Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: symbolic link
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting symbolic link Post 302358016 by tonijel on Thursday 1st of October 2009 06:23:04 AM
Old 10-01-2009
Ok, thanks , i did it so that i created /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ directory and then applied ln -s command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

1 symbolic link to 2 different places?

I was wondering is it possible todo something like following: A) Settings:- - 2 servers on the network - both can be reached via /net/SERVER1/datadir and /net/SERVER2/datadir - i'm running rsync to syncronize the data coming to server1 from whatever application B) Wanted: on other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Link Confusion

I have just tried to make my first shortcut aka symbolic link. I entered this command: ln -s /one/two/three/four/help/admin admindirectory to make a link called 'admindirectory' that would take me to: /one/two/three/four/help/admin It seems to have created a directory called... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link can i use find / path -type l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avtalan
1 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link, can i use find / path -type l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
HOVEL(3)						      Quick Database Manager							  HOVEL(3)

NAME
Hovel - the GDBM-compatible API of QDBM SYNOPSIS
#include <hovel.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> typedef struct { char *dptr; size_t dsize; } datum; extern char *gdbm_version; extern gdbm_error gdbm_errno; char *gdbm_strerror(gdbm_error gdbmerrno); GDBM_FILE gdbm_open(char *name, int block_size, int read_write, int mode, void (*fatal_func)(void)); GDBM_FILE gdbm_open2(char *name, int read_write, int mode, int bnum, int dnum, int align); void gdbm_close(GDBM_FILE dbf); int gdbm_store(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key, datum content, int flag); int gdbm_delete(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key); datum gdbm_fetch(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key); int gdbm_exists(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key); datum gdbm_firstkey(GDBM_FILE dbf); datum gdbm_nextkey(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key); void gdbm_sync(GDBM_FILE dbf); int gdbm_reorganize(GDBM_FILE dbf); int gdbm_fdesc(GDBM_FILE dbf); int gdbm_setopt(GDBM_FILE dbf, int option, int *value, int size); DESCRIPTION
Hovel is the API which is compatible with GDBM. So, Hovel wraps functions of Depot and Curia as API of GDBM. It is easy to port an appli- cation from GDBM to QDBM. In most cases, you should only replace the includings of `gdbm.h' with `hovel.h' and replace the linking option `-lgdbm' with `-lqdbm'. Hovel cannot handle database files made by the original GDBM. In order to use Hovel, you should include `hovel.h', `stdlib.h', `sys/types.h' and `sys/stat.h' in the source files. Usually, the follow- ing description will be near the beginning of a source file. #include <hovel.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> An object of `GDBM_FILE' is used as a database handle. A database handle is opened with the function `gdbm_open' and closed with `gdbm_close'. You should not refer directly to any member of a handle. Although Hovel works as a wrapper of Depot and handles a database file usually, if you use the function `gdbm_open2' to open the handle, it is possible to make behavior of a handle as a wrapper of Curia and treat a database directory. Structures of `datum' type is used in order to give and receive data of keys and values with functions of Hovel. typedef struct { char *dptr; size_t dsize; } datum; `dptr' specifies the pointer to the region of a key or a value. `dsize' specifies the size of the region. The external variable `gdbm_version' is the string containing the version information. extern char *gdbm_version; The external variable `gdbm_errno' is assigned with the last happened error code. Refer to `hovel.h' for details of the error codes. extern gdbm_error gdbm_errno; The initial value of this variable is `GDBM_NO_ERROR'. The other values are `GDBM_MALLOC_ERROR', `GDBM_BLOCK_SIZE_ERROR', `GDBM_FILE_OPEN_ERROR', `GDBM_FILE_WRITE_ERROR', `GDBM_FILE_SEEK_ERROR', `GDBM_FILE_READ_ERROR', `GDBM_BAD_MAGIC_NUMBER', `GDBM_EMPTY_DATABASE', `GDBM_CANT_BE_READER', `GDBM_CANT_BE_WRITER', `GDBM_READER_CANT_DELETE', `GDBM_READER_CANT_STORE', `GDBM_READER_CANT_REORGANIZE', `GDBM_UNKNOWN_UPDATE', `GDBM_ITEM_NOT_FOUND', `GDBM_REORGANIZE_FAILED', `GDBM_CANNOT_REPLACE', `GDBM_ILLEGAL_DATA', `GDBM_OPT_ALREADY_SET', and `GDBM_OPT_ILLEGAL'. The function `gdbm_strerror' is used in order to get a message string corresponding to an error code. char *gdbm_strerror(gdbm_error gdbmerrno); `gdbmerrno' specifies an error code. The return value is the message string of the error code. The region of the return value is not writable. The function `gdbm_open' is used in order to get a database handle after the fashion of GDBM. GDBM_FILE gdbm_open(char *name, int block_size, int read_write, int mode, void (*fatal_func)(void)); `name' specifies the name of a database. `block_size' is ignored. `read_write' specifies the connection mode: `GDBM_READER' as a reader, `GDBM_WRITER', `GDBM_WRCREAT' and `GDBM_NEWDB' as a writer. `GDBM_WRCREAT' makes a database file or directory if it does not exist. `GDBM_NEWDB' makes a new database even if it exists. You can add the following to writer modes by bitwise or: `GDBM_SYNC', `GDBM_NOLOCK', `GDBM_LOCKNB', `GDBM_FAST', and `GDBM_SPARSE'. `GDBM_SYNC' means a database is synchronized after every updating method. `GDBM_NOLOCK' means a database is opened without file locking. `GDBM_LOCKNB' means file locking is performed without blocking. `GDBM_FAST' is ignored. `GDBM_SPARSE' is an original mode of QDBM and makes database a sparse file. `mode' specifies mode of a database file as the one of `open' call does. `fatal_func' is ignored. The return value is the database handle or `NULL' if it is not successful. The function `gdbm_open2' is used in order to get a database handle after the fashion of QDBM. GDBM_FILE gdbm_open2(char *name, int read_write, int mode, int bnum, int dnum, int align); `name' specifies the name of a database. `read_write' specifies the connection mode: `GDBM_READER' as a reader, `GDBM_WRITER', `GDBM_WRCREAT' and `GDBM_NEWDB' as a writer. `GDBM_WRCREAT' makes a database file or directory if it does not exist. `GDBM_NEWDB' makes a new database even if it exists. You can add the following to writer modes by bitwise or: `GDBM_SYNC', `GDBM_NOLOCK', `GDBM_LOCKNB', `GDBM_FAST', and `GDBM_SPARSE'. `GDBM_SYNC' means a database is synchronized after every updating method. `GDBM_NOLOCK' means a database is opened without file locking. `GDBM_LOCKNB' means file locking is performed without blocking. `GDBM_FAST' is ignored. `GDBM_SPARSE' is an original mode of QDBM and makes database sparse files. `mode' specifies a mode of a database file or a database directory as the one of `open' or `mkdir' call does. `bnum' specifies the number of elements of each bucket array. If it is not more than 0, the default value is specified. `dnum' specifies the number of division of the database. If it is not more than 0, the returning handle is created as a wrapper of Depot, else, it is as a wrapper of Curia. `align' speci- fies the basic size of alignment. The return value is the database handle or `NULL' if it is not successful. If the database already exists, whether it is one of Depot or Curia is measured automatically. The function `gdbm_close' is used in order to close a database handle. void gdbm_close(GDBM_FILE dbf); `dbf' specifies a database handle. Because the region of the closed handle is released, it becomes impossible to use the handle. The function `gdbm_store' is used in order to store a record. int gdbm_store(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key, datum content, int flag); `dbf' specifies a database handle connected as a writer. `key' specifies a structure of a key. `content' specifies a structure of a value. `flag' specifies behavior when the key overlaps, by the following values: `GDBM_REPLACE', which means the specified value overwrites the existing one, `GDBM_INSERT', which means the existing value is kept. The return value is 0 if it is successful, 1 if it gives up because of overlaps of the key, -1 if other error occurs. The function `gdbm_delete' is used in order to delete a record. int gdbm_delete(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key); `dbf' specifies a database handle connected as a writer. `key' specifies a structure of a key. The return value is 0 if it is suc- cessful, -1 if some errors occur. The function `gdbm_fetch' is used in order to retrieve a record. datum gdbm_fetch(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key); `dbf' specifies a database handle. `key' specifies a structure of a key. The return value is a structure of the result. If a record corresponds, the member `dptr' of the structure is the pointer to the region of the value. If no record corresponds or some errors occur, `dptr' is `NULL'. Because the region pointed to by `dptr' is allocated with the `malloc' call, it should be released with the `free' call if it is no longer in use. The function `gdbm_exists' is used in order to check whether a record exists or not. int gdbm_exists(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key); `dbf' specifies a database handle. `key' specifies a structure of a key. The return value is true if a record corresponds and no error occurs, or false, else, it is false. The function `gdbm_firstkey' is used in order to get the first key of a database. datum gdbm_firstkey(GDBM_FILE dbf); `dbf' specifies a database handle. The return value is a structure of the result. If a record corresponds, the member `dptr' of the structure is the pointer to the region of the first key. If no record corresponds or some errors occur, `dptr' is `NULL'. Because the region pointed to by `dptr' is allocated with the `malloc' call, it should be released with the `free' call if it is no longer in use. The function `gdbm_nextkey' is used in order to get the next key of a database. datum gdbm_nextkey(GDBM_FILE dbf, datum key); `dbf' specifies a database handle. The return value is a structure of the result. If a record corresponds, the member `dptr' of the structure is the pointer to the region of the next key. If no record corresponds or some errors occur, `dptr' is `NULL'. Because the region pointed to by `dptr' is allocated with the `malloc' call, it should be released with the `free' call if it is no longer in use. The function `gdbm_sync' is used in order to synchronize updating contents with the file and the device. void gdbm_sync(GDBM_FILE dbf); `dbf' specifies a database handle connected as a writer. The function `gdbm_reorganize' is used in order to reorganize a database. int gdbm_reorganize(GDBM_FILE dbf); `dbf' specifies a database handle connected as a writer. If successful, the return value is 0, else -1. The function `gdbm_fdesc' is used in order to get the file descriptor of a database file. int gdbm_fdesc(GDBM_FILE dbf); `dbf' specifies a database handle connected as a writer. The return value is the file descriptor of the database file. If the database is a directory the return value is -1. The function `gdbm_setopt' has no effect. int gdbm_setopt(GDBM_FILE dbf, int option, int *value, int size); `dbf' specifies a database handle. `option' is ignored. `size' is ignored. The return value is 0. The function is only for com- patibility. If QDBM was built with POSIX thread enabled, the global variable `gdbm_errno' is treated as thread specific data, and functions of Hovel are reentrant. In that case, they are thread-safe as long as a handle is not accessed by threads at the same time, on the assumption that `errno', `malloc', and so on are thread-safe. SEE ALSO
qdbm(3), depot(3), curia(3), relic(3), cabin(3), villa(3), odeum(3), ndbm(3), gdbm(3) Man Page 2004-04-22 HOVEL(3)