Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: print specific strings only
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting print specific strings only Post 302357455 by genehunter on Tuesday 29th of September 2009 11:46:24 PM
Old 09-30-2009
The number of fields are not equal and the delimiters for the fields are also not the same as in the example above.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove specific strings from certain fields

I'm working with a set of files where I'm trying to remove a set of characters from specific fields. The files are comma-delimited, and the characters I want to remove include: - open parentheses - ( - close parentheses - ) - space followed by a dollar sign - $ I don't want to remove every... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print first few lines, then apply regex on a specific column to print results.

abc.dat tty cpu tin tout us sy wt id 0 0 7 3 19 71 extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 133.2 0.0 682.9 0.0 1.0 0.0 7.2 0 79 c1t0d0 0.2 180.4 0.1 5471.2 3.0 2.8 16.4 15.6 15 52 aaaaaa1-xx I want to skip first 5 line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Specific lines when found specific character

Hello all, I have thousand file input like this: file1: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ UERT | TTYH | TAFE | FRFG |$$ $$______|______|________|______|$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ 1 | DISK | TR1311 | 1 |$$ $$ 1 |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Detect Specific Pattern and Print the Specific String after It?

I'm still beginner and maybe someone can help me. I have this input: the great warrior a, b, c and what i want to know is, with awk, how can i detect the string with 'warrior' string on it and print the a, b, and c seperately, become like this : Warrior Type a b c Im still very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radynaraya
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting specific strings from output

so i have the following string: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print with awk specific field different from specific character?

Hello, i need help with awk. I have this file: cat number DirB port 67 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 71 er_enc_out 56 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 74 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 75 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elilmal
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing lines with specific strings at specific columns

Hi I have a file which is tab-delimited. Now, I'd like to print the lines which have "chr6" string in both first and second columns. Could anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print multiple specific column after a specific word?

Hello.... Pls help me (and sorry my english) :) So I have a file (test.txt) with 1 long line.... for example: isgc jsfh udgf osff 8462 error iwzr 653 idchisfb isfbisfb sihfjfeb isfhsi gcz eifh How to print after the "error" word the 2nd 4th 5th and 7th word?? output well be: 653 isfbisfb... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marvinandco
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete specific strings in a file

Hi, My file has a numerous sttrings.I want to retain those strings which start with stt and delete entries with >C For eg: my infile is >C4603985... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract fields containing specific strings?

Hello I have a log file with thousands of lines like below Sep 21 13:02:52 lnxtst01 kernel: New TCP in: IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:1a:4b:50:b7:32:00:08:e3:ff:fc:04:08:00 SRC=10.184.46.4 DST=10.162.139.21 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=59 ID=52961 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=55688 DPT=22 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
3 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)