Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read random line from a text file Post 302356997 by methyl on Monday 28th of September 2009 11:21:26 AM
Old 09-28-2009
Interesting post about RANDSEED. Not seen that before.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read and write a random row from a file?

Lets say I have a file abc.txt and it has about 35 million rows. I would like to take a sample of 100 random rows from that file for my testing purpose and write it to a file say test.txt. How do I do this operation? Thanks, Sashank (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sashankkrk
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from text file misses first line

Hi! I need to read in the first line from a text file (which will only ever have one line in it), so I tried this.... while read line do echo $line done < $file But this wasn't returning anything. So I tired a different file, which had multiple lines of text in it, and it returned... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script does not read the last line of text file

Hello, I have got a script that reads a text file, and have got three problems that I an struggling with. 1. The script does not read the last line in the text file 2. within the second 'elif' within the script I included a 'break' - the script runs successfully (except for the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text file line by line

Hi everyone, I am writing a BASH shell script that I will use to process data files. I have a text file that contains the names of the files to be processed, for example: cat filenames.txt file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 What I would like to do is set up a FOR loop within my script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a text file line by line & process it...

Hi , I am trying to write an shell, which reads a text file (from a location) having a list of numbers of strictly 5 digits only ex: 33144 Now my script will check : 1) that each entry is only 5 digits & numeric only, no alphabets, & its not empty. 2)then it executes a shell script called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_to_shell
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how read specific line in a file and write it in a new text file?

I have list of files in a directory 'dir'. Each file is of type HTML. I need to read each file and get the string which starts with 'http' and write them in a new text file. How can i do this shell scripting? file1.html <head> <url>http://www.google.com</url> </head> file2.html <head>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the first work of each line from text file?

Hi ppl. I want to read the first word of each line of a text file to a variable in a bash script. Can anyone help pls, thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cannot
6 Replies

8. Programming

Read text from file and print each character in separate line

performing this code to read from file and print each character in separate line works well with ASCII encoded text void preprocess_file (FILE *fp) { int cc; for (;;) { cc = getc (fp); if (cc == EOF) break; printf ("%c\n", cc); } } int main(int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khaled79
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script UNIX to read text file line by line

i have a text file as belows, it includes 2 columns, 1st is the column name, 2nd is the file_name data_file.txt column_name file_name col1 file1 col2 file2 col3 file1 col4 file1 col5 file2 now, i would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tester111
4 Replies
RANDOM(4)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 RANDOM(4)

NAME
random, urandom - kernel random number source devices DESCRIPTION
The character special files /dev/random and /dev/urandom (present since Linux 1.3.30) provide an interface to the kernel's random number generator. File /dev/random has major device number 1 and minor device number 8. File /dev/urandom has major device number 1 and minor device number 9. The random number generator gathers environmental noise from device drivers and other sources into an entropy pool. The generator also keeps an estimate of the number of bit of the noise in the entropy pool. From this entropy pool random numbers are created. When read, the /dev/random device will only return random bytes within the estimated number of bits of noise in the entropy pool. /dev/random should be suitable for uses that need very high quality randomness such as one-time pad or key generation. When the entropy pool is empty, reads to /dev/random will block until additional environmental noise is gathered. When read, /dev/urandom device will return as many bytes as are requested. As a result, if there is not sufficient entropy in the entropy pool, the returned values are theoretically vulnerable to a cryptographic attack on the algorithms used by the driver. Knowledge of how to do this is not available in the current non-classified literature, but it is theoretically possible that such an attack may exist. If this is a concern in your application, use /dev/random instead. CONFIGURING
If your system does not have /dev/random and /dev/urandom created already, they can be created with the following commands: mknod -m 644 /dev/random c 1 8 mknod -m 644 /dev/urandom c 1 9 chown root:root /dev/random /dev/urandom When a Linux system starts up without much operator interaction, the entropy pool may be in a fairly predictable state. This reduces the actual amount of noise in the entropy pool below the estimate. In order to counteract this effect, it helps to carry entropy pool informa- tion across shut-downs and start-ups. To do this, add the following lines to an appropriate script which is run during the Linux system start-up sequence: echo "Initializing kernel random number generator..." # Initialize kernel random number generator with random seed # from last shut-down (or start-up) to this start-up. Load and # then save 512 bytes, which is the size of the entropy pool. if [ -f /var/random-seed ]; then cat /var/random-seed >/dev/urandom fi dd if=/dev/urandom of=/var/random-seed count=1 Also, add the following lines in an appropriate script which is run during the Linux system shutdown: # Carry a random seed from shut-down to start-up for the random # number generator. Save 512 bytes, which is the size of the # random number generator's entropy pool. echo "Saving random seed..." dd if=/dev/urandom of=/var/random-seed count=1 FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom AUTHOR
The kernel's random number generator was written by Theodore Ts'o (tytso@athena.mit.edu). SEE ALSO
mknod (1) RFC 1750, "Randomness Recommendations for Security" Linux 1997-08-01 RANDOM(4)