Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Match File and Copy File Script (Homework, Closed) Post 302358664 by teteguru1 on Sunday 4th of October 2009 12:35:19 AM
Old 10-04-2009
Match File and Copy File Script (Homework, Closed)

Can you please help on this?

I am looking for the shell script which does following:-

step 1: It should open the file /u/manish/input/FileIndex.dat and read line by line

step 2: Once first line is read (for ex: File1), we have to find a file, that contains this matching filename in the data directory.

step3: if the matching filename is found in the /u/manish/data directory,
step4: These selected files are to be 'copied' to the /u/manish/output directory.

step5: back to step1, for reading the second and subsequent lines in the /u/manish/input/FileIndex.dat file.

Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

please help (closed homework thread)

I have these questions for my unix class that I can't figure out because I missed a couple of days. They are for a quiz we took last week so by answering the questions you are not bettering my grade or doing my homework. I just want to understand was the answers. My teacher is really bad at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djeung
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture new lines in a file and copy it to new file

Hi All, I have a file that gives me new line/output every 5 minutes. I need to create a script that capture new line/output besides "IN CRON_STATUS", in this case the new output is "begin ------ cron_status.sh - -----------". I want this script to capture the line starting from "begin ------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fara_aris
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy file from script file to remote computer

hi, i want copy one or group of file from a computer to others, but i have some problem that do not allow me to do this. i do this by scp command like this : scp <file name> root@cpName:destinationAddress but the problem is that it do not it automatically. it means when it is connecting to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MShirzadi
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to search for text in a file and copy file

Compete noob question.... I need a script to search through a directory and find files containing text string abcde1234 for example and then copy that file with that text string to another directory help please :eek: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imeadows
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

3 homework questions (thread closed)

1st) how can i print only directories? 2nd) how can i print files that someone used in the last X days (for example, 5). thanks very much, i need it for homework and teacher teachs us nothing:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SupErioR
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux unix help (homework, closed)

i have to do this but i am confused, Create a file containing the bash functions which perform the following tasks. Clearly label each function. Print out and turn in this file. 1.Write a function which displays the current date, time, username, and current directory. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CRAZYLITTLELOU
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Adding user with restrictions (Closed Homework)

Hello, I would to create a new user with some restriction: Example "Toto" I am a newer in unix please tell me how to do 1. The user will will have only remote access via FTP ( not telnet, ssh etc ...) 2. The user will not be able to access via FTP to other directory 4) He will access only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedeboubou
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to copy file small interval file

HI Guys whenever i post a transaction , abcd.in file is stored in the temp and vanishes when the transaction is compleated . the abcd.in file stays for 1 sec in temp is der any solution to capture the abcd.in file to another directory cp -r /tmp/abcd.in /tmp/smith.in when i used the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help - match file name and copy to Directory

I am trying to sort the following files from folder Bag to Apple, Cat Food, Dog Food. I can get all of the files I want into a new folder, but not sure of the best approch to get them to their final directory My Files ========== apple.1234.ext apple.1235.ext cat food 101.ext Cat Food... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtschroeder
2 Replies
VM(1)								      mgetty								     VM(1)

NAME
vm - VoiceModem is the program for handling the voice modem functionality from shell scripts ACTIONS
beep options [<frequency [<length in 0.001sec>]]> diagnostics options device name (e.g. ttyS2 dial options phone number help play options [<file names]+> record options file name shell options [<shell script [shell options]]> wait options [<time in seconds]> devicetest OPTIONS
-c n use compression type n -d n set i/o device -t, -m, -i, -e, -s, -H equals to -d <2,3,4,5,6,7> -l s set device string (e.g. -l ttyS2:ttyC0) -v verbose output -w use off / on hook signal from local handset to start and stop recording -x n set debug level -L n set maximum recording length in sec -P print first DTMF tone on stdout and exit -R read and print DTMF string on stdout and exit -S s set default shell for shell scripts (e.g. -S /bin/sh) -T n set silence timeout in 0.1sec -V n set silence threshold to <n> (0-100%%) SEE ALSO
vgetty(1) POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 30: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' Around line 32: '=item' outside of any '=over' Around line 71: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' perl v5.10.1 2010-04-04 VM(1)