Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: symbolic link
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting symbolic link Post 302358006 by ahmad.diab on Thursday 1st of October 2009 06:10:37 AM
Old 10-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonijel
Hi,
i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong.

Code:
oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd
/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS
oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/
oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS>
oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ls -l
total 2568492
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall   9748480 2009-10-01 11:25 control01.ctl
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall   9748480 2009-10-01 11:25 control02.ctl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle oinstall        20 2009-10-01 11:25 dbf -> /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 104858112 2009-10-01 11:11 redo11.rdo
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 104858112 2009-10-01 11:11 redo12.rdo
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 104858112 2009-10-01 11:22 redo21.rdo
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 104858112 2009-10-01 11:22 redo22.rdo
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 104858112 2009-10-01 11:25 redo31.rdo
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 104858112 2009-10-01 11:25 redo32.rdo
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 629153792 2009-10-01 11:21 sysaux01.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 734011392 2009-10-01 11:25 system01.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall  67117056 2009-09-30 22:00 temp01.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 602939392 2009-10-01 11:25 undotbs01.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall   5251072 2009-10-01 11:16 users01.dbf
oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> cd dbf
-bash: cd: dbf: No such file or directory
oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> cd /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/
-bash: cd: /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/: No such file or directory

Code:
The syntax of the command is a bit tricky. For example: ln -s oldfile newfile links the
previously existing oldfile to the newly created link, newfile.

in your case there are no newfile name you must put it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

1 symbolic link to 2 different places?

I was wondering is it possible todo something like following: A) Settings:- - 2 servers on the network - both can be reached via /net/SERVER1/datadir and /net/SERVER2/datadir - i'm running rsync to syncronize the data coming to server1 from whatever application B) Wanted: on other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Link Confusion

I have just tried to make my first shortcut aka symbolic link. I entered this command: ln -s /one/two/three/four/help/admin admindirectory to make a link called 'admindirectory' that would take me to: /one/two/three/four/help/admin It seems to have created a directory called... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link can i use find / path -type l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avtalan
1 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link, can i use find / path -type l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
CHING(6)							   Games Manual 							  CHING(6)

NAME
ching, fortune - the book of changes and other cookies SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/ching [ hexagram ] /usr/games/fortune DESCRIPTION
The I Ching or Book of Changes is an ancient Chinese oracle that has been in use for centuries as a source of wisdom and advice. The text of the oracle (as it is sometimes known) consists of sixty-four hexagrams, each symbolized by a particular arrangement of six straight (---) and broken (- -) lines. These lines have values ranging from six through nine, with the even values indicating the broken lines. Each hexagram consists of two major sections. The Judgement relates specifically to the matter at hand (E.g., "It furthers one to have somewhere to go.") while the Image describes the general attributes of the hexagram and how they apply to one's own life ("Thus the supe- rior man makes himself strong and untiring."). When any of the lines have the values six or nine, they are moving lines; for each there is an appended judgement which becomes signifi- cant. Furthermore, the moving lines are inherently unstable and change into their opposites; a second hexagram (and thus an additional judgement) is formed. Normally, one consults the oracle by fixing the desired question firmly in mind and then casting a set of changes (lines) using yarrow-stalks or tossed coins. The resulting hexagram will be the answer to the question. Using an algorithm suggested by S. C. Johnson, the Unix oracle simply reads a question from the standard input (up to an EOF) and hashes the individual characters in combination with the time of day, process id and any other magic numbers which happen to be lying around the system. The resulting value is used as the seed of a random number generator which drives a simulated coin-toss divination. The answer is then piped through nroff for formatting and will appear on the standard output. For those who wish to remain steadfast in the old traditions, the oracle will also accept the results of a personal divination using, for example, coins. To do this, cast the change and then type the resulting line values as an argument. The impatient modern may prefer to settle for Chinese cookies; try fortune. SEE ALSO
It furthers one to see the great man. DIAGNOSTICS
The great prince issues commands, Founds states, vests families with fiefs. Inferior people should not be employed. BUGS
Waiting in the mud Brings about the arrival of the enemy. If one is not extremely careful, Somebody may come up from behind and strike him. Misfortune. CHING(6)