Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help understanding sed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help understanding sed Post 302358131 by Scott on Thursday 1st of October 2009 11:51:45 AM
Old 10-01-2009
That's still not what I said (unless you copied it about 10 seconds after I wrote it! - which I guess you did) Smilie

I never used >>, only >

In any case, your own suggestion to use a single sed is cleaner and easier.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
function menu()
{
  echo "This program will convert Oracle schemas into SYBASE schemas."
}

menu
read -p "Please enter the file name that you wish to convert?" file
read -p "Please enter the name of the new file?" newFile

[ ! -f ${file:-$$} -o -z "$newfile" ] && echo "Source file doesn't exist or target not specified" && exit 1

sed "s/TO_DATE/CONVERT/g;s/TO_CHAR/CONVERT/g;s/VARCHAR2/VARCHAR/g;s/NUMBER/NUMERIC/g;s/DATE/DATETIME/g" $file > $newfile

Last edited by Scott; 10-01-2009 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Minor correction

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need further understanding of init.d

I needt o know how what init.d does and how it knows which dameons/applications to turn off and how to restart the applications after reboot. any OS - solaris/hp-ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the sed command

Guys, I am trying to understand the sed command here. adx001 $ a=/clocal/dctrdata/user/dctrdat1/trdroot/recouncil adx001 $ b=`echo $a | sed 's/\//\\\\\//g'` adx001 $ echo $b \/clocal\/dctrdata\/user\/dctrdat1\/trdroot\/recouncil The sed command i took it from the script. Please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help understanding mv

I just started shell coding and I'm a bit confused on how 'mv' works can someone explain to me how it works and if i did this correctly. Thanks. echo "Enter Name of the first file:" read file1 #echo $file1 if ; then echo "Sorry, file does not exist." exit 1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding sed command

Hi Friends, I need a small help in understanding the below sed command. $ cat t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init last $ sed 's/*$//' t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding sed

Hi, can some one suggest me,how "sed" is managed to delete the second field here. Any explanation on , how the below code is working would be appreciated. sed 's/^\(*\)::/\1::/' /etc/passwd sed 's/*:/:/2' /etc/passwd (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help in understanding this

Hi, I found this in a script and I would like to know how this works Code is here: # var1=PART1_PART2 # var2=${var1##*_} # echo $var2 PART2 I'm wondering how ##* makes the Shell to understand to pick up the last value from the given. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Quick help on Understanding sed Regex

Hi Guys, Could you please kindly explain what exactly the below SED command will do ? I am quite confused and i assumed that, sed 's/*$/ /' 1. It will remove tab and extra spaces .. with single space. The issue is if it is removing tab then it should be Î right .. please assist.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
3 Replies
OCI_FIELD_NAME(3)														 OCI_FIELD_NAME(3)

oci_field_name - Returns the name of a field from the statement

SYNOPSIS
string oci_field_name (resource $statement, mixed $field) DESCRIPTION
Returns the name of the $field. PARAMETERS
o $statement - A valid OCI statement identifier. o $field - Can be the field's index (1-based) or name. RETURN VALUES
Returns the name as a string, or FALSE on errors. EXAMPLES
Example #1 oci_field_name(3) example <?php // Create the table with: // CREATE TABLE mytab (number_col NUMBER, varchar2_col varchar2(1), // clob_col CLOB, date_col DATE); $conn = oci_connect("hr", "hrpwd", "localhost/XE"); if (!$conn) { $m = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($m['message']), E_USER_ERROR); } $stid = oci_parse($conn, "SELECT * FROM mytab"); oci_execute($stid, OCI_DESCRIBE_ONLY); // Use OCI_DESCRIBE_ONLY if not fetching rows echo "<table border="1"> "; echo "<tr>"; echo "<th>Name</th>"; echo "<th>Type</th>"; echo "<th>Length</th>"; echo "</tr> "; $ncols = oci_num_fields($stid); for ($i = 1; $i <= $ncols; $i++) { $column_name = oci_field_name($stid, $i); $column_type = oci_field_type($stid, $i); echo "<tr>"; echo "<td>$column_name</td>"; echo "<td>$column_type</td>"; echo "</tr> "; } echo "</table> "; // Outputs: // Name Type // NUMBER_COL NUMBER // VARCHAR2_COL VARCHAR2 // CLOB_COL CLOB // DATE_COL DATE oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> NOTES
Note In PHP versions before 5.0.0 you must use ocicolumnname(3) instead. This name still can be used, it was left as alias of oci_field_name(3) for downwards compatability. This, however, is deprecated and not recommended. SEE ALSO
oci_num_fields(3), oci_field_type(3), oci_field_size(3). PHP Documentation Group OCI_FIELD_NAME(3)