Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to search backwards in a log file by timestamp of entries? Post 302356691 by varontron on Sunday 27th of September 2009 12:23:49 AM
Old 09-27-2009
use File::ReadBackwards

see how-to: reading a file backwards | Perl HowTo

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use File::ReadBackwards;

$fh = File::ReadBackwards->new('access.log') or die "can't read file: $!\n";

while ( defined($line = $fh->readline) )
{
  if ($line =~ /regex to capture time/)
  {
      #get max time on first iteration
      #check time against max time
      #if within range, add to array
      #otherwise, exit the loop
  }
}
foreach my $line (reverse @lines)
{
   #process each line as needed
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Spooling a log file with timestamp

Hi From shell script i am invoking sqlplus to connect to oracle database and then i spool a csv file as with output. What i want to do is to change the file name with timestamp on it so after spooling finish shell script change file name with time stamp. can someone help me to do that . Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukadmin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy lines from a log file based on timestamp

how to copy lines from a log file based on timestamp. INFO (RbrProcessFlifoEventSessionEJB.java:processFlight:274) - E_20080521_110754_967: rbrAciInfoObjects listing complete! INFO (RbrPnrProcessEventSessionEJB.java:processFlight:197) - Event Seq: 1647575217; Carrier: UA; Flt#: 0106; Origin:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranjiadmin
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search backwards

Hi, I have a variable , lets say a=/disk1/net/first.ksh i need to grep "first.ksh" everytime "a" gets changed dynamically and i do not know how many '"/" are there in my variable. Can somebody help me out. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search backwards relative to a string

Hi, I have to search for first occurenceof string str1 in a file(>5GB). Now, after I have that , I have to search backwards from that offset till I get another string str2. I should also be able to get the new string str2's offset. Similarly, I look for last occurence of str1 and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finder255
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate log file lines up to timestamp

Hi, Using sed awk or perl I am trying to do something similar to https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/105887-sed-awk-concatenate-lines-until-blank-line-2.html but my requirement is slightly different. What I am trying to accomplish is to reformat a logfile such that all lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlanC
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for string and replace backwards

I'm new to Unix scripting and I'm not sure if this can be done. Example: search (grep) in a file for 'Control ID' and then replace with 4 blanks 7 bytes before 'Control ID. input "xxxxxx1234xxxxxxxControl IDxxxxxx" output: "xxxxxx xxxxxxxControl IDxxxxxx" thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbt828
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log file entries based on the Date/Timestamp within log file

If a log file is in the following format 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 29-Jul-10 ::: Log message 30-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 :::... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
3 Replies

8. Programming

How to search a file based on a time stamp backwards 10 seconds

Hi all, I'm after some help with this small issue which i'm struggling to work out a fix for. I have a file that contains records that all have a time stamp for each individual record, i need to search the file for a specific time stamp and then search back 10 seconds to see if the number... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp3arsy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search backwards to certain string

Hi, I'm using the following to do a backwards search of a file for a string sed s/^M//g FILE | nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=10 a=0 s="9005"|grep "policy "|sort -u |awk '{print $4}'|cut -c2-10 My issue is that because I'm looking back 10 lines it's... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SaltyDog
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for latest Timestamp in file

Hi, I have a file which generate Timestamp in this format :- 20121012162354 20121114191610 20121210232808 20121216220002 20130106220002 20130127220001 20130203220001 20121012162354 20121114191610 20121210232808 20121216220002 20130106220002 20130127220001 20130203220001 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies
Template::Plugin::URL(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Template::Plugin::URL(3)

NAME
Template::Plugin::URL - Plugin to construct complex URLs SYNOPSIS
[% USE url('/cgi-bin/foo.pl') %] [% url(debug = 1, id = 123) %] # ==> /cgi/bin/foo.pl?debug=1&id=123 [% USE mycgi = url('/cgi-bin/bar.pl', mode='browse', debug=1) %] [% mycgi %] # ==> /cgi/bin/bar.pl?mode=browse&debug=1 [% mycgi(mode='submit') %] # ==> /cgi/bin/bar.pl?mode=submit&debug=1 [% mycgi(debug='d2 p0', id='D4-2k[4]') %] # ==> /cgi-bin/bar.pl?mode=browse&debug=d2%20p0&id=D4-2k%5B4%5D DESCRIPTION
The "URL" plugin can be used to construct complex URLs from a base stem and a hash array of additional query parameters. The constructor should be passed a base URL and optionally, a hash array reference of default parameters and values. Used from with a template, it would look something like the following: [% USE url('http://www.somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo.pl') %] [% USE url('/cgi-bin/bar.pl', mode='browse') %] [% USE url('/cgi-bin/baz.pl', mode='browse', debug=1) %] When the plugin is then called without any arguments, the default base and parameters are returned as a formatted query string. [% url %] For the above three examples, these will produce the following outputs: http://www.somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo.pl /cgi-bin/bar.pl?mode=browse /cgi-bin/baz.pl?mode=browse&debug=1 Note that additional parameters are separated by '"&"' rather than simply '"&"'. This is the correct behaviour for HTML pages but is, unfortunately, incorrect when creating URLs that do not need to be encoded safely for HTML. This is likely to be corrected in a future version of the plugin (most probably with TT3). In the mean time, you can set $Template::Plugin::URL::JOINT to "&" to get the correct behaviour. Additional parameters may be also be specified to the URL: [% url(mode='submit', id='wiz') %] Which, for the same three examples, produces: http://www.somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo.pl?mode=submit&id=wiz /cgi-bin/bar.pl?mode=browse&id=wiz /cgi-bin/baz.pl?mode=browse&debug=1&id=wiz A new base URL may also be specified as the first option: [% url('/cgi-bin/waz.pl', test=1) %] producing /cgi-bin/waz.pl?test=1 /cgi-bin/waz.pl?mode=browse&test=1 /cgi-bin/waz.pl?mode=browse&debug=1&test=1 The ordering of the parameters is non-deterministic due to fact that Perl's hashes themselves are unordered. This isn't a problem as the ordering of CGI parameters is insignificant (to the best of my knowledge). All values will be properly escaped thanks to some code borrowed from Lincoln Stein's "CGI" module. e.g. [% USE url('/cgi-bin/woz.pl') %] [% url(name="Elrich von Benjy d'Weiro") %] Here the spaces and ""'"" character are escaped in the output: /cgi-bin/woz.pl?name=Elrich%20von%20Benjy%20d%27Weiro An alternate name may be provided for the plugin at construction time as per regular Template Toolkit syntax. [% USE mycgi = url('cgi-bin/min.pl') %] [% mycgi(debug=1) %] AUTHOR
Andy Wardley <abw@wardley.org> <http://wardley.org/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin perl v5.12.1 2008-11-13 Template::Plugin::URL(3)