Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Messed up my boot environment or root profile Post 302357174 by Garball on Tuesday 29th of September 2009 01:49:21 AM
Old 09-29-2009
Messed up my boot environment or root profile

Ok, a couple weeks ago I was fixing a cron report about perl not happy with 'locale' info (LANG and LC not set). As a result, I was experimenting with setting the correct 'locale' in several areas (like /etc/sysconfig/i18n and who knows where). Somehow after a reboot, as soon as the OS starts loading (first at populating /dev), I get the following error:
'Cannot execute binary file'.

At first I thought there was a problem with /sbin/start_udev however if I get into single user mode and then init to level 3, all scripts return the same error 'Cannot execute bianry file'. It is clear to me that I somehow messed up the root or boot environment so it doesn't know what to do with startup scripts. Can someone give me some point form instructions as to what I should systematically look at in order to fix this? I've spent two weeks reading forums/google and I'm at a loss.

Thanks a million for any/all help.
Gary.

OS: StrongBolt on Sun Cobalt Cube 3 Pro running Centos 4

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do u remove a messed up freebsd boot installation?

i messed up while installing freebsd into a dual os wannabe system. Now, how do i del it( so i wouldn't get prompted to choose freebsd during boot?)so that i could try installing a different flavour of linux? cheers:eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coffeecoolers
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Profile and environment variable

Hi, I'm using solaris 8 and I need to know where I can add the following variable to have it applied to all my user Ids. I tried to add this to /etc/profile but not working when i check with "env" command : export PW_MATRIX=/usr/local/ccms/security/dat/.PASSWORD_MATRIX export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
2 Replies

4. Solaris

.profile for root ?

Hi friends, On a Solaris system is the .profile executed for the user root also as it is for any normal user ? if i have to change the PATH variable can i add it to the .profile? and by default ther .profile is not found in the / directory. i can see it in /etc as /etc/profile. Should i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sveera
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is .profile and environment variable linked..

:( 1.) How is .profile and environment variable linked.? 2.) What happens when we execute a script.? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Where's the .profile environment config for root under Bourne shell?

I don't know where the environment config file for root user is in the Bourne shell on Solaris 10? Can you help me, or am I helpless???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joncamp
2 Replies

7. AIX

Environment variable values encrption in profile

Hello This is the format of present profile which we use for a AIX user export DMRUNuser ; DMRUNuser="owbrunuser_10" export DMRUNpasswd ; DMRUNpasswd="ods$12345" DMRUNuser&DMRUNpasswd were the environmental users which store the user id and password of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalpana.anuga
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

User profile, environment

Hello , i am on sles 11, and i can't figure out how can i locate my profile file, the one that is use for setting the environment when i log in. oracle@r200:~> cd oracle@r200:~> pwd /opt/oracle oracle@r200:~> echo $SHELL /bin/bash oracle@r200:~> oracle@r200:~> cat .profile cat: .profile:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
4 Replies

9. AIX

Profile environment variables lost after mksysb restore

Hello. I restore an mksysb image (AIX 5.3 TL 11) from one model to another model of Power (power 5 to power 7). Everything seems good, but I lost environment variables of at least one of a user profile. The result of the "env" command show me great differences between two servers, first of them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephnane
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue Regarding environment/.profile file

Hi All, I have my own .profile file and environment file. To execute some commands I always need to load some module using module command and change my environment files to project environment file (. /some/project/some/path/init.environ).Without changing my environment file to project file,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saps19
2 Replies
SULOGIN(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						SULOGIN(8)

NAME
sulogin - Single-user login SYNOPSIS
sulogin [ -e ] [ -p ] [ -t SECONDS ] [ TTY ] DESCRIPTION
sulogin is invoked by init(8) when the system goes into single user mode. (This is done through an entry in inittab(5).) Init also tries to execute sulogin when the boot loader (e.g., grub(8)) passes it the -b option. The user is prompted Give root password for system login (or type Control-D for normal startup): sulogin will be connected to the current terminal, or to the optional device that can be specified on the command line (typically /dev/con- sole). If the -t option is used then the program only waits the given number of seconds for user input. If the -p option is used then the single-user shell is invoked with a dash as the first character in argv[0]. This causes the shell process to behave as a login shell. The default is not to do this, so that the shell will not read /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile at startup. After the user exits the single-user shell, or presses control-D at the prompt, the system will (continue to) boot to the default runlevel. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
sulogin looks for the environment variable SUSHELL or sushell to determine what shell to start. If the environment variable is not set, it will try to execute root's shell from /etc/passwd. If that fails it will fall back to /bin/sh. This is very valuable together with the -b option to init. To boot the system into single user mode, with the root file system mounted read/write, using a special "fail safe" shell that is statically linked (this example is valid for the LILO bootprompt) boot: linux -b rw sushell=/sbin/sash FALLBACK METHODS
sulogin checks the root password using the standard method (getpwnam) first. Then, if the -e option was specified, sulogin examines these files directly to find the root password: /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow (if present) If they are damaged or nonexistent, sulogin will start a root shell without asking for a password. Only use the -e option if you are sure the console is physically protected against unauthorized access. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). 17 Jan 2006 SULOGIN(8)