Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating table in Unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating table in Unix Post 302358005 by pravin27 on Thursday 1st of October 2009 06:07:11 AM
Old 10-01-2009
Code:
#!/bin/sh

ls -latr | awk '{printf ("%-20s %s %-20s \n",$9,$1,$5)}' > test_list_files

while read line
do
         file_type=`echo $line | awk '{print($2)}' | cut -c1`
         if [ -z "$file_type" ]
         then
                continue
          fi

file_name=`echo $line | awk '{print($1)}'`
         if [ "$file_name" == "test_list_files" ]
         then
                continue
         fi

file_permission=`echo $line | awk '{print($2)}'`
         file_size=`echo $line | awk '{print($3)}'`

hidden_files=`echo "$line" | grep "^\."`
         if [ -n "$hidden_files" ]
         then
                printf "%-20s\n $line \t HIDDEN"
                continue
         fi

if [ "$file_type" == "-" ]
         then
                printf "%-20s \n $line \t NORMAL FILE"
        elif [ "$file_type" == "d" ]
        then
                printf "%-20s\n $line \t DIRECTORY"
        elif [ "$file_type" == "c" ]
        then
                printf "%-20s \n $line \tCHAR DEVICE"
        elif [ "$file_type" == "b" ]
        then
                printf "%-20s \n $line  \t BLOCK DEVICE"
        fi
        hidden_files=''

done  < test_list_files

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating a hash table using shell script

Hi, For one of my programs, I need to have a hashtable as in Perl. Unfortunately shell doesnt provide any variable like hash. Is there anyway/trick, I could implement a hash in shell (using shell scripts/sed/awk). JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. Programming

Creating a Hash Table

Dear Friends, I want to create a hash table using the standard Glib header (if possible) so that I can store a structure and keep the hash key(search key) based on a string. Any example code would be great since I am not able to get the main idea. best regards Skull (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmetheskull
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a table (graphic not database)

Hi, I want to create a table on our unix box that allows the user to tab through it and select certain option by putting an asterix or similair into it. e.g. -------------- |Start App | | |Stop App |*| etc... Can this be done using a script (never seen any graphics options in ksh, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
2 Replies

4. Programming

Creating a table like format with rows and columns

I have few files which have two columns in each. like e2 1 1 2694 2 4 2485 3 2 2098 5 1 2079 6 5 2022 9 4 1734 11 5 1585 13 2 1461 18 1 1092 21 2 1019 24 1 915 25 3 907 27 1 891 28 3 890 34 1 748 39 1 700 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamuju
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a table

I have a file like below Iter 1: Best Model = 10.0 12.0 13.0 17.0 23.3 78.7 Iter 2: Best Model = 10.0 20.0 30.0 40.0 50.0 60.0 Iter 3: Best Model = 27.3 46.3 84.5 23.0 34.5 35.4 etc I want to use a scipts using csh or awk to select the iteration number and show the numbers in a table... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

6. Web Development

MYSQL: Creating Dynamic Table Names 5.1

Hey everyone. Thanks for looking at this. I'm trying to create a table with the dynamic name of TableName + today's date. My variables are all happily created but the system chokes when I try to create the new table name example: Set @BFBW = CONCAT("BFBW", CURDATE()); Select @BFBW; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a condensed table from a pre-existing table in putty

Hello, I'm working with putty on Windows 7 professional and I'd like to know if there's a way to gather specific lines from a pre-existing table and make a new table with that information. More specifically, I'd like the program to look at a specific column, say column N, and see if any of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deedee393
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert Command Creating Table Locking Problem

Hi, i have a java based tool which does insert operation in a TABLE, and in parallel the same table is used by my C++ code which does select Query. the Table will be always busy, but sometimes the table is getting locked when i try to make an insert, am bit confused whether the lock is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating html table from data in file

Hi. I need to create html table from file which contains data. No awk please :) In example, ->cat file num1 num2 num3 23 3 5 2 3 4 (between numbers and words single TAB). after running mycode i need to get (heading is the first line): <table>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manu1234567
2 Replies
PRUNEHISTORY(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   PRUNEHISTORY(8)

NAME
prunehistory - remove file names from Usenet history file SYNOPSIS
prunehistory [ -f filename ] [ -p ] [ input ] DESCRIPTION
Prunehistory modifies the history(5) text file to ``remove'' a set of filenames from it. The filenames are removed by overwriting them with spaces, so that the size and position of any following entries does not change. Prunehistory reads the named input file, or standard input if no file is given. The input is taken as a set of lines. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines are should consist of a Message-ID followed by zero or more file- names. The Messge-ID is used as the dbz(3) key to get an offset into the text file. If no filenames are mentioned on the input line, then all filenames in the text are ``removed.'' If any filenames are mentioned, they are converted into the history file notation. If they appear in the line for the specified Message-ID then they are removed. Since innd(8) only appends to the text file, prunehistory does not need to have any interaction with it. OPTIONS
-p Prunehistory will normally complain about lines that do not follow the correct format. If the ``-p'' flag is used, then the program will silently print any invalid lines on its standard output. (Blank lines and comment lines are also passed through.) This can be useful when prunehistory is used as a filter for other programs such as reap. -f The default name of the history file is /var/lib/news/history; to specify a different name, use the ``-f'' flag. EXAMPLES
It is a good idea to delete purged entries and rebuild the dbz database every so often by using a script like the following: ctlinnd throttle "Rebuilding history database" cd /var/lib/news awk 'NF > 2 { printf "%s %s %s", $1, $2, $3; for (i = 4; i <= NF; i++) printf " %s", $i; print " "; }' <history >history.n if makehistory -r -f history.n ; then mv history.n history mv history.n.pag history.pag mv history.n.dir history.dir else echo 'Problem rebuilding history; old file not replaced' fi ctlinnd go "Rebuilding history database" Note that this keeps no record of expired articles. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.9, dated 1996/10/29. SEE ALSO
dbz(3), history(5), innd(8). PRUNEHISTORY(8)