Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk replacement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk replacement Post 302357206 by ryandegreat25 on Tuesday 29th of September 2009 05:21:48 AM
Old 09-29-2009
one way..
Code:
-bash-3.2$ cat file
Total No of Students: 2
-bash-3.2$ cut -d" " -f5 file
-bash-3.2$

-bash-3.2$ cat file2
Sno ID Sub
------------------
1 120 ENG
2 2 ENG
3 10 MATH
-bash-3.2$ grep [[:digit:]] file2 | cut -d" " -f2
-bash-3.2$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk variable replacement

I have a function awkvarrep() { awk -F'|' '$1~/$1/{printf "%-10s %-30s %-15s %-30s %-15s\n", $2,$3,$4,$5,$6}' testfile } I'm calling it by this VARREP=XYZ awkvarrep $VARREP since i'm passing $VARREP to the awkvarrep() function I want to use this with $1 but it dosen't seem to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iAm4Free
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK String replacement

I have an xml file with following tags <NewTag>value123</xyz> <NewTag>value321</abcd> I have to replace the values in between the tags with some value ( VAL1/VAL2) but the thing the ending tag can be any thing, for this i need a awk command currently i am using this but it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl as awk replacement in a script.

Hey all, Im trying to write a script on windows, which Im not too familiar with. Im generally a bash scripting guy but am using perl for this case. My question is... I have this exact output: 2 Dir(s) 6,380,429,312 bytes free and I just need to get the number out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk pattern replacement

Hi I'm a newbie in unix and I'm having trouble in creating a script. I want to search for a pattern '_good' and insert new lines that contains '_bad', '_med', '_fail' while also ensure that the line contains _good is removed here some of the data UPDATE SCHOOL SET GRADE =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk replacement problem

hi i am using awk for first time so i am having issue is it the correct way of using Y here is variable which i fetch using grep from file awk -v X={$Y} { if ($0 ~ /X/ ) { sub (out.*/,"out1",$0) } print 0 }, filename > temp when i look into temp file i dont see any replacement... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzstar
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk replacement problem

Hello everyone, I have a problem with awk replacement... I need to replace "|\n" for "\n" I tried thisawk '{ sub(/\|\\n/, "\\n"); print }' but it seems like it doesn't work properly. Can anyone help with that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1tempus1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk's gsub variable in replacement

I been trying to figure out how to use element of array as a replacement pattern. This works as I expected: $ echo "one two three" | awk '{ gsub(/wo/,"_BEG_&_END_",$2); print }' one t_BEG_wo_END_ three $ echo "one two three" | awk '{ tmp="foo"; gsub(/wo/,"_BEG_" tmp "_END_",$2);... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirni
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incomplete replacement/substitution awk

Hi! (I'm just a newbie in awk & bash scripts) I have a script which replaces one column from an input file with a specified one from the same file. The input and the desired output files are shown below. ~ cat input.file random text Fe 1.33 23.23 3.33 C 21.03 23.23 3.33 Cu 0.00 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text replacement with awk or sed?

Hi guys, I worked for almost a half-day for the replacement of some text automatically with script. But no success. The problem is I have hundred of files, which need to be replaced with some new text. It's a painful work to work manually and it's so easy to do it wrong. For example, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed or awk Replacement/Addition

Hi, I have a big text file with similar data as below and need the text as in output using awk or sed. any help is greatly appreciated. Input: City=Chicago Elden street >>> reservedBy = business 1 >>> reservedBy = business 2 >>> reservedBy = business 3 City=Dallas Elm street >>>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
5 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux