Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Flash Archives - A little bit of help :-) Post 302358311 by sbk1972 on Friday 2nd of October 2009 05:27:31 AM
Old 10-02-2009
Flash Archives - A little bit of help :-)

Hi all

Okay, I know how to make flash archives, and I even know how to split them and extract files. But, Ive never used one to restore an OS drive and I might have to.

Ive search around google, and seen different ideas / ways, but havent really come to a definate answer. So, lets imagine Ive got a complete flash archive of my root drive. The root drive fails, and I need to restore the flash.

How do I do that ? Ive read that we pop in the dvd, boot up the system in mini root and during the installation process it asks you if you want to install via a flash archive and gives you options, nfs, local, tape, etc etc.

If my flash archive lives on another server, do I have to nfs share this out, then put this share / server name into the install question ? if so, what is the format ? When you tick the NFS option, does it open up another box asking for the server /mount name ? or does it search the network for nfs mounts ?

Being honest, the last build I did, via cd, was a solaris 2.6 server years ago :-) I recently did a few x86 builds of solaris 10. So, my buid knowlegde is rusty :-)

So, any how too's, tips, advice would be grateful.

SBK

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

flash archives

HI, are you supposed to run flarcreate in multi user mode? or should you do it in single user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. Solaris

bootable X86 dvd and flash archives

I have created a bootable DVD for X86 using a flash archive, the problem is that I have to specify the location at the beginning of the install. I have edited the any_machine profile under ./jumpstart_sample to contain the following install_type flash_install archive_location ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
4 Replies

5. Solaris

zfs and flash archives

i had a situation where an app i was running just didn't have enough resources on a proliant dl365 (running sol10x86). so i ended up building out a dl385g2. the dl365 had zfs root file system which was managing the whole disk (smart array taking the raid 1+0). anyway, i figured i could migrate the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flash causes 64-bit Ubuntu to crash

I've been running 64-bit Ubuntu for about 2 years now, but a few days ago it developed serious problems. Whenever I would load a Flash page* the computer would crash... well, sort of. The screen would go blank immediately, eventually causing the monitor to give the "no video detected" message. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
0 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Flash causes 64-bit Ubuntu to crash

I've been running 64-bit Ubuntu for about 2 years now, but a few days ago it developed serious problems. Whenever I would load a Flash page* the computer would crash... well, sort of. The screen would go blank immediately, eventually causing the monitor to give the "no video detected" message. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies
M16C-FLASH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     M16C-FLASH(1)

NAME
m16c-flash - Flash programmer for Renesas M16C and R8C microcontrollers SYNOPSIS
m16c-flash [COM_DEV] [CPU_TYPE] [FILE] [ID1:...:ID7] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
m16c-flash is a flash programmer for the Renesas M16C and R8C microcontrollers which operates in asynchronous mode. OPTIONS
COM_DEV The serial device to use for flashing, e.g. /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyUSB0. CPU_TYPE The CPU type you want to flash to (currently M16C or R8C). FILE The filename of the binary you want to flash. ID1:...:ID7 The device ID. --help Show a help text and exit. --version Show version information and exit. EXAMPLES
Flash the simple.s file onto an M16C microcontroller via the first serial port (/dev/ttyS0) using 0:0:0:0:0:0:0 as the device ID: m16c-flash /dev/ttyS0 M16C simple.s 0:0:0:0:0:0:0 Flash the test.mot file onto an R8C microcontroller via the USB serial device /dev/ttyUSB0, and using ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff as device ID: m16c-flash /dev/ttyUSB0 R8C test.mot ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff BUGS
Please report any bugs to Thomas Fischl <tfischl@gmx.de>. LICENCE
m16c-flash is covered by the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHORS
Greg Reynolds <greg@lostintheether.net> Jim Hawkridge <h046@eee-fs4.bham.ac.uk> Thomas Fischl <tfischl@gmx.de> This manual page was written by Uwe Hermann <uwe@hermann-uwe.de>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). August 20, 2006 M16C-FLASH(1)