Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help understanding sed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help understanding sed Post 302358128 by Makaer on Thursday 1st of October 2009 11:46:51 AM
Old 10-01-2009
Sorry I did do what you said, but it didnt work, so I fiddled about with it, so I posted the wrong code last post.

This was the code when I tried your suggestion. But it still wouldnt work.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

function replaceDate()
{
sed 's/TO_DATE/CONVERT/g' $file >> $newFile
sed 's/TO_CHAR/CONVERT/g' $newfile>> $file
}

#Datatype conversion
function replaceWord()
{
sed 's/VARCHAR2/VARCHAR/g' $file >> $newFile
sed 's/NUMBER/NUMERIC/g' $newfile >> $file.$$
sed 's/DATE/DATETIME/g' $file.$$ >> $file
rm $newFile $file.$$
}
function menu()
{

echo "This program will convert Oracle schemas into SYBASE schemas."

}

menu

read -p "Please enter the file name that you wish to convert?" file
read -p "Please enter the name of the new file?" newFile

replaceDate
        replaceWord

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need further understanding of init.d

I needt o know how what init.d does and how it knows which dameons/applications to turn off and how to restart the applications after reboot. any OS - solaris/hp-ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the sed command

Guys, I am trying to understand the sed command here. adx001 $ a=/clocal/dctrdata/user/dctrdat1/trdroot/recouncil adx001 $ b=`echo $a | sed 's/\//\\\\\//g'` adx001 $ echo $b \/clocal\/dctrdata\/user\/dctrdat1\/trdroot\/recouncil The sed command i took it from the script. Please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help understanding mv

I just started shell coding and I'm a bit confused on how 'mv' works can someone explain to me how it works and if i did this correctly. Thanks. echo "Enter Name of the first file:" read file1 #echo $file1 if ; then echo "Sorry, file does not exist." exit 1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding sed command

Hi Friends, I need a small help in understanding the below sed command. $ cat t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init last $ sed 's/*$//' t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding sed

Hi, can some one suggest me,how "sed" is managed to delete the second field here. Any explanation on , how the below code is working would be appreciated. sed 's/^\(*\)::/\1::/' /etc/passwd sed 's/*:/:/2' /etc/passwd (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help in understanding this

Hi, I found this in a script and I would like to know how this works Code is here: # var1=PART1_PART2 # var2=${var1##*_} # echo $var2 PART2 I'm wondering how ##* makes the Shell to understand to pick up the last value from the given. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Quick help on Understanding sed Regex

Hi Guys, Could you please kindly explain what exactly the below SED command will do ? I am quite confused and i assumed that, sed 's/*$/ /' 1. It will remove tab and extra spaces .. with single space. The issue is if it is removing tab then it should be Î right .. please assist.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
3 Replies
Tcl_AllowExceptions(3TCL)				      Tcl Library Procedures					 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3TCL)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_AllowExceptions - allow all exceptions in next script evaluation SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_AllowExceptions(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which script will be evaluated. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If a script is evaluated at top-level (i.e. no other scripts are pending evaluation when the script is invoked), and if the script termi- nates with a completion code other than TCL_OK, TCL_ERROR or TCL_RETURN, then Tcl normally converts this into a TCL_ERROR return with an appropriate message. The particular script evaluation procedures of Tcl that act in the manner are Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_EvalObjv, Tcl_Eval, Tcl_EvalEx, Tcl_GlobalEval, Tcl_GlobalEvalObj, Tcl_VarEval and Tcl_VarEvalVA. However, if Tcl_AllowExceptions is invoked immediately before calling one of those a procedures, then arbitrary completion codes are per- mitted from the script, and they are returned without modification. This is useful in cases where the caller can deal with exceptions such as TCL_BREAK or TCL_CONTINUE in a meaningful way. KEYWORDS
continue, break, exception, interpreter ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 7.4 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3TCL)