Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting want to add the size of the selected list of file Post 302356935 by mail2sant on Monday 28th of September 2009 08:41:04 AM
Old 09-28-2009
want to add the size of the selected list of file

i have a files in the dir as below.

ls -lR ./.snapshot

5649600512 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080707
6006923264 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080708
5321129984 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080709
6686597120 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080710
7312855040 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080711
6115131392 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080714
7423959040 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080715
5940617216 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080716
6156181504 ./.snapshot/backup/data
4912037888 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080718
4528926720 ./.snapshot/backup/data20080721

i want to add the first column ( unsing awk or anything )and want to see the total number of bytes for that

ls -lR ./.snapshot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

list file within selected of day

Hi, i want to list some files in the directory within selected period. for example, I want to list file within 5 days, 3 days, etc....is it possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: happyv
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List File size

Hello all, I have a directory filling up. I need to determine the size of the files in the directory. How do I do that, what command should I run when I am in the directory? Next question, can I expand the partition size? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
10 Replies

3. HP-UX

command to list file size

I'm new to HP-UX and am looking for the command that will allow to me determine the total size of listed files. I'm being told that my backup selection is exceeding my tape drive size and need to determine how much information is being backed up. Help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgordon
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Total file size of a subset list

Hello! I'm trying to find out the total file size of a subset list in a directory. For example, I do not need to know the total file size of all the files in a directory, but I need to know what the total size is of say, "ls -l *FEB08*" in a directory. Is there any easy way of doing this? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekster757
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list a file size, but not its name?

If I have a file x.txt that is 8 bytes... I want to enter >> x.txt 8 I've played around with ls, and du... and they always list the file name. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ordano
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort by size, then list file in each directory

Hi, I have directories with name like: aaa bbb ccc ... I would like to to see which directories are the largest and then list the files within each. I have success using: du -ks * | sort -rin | head -n 20 which gives me an output like: 120 bbb 27 ccc 3 aaa ... I would like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChatPerdu
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining file size for a list of files with paths

Hello, I have a flat file with a list of files with the path to the file and I am attempting to calculate the filesize for each one; however xargs isn't playing nicely and I am sure there is probably a better way of doing this. What I envisioned is this: cat filename|xargs -i ls -l {} |awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe8mofo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to get the list of file with size in AUX

to get the list of file name with size Example: rwxrwxrwx 1 cm x 562KB Nov 6 19:22 a rwxrwxrwx 1 cm x 562MB Nov 6 19:22 a edit by bakunin: Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

List of file name with size

how to get the file name list with size descriptive in hp-ux Required output: permission link user group size(with MB,KB,GB etc) date time name (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
7 Replies

10. HP-UX

How to list file size on HPUX?

I used to use ls -l cut to detrmine file size, and google searches didn't come up with anything else but 'stat' which doesn't appear on HPUX. I discovered the humble 'wc -c' which does this job very neatly, and thought I would share it. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbochan
7 Replies
backintime(1)							   USER COMMANDS						     backintime(1)

NAME
backintime - a simple backup tool for Linux. This is command line tool. The graphical tools are: backintime-gnome and backintime-kde4. SYNOPSIS
backintime [ --backup | --backup-job | --snapshots-path | --snapshots-list | --snapshots-list-path | --last-snapshot | --last-snapshot-path | --help | --version | --license ] DESCRIPTION
Back In Time is a simple backup tool for Linux. The backup is done by taking snapshots of a specified set of folders. All you have to do is configure: where to save snapshots, what folders to backup. You can also specify a backup schedule: disabled, every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes, every hour, every day, every week, every month. To configure it use one of the graphical interfaces available (backintime-gnome or backintime-kde4). It acts as a 'user mode' backup tool. This means that you can backup/restore only folders you have write access to (actually you can backup read-only folders, but you can't restore them). If you want to run it as root you need to use 'su'. A new snapshot is created only if something changed since the last snapshot (if any). A snapshot contains all the files from the selected folders (except for exclude patterns). In order to reduce disk space it use hard-links (if possible) between snapshots for unchanged files. This way a file of 10Mb, unchanged for 10 snapshots, will use only 10Mb on the disk. When you restore a file 'A', if it already exists on the file system it will be renamed to 'A.backup.currentdate'. For automatic backup it use 'cron' so there is no need for a daemon, but 'cron' must be running. user-callback During backup process the application can call a user callback at different steps. This callback is "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/backintime/user- callback" (by default $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is ~/.config). The first argument is the progile id (1=Main Profile, ...). The second argument is the progile name. The third argument is the reason: 1 Backup process begins. 2 Backup process ends. 3 A new snapshot was taken. The extra arguments are snapshot ID and snapshot path. 4 There was an error. The second argument is the error code. Error codes: 1 The application is not configured. 2 A "take snapshot" process is already running. 3 Can't find snapshots folder (is it on a removable drive ?). 4 A snapshot for "now" already exist. OPTIONS
-b, --backup take a snapshot now (if needed) --backup-job take a snapshot (if needed) depending on schedule rules (used for cron jobs) --snapshots-path display path where is saves the snapshots (if configured) --snapshots-list display the list of snapshot IDs (if any) --snapshots-list-path display the paths to snapshots (if any) --last-snapshot display last snapshot ID (if any) --last-snapshot-path display the path to the last snapshot (if any) -h, --help display a short help -v, --version show version --license show license SEE ALSO
backintime-gnome, backintime-kde4. Back In Time also has a website: http://backintime.le-web.org AUTHOR
This manual page was written by BIT Team (<bit-team@lists.launchpad.net>). version 1.0.10 Mars 2009 backintime(1)