Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to redirect multiple input files? Post 302356627 by microstarwwx on Saturday 26th of September 2009 12:48:41 PM
Old 09-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by varontron
not exactly sure what your requirement is, but it sounds like:

redirect standard in from 2 files _at the same time_ to a single process

that is done like this:
Code:
cat f1 f2|process

or this
Code:
process<cat f1 f2

'cat' concatenates the files, so this is nearly equivalent to the following:

Code:
process < f1
process < f2

Thanks for your reply. But it still does not work. It says "cat: No such file or directory".
My program command can run like this: "./a.out file1.txt - file2.txt -", when the parameter is a file name, it will read file content, otherwise, when the parameter is a hyphen, it will read from stdin(just like "cat file1 - file2 -"). I need write a test script to run this program, however, I don't know how to redirect two file for stdin. Anybody can help me? Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to multiple files.

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and have a question. I would like to redirect the output of a command to multiple files, each file holding the exact same copy. From what I read from the bash manpage and from some searching it seems it cannot be done within the shell except setting up a loop. Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbkihong
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can you redirect multiple files for input?

I have a program that is reading strings into a vector from a file. Currently I am using this command: a.out < file1 The program runs and prints the contents of the vector to the screen, like its supposed to. The problem is that it needs to read in 3 files to fill the vector. Is there anyway... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matrix_Prime
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output to multiple files without putting on console

How to redirect the output to multiple files without putting on console I tried tee but it writes to STDOUT , which I do not want. Test.sh ------------------ #!/bin/ksh echo "Hello " tee -a file1 file2 ---------------------------- $>./Test.sh $> Expected output: -------------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pull out multiple files from DB table and redirect all those files to a differetn directory?

Hi everyone!! I have a database table, which has file_name as one of its fields. Example: File_ID File_Name Directory Size 0001 UNO_1232 /apps/opt 234 0002 UNO_1234 /apps/opt 788 0003 UNO_1235 /apps/opt 897 0004 UNO_1236 /apps/opt 568 I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string from multiple dir and redirect to new files

Hi, I am new to script and I want find one string from multiple files in diff directories and put that out put to new file. Like I have A,B & C directories and each has multiple files but one file is unic in all the directories like COMM.txt Now I want write script to find the string... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahessh123
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving 'ambiguous redirect' when trying to run command against multiple files

I came across the command string on https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/141885-awk-removing-data-before-after-pattern.html which was what I was looking for to be able to remove data before a certain pattern. However, outputting the result to a file seems to work on an individual basis... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, multiple files input and multiple files output

Hi! I'm new in awk and I need some help. I have a folder with a lot of files and I need that awk do something in each file and print a new file with the output. The input file name should be modified when I print the outpu files. Thanks in advance for help! :-) ciao (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Multiple input files and output files

Hi, I have many test*.ft1 files to which I want to read as input for a script called pipe2txt.tcl and print the output in each separate file. For example, pipe2txt.tcl < test001.ft1 > test001.txt How can I read many files in this maner? thank you very much, Best, Pahuja (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahuja
5 Replies
tclsh(1)							 Tcl Applications							  tclsh(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
tclsh - Simple shell containing Tcl interpreter SYNOPSIS
tclsh ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tclsh is a shell-like application that reads Tcl commands from its standard input or from a file and evaluates them. If invoked with no arguments then it runs interactively, reading Tcl commands from standard input and printing command results and error messages to standard output. It runs until the exit command is invoked or until it reaches end-of-file on its standard input. If there exists a file .tclshrc (or tclshrc.tcl on the Windows platforms) in the home directory of the user, tclsh evaluates the file as a Tcl script just before reading the first command from standard input. SCRIPT FILES
If tclsh is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input tclsh will read Tcl commands from the named file; tclsh will exit when it reaches the end of the file. There is no automatic evaluation of .tclshrc in this case, but the script file can always source it if desired. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/tclsh then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that tclsh has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the tclsh executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using tclsh exec tclsh "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the tclsh binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if tclsh is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the tclsh script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and tclsh to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up tclsh to reprocess the entire script. When tclsh starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. You should note that it is also common practise to install tclsh with its version number as part of the name. This has the advantage of | allowing multiple versions of Tcl to exist on the same system at once, but also the disadvantage of making it harder to write scripts that | start up uniformly across different versions of Tcl. VARIABLES
Tclsh sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which tclsh was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if tclsh is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When tclsh is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt tclsh will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. KEYWORDS
argument, interpreter, prompt, script file, shell Tcl tclsh(1)