Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem running ssh from remote server Post 302359305 by newerakb on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 08:32:52 AM
Old 10-06-2009
Problem running ssh from remote server

So I have a script which performs some basic commands on another server via ssh. It works great, no issues at all. Let's call this "Script A"

BUT, this working script is to be executed remotely from a different UNIX script on another server, also by ssh. Let's call this "Script B".

When Script B calls Script A, the ssh in Script A no longer connects. There's no error output so I don't know exactly what is happening.

My first thought is that this is keyfile-related. The box with Script A has a keyfile to automatically login to the destination machine. Does the box with Script B also need a keyfile to this destination machine?

So if Script A has this:
Code:
ssh -l $sshid $sship "echo test"

And I call Script A from Script B, nothing is displayed. The values of the connection variables have been tested and confirmed, and whoami shows the correct user. So I can't see how Script A should act any differently when called locally by me, and remotely by another box.

Any help appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running ssh on a remote system?

I need to install ypbind and yp-tools on over two-hundred remote client machines based on their redhat version. I have a centralized server on which I created an ssh public key. I then transfered the ssh public key to the authorized_keys file on all the remote hosts; therefore, I can login without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a script on remote server.

I need to run a script on a remote server from my ksh script. The issue I'm having is that I need to logon to the remote server as a different user. (see the following) logged on to server 1 as adsmgr neet to log on to server 2 as odemgr run passwd_util.ksh Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whited05
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a function on a remote server via SSH in a script

I'm working on a script (mostly for practice) to simplify a task I have to do every now and then. I have a cluster with 6 servers on it, each server has a directory with a set of files called *.pid and *.mpid. Each file contains the pid of a process that may or may not be running on that server.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh - running remote command not exiting

Hi, i have a shellscript, where in i need to connect to different server start these three jobs and exit from the server and start the same three jobs on local server. ssh user@remotehost 'bash -s' << EOF ${GETT_HOME}/bin/start1 & sleep 10 ${GETT_HOME}/bin/start2 & sleep 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapnabhargav
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script on remote server

Hi All, I need to run a ksh script on around 200 servers(consisting of AIX,LInux,HP-UX,Solaris). The script is there in the /tmp directory of all the servers. I want want to execute the script in background on the respective servers and then exit from there. I have written something like below:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Append the output of a script running in remote server to a file in local server?

Hi guys, So i am in server1 and i have to login to server 2, 3,4 and run some script there(logging script) and output its result. What i am doing is running the script in server2 and outputting it to a file in server 2 and then Scp'ing the file to server1. Similarly i am doing this for other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi server access through remote server using ssh

Team, Presently I have 5 ip address kept in ip_abc1 file, for each of the ip address listed, i need to login on each ipaddress one at a time and login as below for that specific ip address ssh -p 8101 karaf@<ip.address_for the specific ip address as logged in> password features:list... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Commands on a Remote Linux Server over SSH

Hello, I'm trying to create a ksh script to ssh to a remote server, enter the password and a couple commands. For security reasons I have changed the login, password and ip in my example. #!/bin/ksh ssh -t -t username@12.5.5.3 << EOF password cd bin pwd EOF When I run it. It... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh - running commands on remote server

Hi, I am trying to run commands on a list of servers that I can ssh to and just want to know if there is a 'cleaner' way of doing this. At the moment, I am doing as below. Is there a way that I can escape the double quote differently? If a use a single quote to enclose the commands that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project