Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Convert into month name
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert into month name Post 302359192 by pludi on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 03:17:32 AM
Old 10-06-2009
There is no pre-defined function for that, but it's easy to do yourself.
Code:
sub month_to_name {
    my @mons = qw/Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec/;
    my $month = shift;
    return $mons[$month - 1];
}

If you need something more complex, I found the Date::Calc module very useful.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert the numeric month into alphabetic

hi , This function actually gives me the last month but as a numeric value what should i do to get it as suppose :Jul date '+%b %Y' | { read MONTH YEAR MONTH=`expr "$MONTH" - 1` echo $MONTH } Thanks. Rooh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert DDMMYYYY to DD MONTH YYYY in Unix

Hi I am having date as a string in DDMMYYYY format(07082008) in a variable say cdate. I want to Convert it into DD Month YYYY format(7 August 2008). Could someone help. Thanks in Advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rspk_praveen
2 Replies

3. AIX

Convert unix timestamp to year month day format ?

Hello, How do I convert unix timestamp value to 'normal' date format - to get year month and day values ? Looks like it's easy to do using GNU date (linux systems). But how do I do tthis on AIX ? I don't want to write C program, any ways to do that using unix shells ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to counting a specific word in a logfile on each day of this month, last month etc

Hello All, I am trying to come up with a shell script to count a specific word in a logfile on each day of this month, last month and the month before. I need to produce this report and email it to customer. Any ideas would be appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnara2
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert date format such as 7/18/2015 to the number of month

How to convert date format such as 7/18/2015 to the number of month from requesting date 'date' in sh scripting ? Let say I have output in my log.txt -> 7/18/2015. How I convert it to the full number of month starting from 'date' till 7/18/2015 in shell scripting ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amerabest
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert month(06) to String(Jun)

Hi All, From the below code i can see the value in M=05 and +1 added i.e 6. i am calling those 2 variables and the output is giving as 01-6-2013. But the required output should be 01-Jun-2013. Please let me know how can i get this format. M=$(date +%m) Y=$(date +%Y) if ; then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranparsha
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert From Month Number to Month Name

Hi, I have a script that accepts an input date from the user in yyyy-mm-dd format. I need to get the mm-dd part and convert it to month name. example: 2011-11-15 I want that to become "Nov 15" I don't have the GNU date, I am using an AIX os. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erin00
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add decimal month to some month in sql, php, perl, bash, sh?

Hello, i`m looking for some way to add to some date an partial number of months, for example to 2015y 02m 27d + 2,54m i need to write this script in php or bash or sh or mysql or perl in normal time o unix time i`m asking or there are any simple way to add partial number of month to some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bacarrdy
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line and convert Month to Decimal

# Sample input common-name www.test.com.au expiration Dec 21 01:00:31 2017 GMT common-name www.test1.com.au expiration Jan 19 04:41:03 2018 GMT # Desired Output # Field 1: Domain name # Field 2: Date/time converted to Austraian format DD/MM/YYYY and on the same line as Domain Name. #... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thangbom
7 Replies
Date::Calc::PP(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Date::Calc::PP(3)

NAME
Date::Calc::PP - pure-Perl plug-in for Date::Calc SYNOPSIS
You never use this module directly. Use Date::Calc(3) instead! DESCRIPTION
You never use this module directly. Use Date::Calc(3) instead! SEE ALSO
Date::Calc(3), Date::Calc::XS(3). VERSION
This man page documents "Date::Calc::PP" version 6.3. AUTHOR
Steffen Beyer mailto:STBEY@cpan.org http://www.engelschall.com/u/sb/download/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995 - 2009 by Steffen Beyer. All rights reserved. LICENSE
This package is free software; you can use, modify and redistribute it under the same terms as Perl itself, i.e., at your option, under the terms either of the "Artistic License" or the "GNU General Public License". The C library at the core of the module "Date::Calc::XS" can, at your discretion, also be used, modified and redistributed under the terms of the "GNU Library General Public License". Please refer to the files "Artistic.txt", "GNU_GPL.txt" and "GNU_LGPL.txt" in the "license" subdirectory of this distribution for any details! DISCLAIMER
This package is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the "GNU General Public License" for more details. perl v5.16.3 2009-10-31 Date::Calc::PP(3)