Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: can we optimize this command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting can we optimize this command Post 302356603 by danmero on Saturday 26th of September 2009 10:32:31 AM
Old 09-26-2009
Code:
awk 'NR>2{gsub("AAAA","");print}' ORS="" file > newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compress/optimize html

Anyone know of a script to compress HTML? (remove whitespace, etc.) I'm basically looking for something like Absolute HTML Compressor (http://www.alentum.com/ahc/) that could be run from a Linux command line. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smap
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

optimize the script

Hi, I have this following script below. Its searching a log file for 2 string and if found then write the strings to success.txt and If not found write strings to failed.txt . if one found and not other...then write found to success.txt and not found to failed.txt. I want to optimize this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can we optimize this simple script ?

Hi All , I am just a new bie in Unix/Linux . With help of tips from 'here and there' , I just created a simple script to 1. declare one array and some global variables 2. read the schema names from user (user input) and want2proceed flag 3. if user want to proceed , keep reading user... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajavu
8 Replies

4. AIX

How to optimize our tape backups ?

Hi, I am currently looking at how we can optimize and speed up our backups here. I am just a beginner operator and our system admin hardly knows anything (long term interim). There is this particular TAR backup of DB backups that for a 10.5Gb amount of files, it takes 5 hours to do the backup on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pl help me to Optimize the given code

Pl help to me to write the below code in a simple way ... i suupose to use this code 3 to 4 places in my makefile(gnu) .. **************************************** @for i in $(LIST_A); do \ for j in $(LIST_B); do\ if ;then\ echo "Need to sign"\ echo "List A = $$i , List B =$$j"\ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pk_arun
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize the nested IF

Hi, I have to assign a value for a varaiable based on a Input. I have written the below code: if then nf=65 elif then nf=46 elif then nf=164 elif then nf=545 elif then nf=56 elif then (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize awk command

WARNING=${1} CRITICAL=${2} echo ${OUTPUT} | gawk -F'' ' { V = $2 R = $0 } END { for ( i = 1; i <= n; i++) { if((V > 0) && (V < V)) print R, ((V - V) / V) * 100 else if ((V > V) && (V > 0)) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize my mv script

Hello, I'm wondering if there is a quicker way of doing this. Here is my mv script. d=/conversion/program/out cd $d ls $d > /home/tempuser/$$tmp while read line ; do a=`echo $line|cut -c1-5|sed "s/_//g"` b=`echo $line|cut -c16-21` if ;then mkdir... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking to optimize code

Hi guys, I feel a bit comfortable now doing bash scripting but I am worried that the way I do it is not optimized and I can do much better as to how I code. e.g. I have a whole line in a file from which I want to extract some values. Right now what I am doing is : STATE=`cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Optimize the Script Further

Hi All, I have written a new script to check for DB space and size of dump log file before it can be imported into a Oracle DB. I'm relatively new to shell scripting. Please help me optimize this script further. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
0 Replies
diction(1)						      General Commands Manual							diction(1)

NAME
diction, explain, suggest - Prints wordy sentences and looks them up in an interactive thesaurus. SYNOPSIS
diction [-fpattern_file] [-k] [-ma] [-me] [-ml] [-ms] [-n] [file...] explain suggest The diction command finds all sentences in an English language document that contain phrases from a database of bad or wordy diction. The explain command is an interactive thesaurus for the English language phrases found by the diction command and only for those phrases. The diction command reads from standard in if no file operand is provided. The suggest command is a synonym for explain. OPTIONS
Names a user-created pattern file to be used in addition to the default file. Passes the -k option to the deroff command. The -k option keeps blocks of text specified nroff by requests or macros; for example, the request. Passes the -ma option to deroff. The -ma option interprets nroff man macros only. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Causes deroff to skip lists; should be used if a docu- ment contains many lists of nonsentences. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Suppresses use of the default file (used with -f). Only the user-created pattern file is used. DESCRIPTION
Each phrase found by the diction command is enclosed in [ ] (brackets). Because diction runs deroff before looking at the text, include formatting header files as part of the input. Before using the explain command, use the diction command to obtain a list of poorly worded phrases. When you use the explain command, the system prompts you for a phrase and responds with a grammatically acceptable alternative. You can continue typing phrases, or you can exit by pressing the End-of-File key sequence. The explain command can also take input redirected from a file. No other command line arguments are valid. NOTES
Use of nonstandard formatting macros may cause incorrect sentence breaks. In particular, diction does not understand -me. FILES
Default pattern file. Thesaurus used by the explain command. SEE ALSO
Commands: deroff(1), nroff(1) diction(1)