Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete characters using a file Post 302357246 by sanjay.login on Tuesday 29th of September 2009 07:51:34 AM
Old 09-29-2009
what about c to z and c to Z and a,b,A and B.
Please make it very clear.or only you want to delete the special character which are not in config file.

regards,
Sanjay

---------- Post updated at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:17 PM ----------

if it is only regarding the special character then you can use tr command:

Code:
tr -d ';,._' < textfile

regards,
Sanjay

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to insert and delete characters in the middle of file

I have a problem that I want to insert and delete some chars in the middle of a file. fopen() and fdopen() just allow to append at the end. Is there any simple method or existing library that allow these actions? Thanks in advance.:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a file with special characters

I don't now exactly how I did it, but I created a file named " -C " cexdi:/home1 $ls -lt total 1801336 -rw------- 1 cexdi ced-group 922275840 23 mars 10:03 -C How do I delete this file ? cexdi:/home1 $rm -C rm: invalid option -- C Syntax : rm filename ... Doesn't work...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yveslagace
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete non printable characters from file

i have a file which contains non printable characters like enter,escape etc i want to delete them from the file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete M-^M characters from a file

I am receiving a file with 'M-^M' characters...how do I get rid of these characters. I tried tr -d '\015' and sed '/^M//g', but they didnot work. Appreciate if someone can help me with this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hyennah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete not readable characters

Hi All, I wanted to delete all the unwanted characters in the string. ie, to delete all the characters which are not alpha numeric values. var1="a./bc" var2='abc/\."123' like to get the output as print var1 abc print var2 abc123 Could you guys help me out pls. Your help is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete new line characters from a file

Hi, I have a file with about 25 colums separated with '~', but few of the lines have extra tabs ('^') and new line characters ('$'). Is there a way I can delete those characters if they are anywhere before the 25th column in a line? example: CLUB000650;12345678;0087788667;NOOP MEMBER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim help - delete words in a file or characters after pattern

I have a file with words that begin with character #. Whenver that character is found that word should be deleted throughout the file. How do I do that in VIM. e.g: afkajfa ladfa ljafa #222222 kjafad ljl afajkj kjlj uouu #44444 jlkj lkjl Output should be afkajfa ladfa ljafa kjafad... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osbourneric
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete special characters from the file content

Hello Team, Any one suggest how to delte the below special character from a file which is having one column 10 rows of same below content. ---------------------------------------- Kosten|bersicht gemd_ ' =Welche Kosten kvnnen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to Delete first 10 characters of a file name

Hello Everyone, I need help in deleting first 10 characters from the filename in a directory eg: 1234567890samplefile1.txt 1234567890samplefile2.txt and so on.. need to get the output as samplefile1.txt Thanks in Advance!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivia
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies
GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)                                               User Commands                                              GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)

NAME
grub-render-label - generate a .disk_label for Apple Macs. SYNOPSIS
grub-render-label [OPTION...] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Render Apple .disk_label. -b, --bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for background -c, --color=COLOR use COLOR for text -f, --font=FILE use FILE as font (PF2). -i, --input=FILE read text from FILE. -o, --output=FILE set output filename. Default is STDOUT -t, --text=STRING set the label to render -v, --verbose print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-render-label is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-render-label programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-render-label should give you access to the complete manual. grub-render-label (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)