Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Complete Newbie requiring help Post 302356678 by snoops on Saturday 26th of September 2009 06:23:34 PM
Old 09-26-2009
Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it.

Also have made a note of the command you have given for future reference. Smilie

Unfortunately the sections do not have a unique entry. However each section begins with a [

In Pseudo code what I want to do is:

For argument1 to argumentn do
read argument
Search file for argument
go back to the first [ on the line
extract everything until you reach the next [
save to file argument1.txt

I think once I have this then everything else I need to do I will be able to add to the script.

Thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Complete Newbie Question

I am in a test environment where i need to test several versions of UNIX, such as linux, solaris, SCO (ODT and Unixware). What i would like to know is there a universal way to work with the contents of a floppy diskette? I know some give you dos-like commands, but am looking for a way to access and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dpinion
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete newbie

ok so i am trying redhat linux and i create a partiton and install it no worries then i start and i cant access any of my other drives i can mount cd roms and floppies so i am logged in as root what i want to do is mount the following drives drive 1 ide partition 2 drive 2 to 5 seen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidjk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A complete Unix Newbie

I would like to know if I should install unix over a windows 98. I want to use a home computer to host websites right now, but I know how much Windows likes resources ;) So, my question is... Should I get a Unix OS? If no, then do not read more and just reply :) If yes, then, which one? How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afinita
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Qmail requiring SMTP auth

Has anyone gotten netqmail patched with qmail-smtp-auth to not just allow, but require ESMTP authentication? I'm in the processes of setting up a port 587 (submission) server for my remote users to be able to send mail through while they're on the road, but I don't want it to usable without... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH complete-filename & menu-complete together

Hi, Does anyone know how to make BASH provide a list of possible completions on the first tab, and then start cycling through the possibilites on the next tab? Right now this is what I have in my .bashrc: bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" bind \\C-o:menu-complete This allows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mithu
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Any Way to Get User Input Without Requiring Them to Hit the Enter Key?

I'm working on making a menu system on an HP-UX box with Bash on it. The old menu system presents the users with a standard text menu with numbers to make selections. I'm re-working the system and I would like to provide something more akin to iterative search in Emacs. I have a list of 28... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
2 Replies

7. Hardware

Wireless works, then dies requiring a reboot

Hello, I am having a problem with my wireless. Seems to be a relatively new problem over the past few weeks. I have an intel wireless. It seems like it can be fine for days, then in will quite working to the point a reboot is necessary. It may happen once and be fine, or may happen several times... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Complete Newbie looking for advice

Hi everyone! I've been browsing the forum for a couple of days, and thought it was about time to chime in. I'm having a pre-mid-life mid-life crisis (I think), and am seriously debating a career shift. I currently use a bash shell in my day to day work (very basic file management, FTP, backups,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bravestarr
8 Replies

9. Programming

Unable to use libcurl to access a site requiring client authentication

I’m using the below snipped for setting the certificate and key for client authentication. curl_easy_setopt(curl,CURLOPT_SSLCERT,"clientCert.pem"); curl_easy_setopt(curl,CURLOPT_SSLCERTPASSWD,"changeit"); curl_easy_setopt(curl,CURLOPT_SSLCERTTYPE,"PEM"); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_as_a_fossil
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a script requiring a pause for user input

Hi I'm trying to create a basic script that pauses for user input to verify a file name before generating the output. I have numerous SSL certificate files which I am trying to determine the expiry date so what I'm trying to do is write a script so that is pauses to request the name of the .pem... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddyluv
9 Replies