp of last line to a variable...

and start string can be taken as date as I have date in my log...

for cutting the log file i have written ..
Code:

#!/bin/bash

. ~/.profile

date_var=`date "+%d %h %Y"`
#date_var='01 Oct 2009'
time_stamp=`tail -1 Interface.log | cut -f4 -d " "`
end_string="$date_var $time_stamp"
sed '/^'$date_var'/,/^'$end_string'/!d' Interface.log | sed '/^#/d' | sed '$d' >> current_day_log.txt

when I run above script I get error as sed: command garbled: /^06

looks like there is a problem while substituting the varibale in SED...can anybody point out what I am doing wrong here...

Many Thanks in advance...

Last edited by pludi; 10-06-2009 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: code tags!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed substitution using a $variable for a line containing a word

$ cat ggg /E*Fare/testteam/public/pf3/nggfstatic/4k-pf3_3.case REGION1: /E*Fare/dist/src/nggfstaticbase/EFare/Server CODEBASE1: /dev_tools/LINUXMTP-4/EFS070718E/EFare/Server DATABASE1: nggfstatic SCRIPT: /efare1/admin/ezlcn/scripts/pf3_3_scriptlist.input PROLOGINITSIZE not yet set You... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangal-Arun
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to do variable substitution in 'sed'

I have a 'sed' editor command trying to read contents of one file into another. v=t1 PX=25 sed '/for/ r /$v/ext/tsfirmfiles.${PX}' /bb/bin/px${PX}.files.2b.deleted > result I cannot come up with the syntax so 'sed' would do a variable substitution. Any idea? Thanks a for help. -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable substitution problem

Hi, I am facing a strange problem. I have a script that used the following to search and replace text: sed 's/'"${find_var_parm}"'/'"${find_var_filter}"'/g' $ParmFile > $TempFile The values of $find_var_parm and $find_var_filter are set based on search criteria. The above seems to be working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable substitution in sed

Hi, I have to insert a line at a particular line number in my file. But the line number is not fixed and it will vary every time. So, I have to use a variable to get the line number I know we can use sed to insert lines at a particular line number but it does not work with variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sed variable substitution

Give the code: set line = 2 set year = `sed -n '2p' file while ($line < 500) echo $line > f.txt @ line = $line + 1 end How do I utilize the variable $line in the code instead of the number 2. I'm using this in a while loop and counter. I've tried quoting it, double/single... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wxornot
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution

Hello, I searched the forum and unable to find a solution for my particular problem. I have a text file I'm trying to insert some text using sed after finding a pattern.. File contains in one line Invoice date: xx/xx/xxxx Balance: $$$$ Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Trying to insert Invoice "Number:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallu0987
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - variable substitution

Problem with the code below is that the value of the variable is not getting substituted in the sed expression. #/bin/csh set UNIX_ID="rajibd" set X_ID="xrajibd" sed -n 's/$UNIX_ID/$X_ID/g' passwd When run , it is not giving expected output as shown below : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable substitution in a script

Hi I am trying to do the following in a script find a string and add in a block of text two lines above on the command line this works fine #/usr/bin/cat /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf_subnet | /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -n -e '1h;1\!H;${;g;s/}.*#END of 10.42.33.0/#START of RANGE $dstart\:option... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable expansion fails for substitution in range

I'm trying to change "F" to "G" in lines after the first one: 'FUE.SER' 5 1 1 F0501 F0401 F0502 2 1 F0301 E0501 F0201 E0502 F0302 3 1 F0503 E0503 E0301 E0201 E0302 E0504 F0504 4 1 F0402 F0202 E0202 F0101 E0203 F0203 F0403 5 1 F0505 E0505 E0303 E0204 E0304 E0506... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: larrl
10 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Component(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Graphics::Primitive::Component(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Component - Base graphical unit DESCRIPTION
A Component is an entity with a graphical representation. SYNOPSIS
my $c = Graphics::Primitive::Component->new({ origin => Geometry::Primitive::Point->new({ x => $x, y => $y }), width => 500, height => 350 }); LIFECYCLE
prepare Most components do the majority of their setup in the prepare. The goal of prepare is to establish it's minimum height and width so that it can be properly positioned by a layout manager. $driver->prepare($comp); layout This is not a method of Component, but a phase introduced by the use of Layout::Manager. If the component is a container then each of it's child components (even the containers) will be positioned according to the minimum height and width determined during prepare. Different layout manager implementations have different rules, so consult the documentation for each for details. After this phase has completed the origin, height and width should be set for all components. $lm->do_layout($comp); finalize This final phase provides and opportunity for the component to do any final changes to it's internals before being passed to a driver for drawing. An example might be a component that draws a fleuron at it's extremities. Since the final height and width isn't known until this phase, it was impossible for it to position these internal components until now. It may even defer creation of this components until now. It is not ok to defer all action to the finalize phase. If you do not establish a minimum hieght and width during prepare then the layout manager may not provide you with enough space to draw. $driver->finalize($comp); draw Handled by Graphics::Primitive::Driver. $driver->draw($comp); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Component. Instance Methods background_color Set this component's background color. border Set this component's border, which should be an instance of Border. callback Optional callback that is fired at the beginning of the "finalize" phase. This allows you to add some sort of custom code that can modify the component just before it is rendered. The only argument is the component itself. Note that changing the position or the dimensions of the component will not re-layout the scene. You may have weird results of you manipulate the component's dimensions here. class Set/Get this component's class, which is an abitrary string. Graphics::Primitive has no internal use for this attribute but provides it for outside use. color Set this component's foreground color. fire_callback Method to execute this component's "callback". get_tree Get a tree for this component. Since components are -- by definiton -- leaf nodes, this tree will only have the one member at it's root. has_callback Predicate that tells if this component has a "callback". height Set this component's height. inside_bounding_box Returns a Rectangle that defines the edges of the 'inside' box for this component. This box is relative to the origin of the component. inside_height Get the height available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. inside_width Get the width available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. margins Set this component's margins, which should be an instance of Insets. Margins are the space outside the component's bounding box, as in CSS. The margins should be outside the border. maximum_height Set/Get this component's maximum height. Used to inform a layout manager. maximum_width Set/Get this component's maximum width. Used to inform a layout manager. minimum_height Set/Get this component's minimum height. Used to inform a layout manager. minimum_inside_height Get the minimum height available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. minimum_inside_width Get the minimum width available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. minimum_width Set/Get this component's minimum width. Used to inform a layout manager. name Set this component's name. This is not required, but may inform consumers of a component. Pay attention to that library's documentation. origin Set/Get the origin point for this component. outside_height Get the height consumed by padding, margin and borders. outside_width Get the width consumed by padding, margin and borders. finalize Method provided to give component one last opportunity to put it's contents into the provided space. Called after prepare. padding Set this component's padding, which should be an instance of Insets. Padding is the space inside the component's bounding box, as in CSS. This padding should be between the border and the component's content. page If true then this component represents stand-alone page. This informs the driver that this component (and any children) are to be renderered on a single surface. This only really makes sense in formats that have pages such as PDF of PostScript. prepare Method to prepare this component for drawing. This is an empty sub and is meant to be overridden by a specific implementation. preferred_height Set/Get this component's preferred height. Used to inform a layout manager. preferred_width Set/Get this component's preferred width. Used to inform a layout manager. to_string Get a string representation of this component in the form of: $name $x,$y ($widthx$height) visible Set/Get this component's visible flag. width Set/Get this component's width. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-geometry-primitive at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Geometry-Primitive <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Geometry-Primitive>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2009 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2011-06-02 Graphics::Primitive::Component(3pm)