Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to recursively search and destroy tabs Post 302357798 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 03:29:12 PM
Old 09-30-2009
Hi scottn,

I just tried and my grep (GNU grep 2.5.3) does not understand \t, it works fine with ctrl-v TAB however. With "\t" or '\t' it lists all the lines that contain the letter 't' .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for a good way to search & destroy lines

What is a good way to find an entry in a .conf file and then remove all lines associated with that entry? I have a Samba server running on Linux that I would like to easily add/remove share entries in the smb.conf file without removing or deleting lines that are not associated with that section.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively search for most recent modification

Hello all, I'm trying to determine when the last time a file in a certain directory was modified. I don't care what file it is, I just want to know when it was last updated. So far I have ls -aRl --full-time --sort=time which is close. The problem is that it only sorts within folders, not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokisapocalypse
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search and replace recursively

Hi, I tried making a shell script which recursively search in a given directory for all files *.txt and then search and replace some text and after that save each file as $filename.dynamips.txt I would like to get this done with sed. I tried but couldn't get it to work. BTW this is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2bone
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -s does not search recursively

I would like to export the 5th line from every file within a directory. I am using GNU sed because we have no Unix or Linux environment. I used the following statement: sed -s -n 5p c:\directory\*.* but I only get the 5th line from one of the files in the directory. I am desperate for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hollingv
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?

Hi all, how to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?? for example: suppose i have kept all the keywords in a file called "procnamelist" (in separate line) and i have to search recursively in a directory called "target/dir" if i am not doing recursive search then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
4 Replies

6. Linux

Search files recursively

grep pattern filename To search for the pattern in all files in the current directory and the sub-directories recursively, what needs to be substituted in filename? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursively search the string from a column in no. of files

i have a file named keyword.csv(contains around 8k records) which contains a no. of columns. The 5th column contains all the keywords. I want to recursively search these keywords in all .pl files(around 1k) and display the filename....Afterthat i will use the filename and some of the column from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and recursively enter new line after Nth character

Hi All, My file is a string of around 50K character. I'm trying to insert new line after every 320 character in my file. I know the command to insert newline, but problem is I'm not able to search 320th position. Please advice. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit786
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Destroy Script Direction Help

Being a beginner in scripting I am not sure the direction to take to accomplish the below task and would love suggestions. GOAL input file: domains.list Read input file, search in named.conf and find domain and delete entry for the purpose of cleanup activity. named.conf entry example zone... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: djzah
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search/Replace in multiple files recursively

Hi there, I am using AIX and trying to search and replace a string with another string in multiple files in different directories. I wanted to search replace in steps so I don't change all of the instance anywhere in the server at once, minimizing impact. STEP 1: -------- I first searched... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaino22
5 Replies