Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting XML file parsing using script Post 302357103 by zmfcat1 on Monday 28th of September 2009 05:29:00 PM
Old 09-28-2009
XML file parsing using script

Hi
I need some help with XML file parsing. I have an XML file with the below tag,
I need a script to identify the value of srvcName which is this case is "AAA srvc name". I need to put contents of this value which is AAA srvc and name into different variables using an array and then reformat it and put it into a different variable, in this case lets say RESULT. RESULT should look like "AAA\ srvc\ name"

Code:
<platform type="windows" startMenuName="AAA" startMenu="BBB.ico"  addRemoveName="AAA" addRemoveIcon="BBB.ico"
srvcName="AAA srvc name"
 />

What I am trying to do is to retrieve values from a source XML file and write the contents of the value into a target XML file using a shell script. In the target XML file I want to replace lets say a value XXX with "AAA srvc name". Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing and getting data from XML file using ksh script

Hi All, I have a xml file for example as described below <xml> <address> <street><street> <address/> <isbn>426728783932020308393930303</isbn> <book> <name> </name> </book> . . . </xml> My problem is to get the isbn number from the above described file using ksh script. Could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinna
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML using Shell Script

Hello, I'm a starting shell scripter and no Perl knowledge. I've trying to do this for a while: I want to parse an XML file and get certain data out of it and write that data into a CSV file, all this using Shell Scripting (in Bash). Or Perl without any XML Parser/Interpreter (if possible). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kage Musha
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help parsing a XML file ....

Well I have read several threads on the subject ... but being a newbie like me makes it hard to understand ... What I need is the following: Input data: ------- snip --------- <FavouriteLocations> <FavouriteLocations class="FavouriteList"><Item... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: misak
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing xml file

hi guys, great help to the original question, can i expand please? i have large files filled with blocks like this <Placemark> network type: hot line1 line2 line3 <styleUrl>red.png</styleUrl> </Placemark> <Placemark> network type: cold line1 line2 line3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garvald
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing in a shell script.

Below is a XML I have... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <component xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:XXXXX-www-Install-Manifest manifest.xsd" xmlns="urn:qqqqq-Install-Manifest" name="OM" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing using shell script

I have a xml file like this <bul:collectionStrategy name="strategy1"> <bul:collectionTemplateGroup name="15min group"/> <bul:collectionTemplateGroup name="hourly group"/> </bul:collectionStrategy> <bul:CollectionTemplateGroup name="hourly group" > ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LavanyaP
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML using shell script

Well, issue is i have to parse this script to get the VERSION: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>CFBundleAllowMixedLocalizations</key> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorosinister
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML: parsing of the Google contacts XML file

I am trying to parse the XML Google contact file using tools like xmllint and I even dived into the XSL Style Sheets using xsltproc but I get nowhere. I can not supply any sample file as it contains private data but you can download your own contacts using this script: #!/bin/sh # imports... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing XML file

I want to parse xml file sample file....... <name locale="en">my_name<>/name><lastChanged>somedate</lastChanged><some more code here> <name locale="en">tablename1<>/name><lastChanged>somedate</lastChanged> <definition><dbquery><sources><sql type="cognos">select * from... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ms2001
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing xml file

Hi, Need help with parsing xml data in unix and place it in a csv file. My xml file looks like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?> <iwgroups> <nextid value="128"> </nextid> <iwgroup name="RXapproval" id="124" display-name="RXapproval"... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
11 Replies
XML::LibXML::SAX(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       XML::LibXML::SAX(3)

NAME
XML::LibXML::SAX - XML::LibXML direct SAX parser DESCRIPTION
XML::LibXML provides an interface to libxml2 direct SAX interface. Through this interface it is possible to generate SAX events directly while parsing a document. While using the SAX parser XML::LibXML will not create a DOM Document tree. Such an interface is useful if very large XML documents have to be processed and no DOM functions are required. By using this interface it is possible to read data stored within a XML document directly into the application data structures without loading the document into memory. The SAX interface of XML::LibXML is based on the famous XML::SAX interface. It uses the generic interface as provided by XML::SAX::Base. Additionally to the generic functions, which are only able to process entire documents, XML::LibXML::SAX provides parse_chunk(). This method generates SAX events from well balanced data such as is often provided by databases. NOTE: At the moment XML::LibXML provides only an incomplete interface to libxml2's native SAX implementation. The current implementation is not tested in production environment. It may causes significant memory problems or shows wrong behaviour. If you run into specific problems using this part of XML::LibXML, let me know. AUTHORS
Matt Sergeant, Christian Glahn, Petr Pajas VERSION
1.70 COPYRIGHT
2001-2007, AxKit.com Ltd. 2002-2006, Christian Glahn. 2006-2009, Petr Pajas. perl v5.12.1 2009-10-07 XML::LibXML::SAX(3)