Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot create pipe
Operating Systems SCO Cannot create pipe Post 302357719 by jgt on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 12:11:38 PM
Old 09-30-2009
Run scoadmin, and select "hardware/kernel manager" then adjust Streams parameters (option 20), relink the kernel and reboot.
Assuming you are using Openserver 5.0.x or 6.0
On older releases 3.2.4 run sysadm.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do I create desktop icons for the shell programs I create???

I am a bash shell programmer and I create programs on occasional basis. Now, I dont want my programs to be run by typing out its name at a command line. I want to make it as user friendly as possible. I want to create icons on the desktop so users can click on it. mind you, I said "desktop... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't create more pipe

How can I change the maxnumber of pipes on my workstation? I'm running an EXPECT script that is suppose to start up 32 xterms. But after 18 opened xterm, I get this msg: - couldn't create pipe: too many open files regard, chris (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uabcbac
9 Replies

3. Programming

Create a pipe to /dev/tty

Hello everybody: I have a child process which reads a password from /dev/tty, as far as I know file descriptors for the child process can be seen by using lsof, so I want to connect to such device in order to send the password through a pipe, how could I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
2 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash code to create named Pipe

Guy's, I need help with creating a pipe, I found this code online but not exactly sure what different parts are doing. Will someone be able to help me with explaining what code is doing? Also what I want is to have everything the same directory. Meaning I am working in directory: I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to create one's own pipe in one's own shell?

Good evening, I'm trying to do my own shell and I encountered some issues while creating it. Indeed when I try such a command I have DAUPHINE> DAUPHINE> ls -l | grep terminal > fichier DAUPHINE> cat fichier My shell is named DAUPHINE Whereas I should have: Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntoineCompagni
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to create variables to pass into a bash loop to create a download link

I have created one file that contains all the necessary info in it to create a download link. In each of the lines /results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-6-Medexome_67_032/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.67... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
HALT(8) 						Linux System Administrator's Manual						   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p] [-h] /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-h] DESCRIPTION
halt notes that the system is being brought down in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells the kernel to halt, reboot or power-off the system. If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage. The rest of this manpage describes the behaviour in runlevels 0 and 6, that is when the systems shutdown scripts are being run. OPTIONS
-n Don't sync before reboot or halt. Note that the kernel and storage drivers may still sync. This implies -d. -w Don't actually reboot or halt but only write the wtmp record (in the /var/log/wtmp file). -d Don't write the wtmp record. -f Force halt or reboot, don't call shutdown(8). -i Shut down all network interfaces just before halt or reboot. -h Put all hard drives on the system in stand-by mode just before halt or power-off. -p When halting the system, switch off the power. This is the default when halt is called as poweroff. DIAGNOSTICS
If you're not the superuser, you will get the message `must be superuser'. NOTES
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot. The -h flag puts all hard disks in standby mode just before halt or power-off. Right now this is only implemented for IDE drives. A side effect of putting the drive in stand-by mode is that the write cache on the disk is flushed. This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn't flush the write cache itself before power-off. The halt program uses /proc/ide/hd* to find all IDE disk devices, which means that /proc needs to be mounted when halt or poweroff is called or the -h switch will do nothing. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8) Nov 6, 2001 HALT(8)