Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Case Nesting
Operating Systems Linux Google Chrome OS Case Nesting Post 302358947 by ahmad.diab on Monday 5th of October 2009 09:05:00 AM
Old 10-05-2009
kindly find below the case command syntax:-

Code:
case "$variable" in
"$condition1" )
command...
;;
"$condition2" )
command...
;;
esac

Notes:-
1-Each test line ends with a right paren ).
2-Each condition block ends with a double semicolon ;;.
3-The entire case block terminates with an esac (case spelled backwards).
4-Quoting the variables is not mandatory, since word splitting does not take
place.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zip nesting empty folders

I'm using the following command to zip a project file, but when it finishes, the resulting zip file contains all the directories above the file I wanted zipped, myapp.app, each one empty until you get to the actual app. zip -r myapp.app.zip ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Isn't a shell found on a beach? Need help nesting if's or loops.

As of a week ago i thought a shell was somthing found on a beach. I'm a virgin when it comes to scripting and i'm having a really bad time here. What i need to do is prompt for a group number grep the /etc/groups to get the GID and name if it exists i want to prompt the user for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: switchkill
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore STDERR when nesting commands?

I have a pel script running as root that needs to read the contents of a file on a remote system, I have an ssh trust relationship as a particular user but not as root. I then need to write back out to that file again to change it's content a bit. On the surface this seemed really easy but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nesting backticks

I'm trying to make a dialog window that prints the output of grep that takes the output of find. Unfortunately my nested backticks don't work. Here is the dialog window: dialog --stdout --title "test" --backtitle "test" --msgbox "Test:\n `grep -l "${tablica}" `find $string``" 16 60I think I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starting_Leaf
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Nesting if statement in for loop

I have the basic command written in bash for element in 1 2 do if ]; then set el = "t" else set el = "p" fi done but i get the following error syntax error near unexpected token `for' ` for element in 1 2' What should i do differently? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue nesting variables in csh.

The variables given are already defined ($file1-$file3, $obsid1-$obsid3, and $n=3). When I go to run the code, the terminal outputs "Missing }." I believe the error is with the nesting of variables. It would save a lot of time getting this while loop working. set i = 1 while (${i} <=... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ojdefdidit
5 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)