Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing Header & Trailer from a file Post 302358411 by karthi_gana on Friday 2nd of October 2009 12:24:06 PM
Old 10-02-2009
Thanks Franklin!

I tested the second one. It works fine.

But i don't want to create another file. I tested the script as below

filename > filename. After executing the script, the <filename> becomes empty.

so isn't possible to remove the header & footer and store it in the same file itself?

Also can you tell me what is the difference between the first one and second one? i mean which will give give good performance?

Last edited by karthi_gana; 10-02-2009 at 01:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailer from a flat file!!!

Hi, I get some flat files with trailer which gives the totol records count and i want to remove the trailer from the file. i used the following command it works fine with a single file. cat file_name | grep -v 'Total records:' > file1 mv file file_name But i dont know how to remove the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy all the files with time stamp and remove header,trailer from file

All, I am new to unix and i have the following requirement. I have file(s) landing into input directory with timestamp, first i want to copy all these files into seperate directory then i want to rename these files without timestamp and also remove header,trailer from that file.. Could... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrams
35 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Header & Trailer for bulk volume data file

Hi all, I have a requirement to create a Header &Trailer for a file which is having 20 millions of records. If I use the following method, i think it will take more time. cat "Header"> file1.txt cat Data_File>>file1.txt cat "Trailer">>file1.txt since second CAT command has to read all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Header and Trailer records to a appended file

How can we a shell script and pass date parameters .I have 3 files comming from Datastage with |" delimited I need append 3 files as above: File1: P0000|"47416954|"AU|"000|"INS|"0000|"|"20060601|"99991231|"|"|"|"|"01 File 2:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: e1994264
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding header and trailer into a file

Hi, I want to add the below Header to all the files in sequence File1,File2,File3...etc "ABC,<number of chracter in the file>" e,g - If File1 is as below pqrstuvdt abcdefgh then I want to add the above header into it ,So that File1 becomes as below ABC,17 pqrstuvdt abcdefgh ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spari2
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last few characters in a file but keeping Header and trailer intact

Hi All, I am trying write a simple command using AWK and SED to this but without any success. Here is what I am using: head -1 test1.txt>test2.txt|sed '1d;$d' test1.txt|awk '{print substr($0,0,(length($0)-2))}' >>test2.txt|tail -1 test1.txt>>test2.txt Input: Header 1234567 abcdefgh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to validate file header and trailer

Hi, I need a script that validates a file header/detail/trailer. File layout is: Header - Rec_Type|File_name|File_Date Detail - Rec_Type|field1|field2|field3... Trailder - Rec_Type|File_name|File_Date|Record_count Sample Data: HDR|customer_data.dat|20120709... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash_sh
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verify the header and trailer in file

please see my requirement, I hope I am clear. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split and add header and trailer from input file

I need to split the file based on pattern from position 34-37 while retaining the header and trailer records in each individual split file Also is it possible to output the TOM and PAT records in the same output file ? I need the output file names same as xyz_pattern_Datetimestamp.txt ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: techedipro
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing Header and Trailer record of a EBCDIC file

I have a EBCDIC multi layout file which has a header record which is 21 bytes, The Detail records are 2427 bytes long and the trailer record is 9 bytes long. Is there a command to remove the header as well as trailer record and read only the detail records while at the same time not altering... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
1 Replies
Debian::Copyright::Stanza::Header(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		    Debian::Copyright::Stanza::Header(3pm)

NAME
Debian::Copyright::Stanza::Header - header stanza of Debian copyright file VERSION
This document describes Debian::Copyright::Stanza::Header version 0.1 . SYNOPSIS
my $copy = Debian::Copyright::Stanza::Header->new(\%data); print $copy; # auto-stringification DESCRIPTION
Debian::Copyright::Stanza::Header can be used for representation and manipulation of the header stanza of Debian copyright files in an object-oriented way. Converts itself to a textual representation in string context. FIELDS
The supported fields for header stanzas are listed below. Note that real copyright fields may contain dashes in their names. These are replaced with underscores. Format_Specification Name X_Comment Maintainer Source CONSTRUCTOR
new new( { field => value, ... } ) Creates a new Debian::Copyright::Stanza::Header object and optionally initialises it with the supplied data. SEE ALSO
Debian::Copyright::Stanza::Header inherits most of its functionality from Debian::Copyright::Stanza COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright (C) 2011 Nicholas Bamber nicholas@periapt.co.uk This module is substantially based upon Debian::Control::Stanza::Source. Copyright (C) 2009 Damyan Ivanov dmn@debian.org This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. perl v5.12.4 2011-08-27 Debian::Copyright::Stanza::Header(3pm)