Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting extra files with similar filenames Post 302357764 by smpatil4 on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 01:35:38 PM
Old 09-30-2009
Deleting extra files with similar filenames

Hello,

I have a large amount of files under a root directory, with several sub-directories, and many of these sub-directories have similar files with similar names. I need to clean this up.

The filenames are of the format:

Code:
/path/to/dir/subdir/file name.dat
/path/to/dir/subdir/file name 1.dat

I want to keep only
Code:
/path/to/dir/filename.dat

and remove the other file. I have tried some tools including fslint, but it didn't work because the actual content of the files may vary slightly.

Help in creating a bash script or similar to weed out the unneeded files would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending text to a number of similar filenames

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to append something to filenames based on a wildcard. For example, if I have the following files in a directory: blah1 blah2 blah3 blah4 blah5 I want to rename these all to: blah1.txt blah2.txt blah3.txt blah4.txt blah5.txt Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the similar lines

Dear Friends myself Avinash working in bash shell The problem goes like this I have a file called work.txt assume that first colum=mac address second colum= IP third colum = port number ---------------------------------------- 00:12:23:34 192.168.50.1 2 00:12:23:35 192.168.50.1 5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avi.skynet
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh script for deleting extra spaces in text file

I am new to scripting and I needed to know if there would be an easy way to delete extra spaces in a text file. I have a file with three rows with 22 numbers each, but there is extra spaces between the numbers when it gets output by this program AFNI that I am using. What script would help delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing extra files in dos

Hi, I have same file by name i want to keep only access file and want to delete rest. This is specific to DOS only. Any idea of doing this. I tried so many options but none worked for me. Thanks Namish (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare the similar files

I got many pair files, which only have small difference, such as more space, or more empty line, and some unreadable characters. If list by commend "diff", I can see many many difference. So I'd like to write a script to compare the pair files, if 95% contents are same, I will think they are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdcwayx
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What extra Parameters I can use for archiving log files

Hello All, I have developed a script which takes following parameter from the input file to archive log files 1)Input Path 2)File pattern(*.csv) 3)Number of days(+1) Following is the algorithm of my script Read the input file go to that path and search for particular n days older... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitsyjohn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find similar values in different files

Hello, I have 4 files like this: file1: cg24163616 15 297 cg09335911 123 297 cg13515808 565 776 cg12242345 499 705 cg22905282 225 427 cg16674860 286 779 cg14251734 303 724 cg19316579 211 717 cg00612625 422 643 file2:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linseyr
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking to find files that are similar.

Hello all, I have a server that is running AIX, running a tool that converts various printstreams (AFP/Metadata) to PDF. This is done using a rexx script and an off the shelf utility. Each report (there's around 125) uses a certain script file, it's basically a text file. I am trying... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting files using extra buffer

i want to sort a file which was 4gb of data. my ram sixe was 2gb. so, i want to sort that file using extra buffer , is it possible in unix? if possible plz help me thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh1987
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Getting similar lines in two files

Hi, I need to compare the /etc/passwd files from 2 servers, and extract the users that are similar in these two files. I sorted the 2 files based on the user IDs (UID) (3rd column). I first sorted the files using the username (1st column), however when I use comm to compare the files there is no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
OPENDIR(3)								 1								OPENDIR(3)

opendir - Open directory handle

SYNOPSIS
resource opendir (string $path, [resource $context]) DESCRIPTION
Opens up a directory handle to be used in subsequent closedir(3), readdir(3), and rewinddir(3) calls. PARAMETERS
o $path - The directory path that is to be opened o $context - For a description of the $context parameter, refer to the streams section of the manual. RETURN VALUES
Returns a directory handle resource on success, or FALSE on failure. If $path is not a valid directory or the directory can not be opened due to permission restrictions or filesystem errors, opendir(3) returns FALSE and generates a PHP error of level E_WARNING. You can suppress the error output of opendir(3) by prepending '@' to the front of the function name. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.0.0 | | | | | | | $path supports the ftp:// URL wrapper. | | | | | 4.3.0 | | | | | | | $path can also be any URL which supports direc- | | | tory listing, however only the file:// URL wrap- | | | per supports this in PHP 4 | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 opendir(3) example <?php $dir = "/etc/php5/"; // Open a known directory, and proceed to read its contents if (is_dir($dir)) { if ($dh = opendir($dir)) { while (($file = readdir($dh)) !== false) { echo "filename: $file : filetype: " . filetype($dir . $file) . " "; } closedir($dh); } } ?> The above example will output something similar to: filename: . : filetype: dir filename: .. : filetype: dir filename: apache : filetype: dir filename: cgi : filetype: dir filename: cli : filetype: dir SEE ALSO
is_dir(3), readdir(3), dir(3). PHP Documentation Group OPENDIR(3)