Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep) Post 302356497 by Corona688 on Friday 25th of September 2009 05:43:47 PM
Old 09-25-2009
That seems an awkward thing to do in shell. It'd also make it difficult to run two instances of sleep. I'd write it in C:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <limits.h>

void catch(int c)        {       }

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        unsigned long start=time(NULL), len;

if(argc != 2)
        {
                fprintf(stderr, "usage: %s 60\n", argv[0]);
                return(1);
        }

len=atol(argv[1]);

if((len == LONG_MIN) || (len == LONG_MAX) || (len < 0))
        {
                fprintf(stderr, "Bad input value, must be positive integer\n");
                return(1);
        }

signal(SIGINT, catch);

while( (time(NULL) < (start+len)))
        if(sleep((start+len) - time(NULL)))
        {
                int off=INT_MAX;
                signal(SIGINT, SIG_DFL);
                while(off == INT_MAX)
                {
                        printf("\r%d seconds remain, offset:",
                                (start+len)-time(NULL));

if(scanf("%d", &off) != 1)
                        {
                                fflush(stdin);
                                off=-1;
                        }
                }

printf("%d%+d seconds, %d remain\n", len, off,
                        (start+len+off)-time(NULL));
                len += off;

signal(SIGINT, catch);
        }

return(0);
}

Run it and hit ctrl-C, and it will show a prompt telling you how much is left then ask for an offset in seconds. A positive number of seconds will add time, a negative number will subtract time. It calculates all this time relative to the program start, so a 'resleep 90', ctrl-c, then adding 25 will have it end precisely 115 seconds after it started even though some seconds may have been spent waiting for you to type. If you hit ctrl-C again instead of entering an offset, it just quits.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-25-2009 at 06:49 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep

what is the purpose of the sleep command? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep under one second

If I want a script to sleep for less than a second, would I use a decimal? In other words, if I wanted my script to sleep for 1/4 of a second, would I say, SLEEP .25 ?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoogie
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sleep less than 1 second

Does anyone know a way to sleep less than 1 second? Sometimes when I write scripts that iterates a loop many times it would be nice to slow things down, but sometimes 1 second is too much. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjorno
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sleep function

Hey everyone, just entering the linux world, I need some help with a shell script i'm trying to write, the purpose is to check every 10 minutes what was the last time a certain file was modified, and if there is a connection to the server at this moment send an email with the date of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshe88
2 Replies

5. Programming

C Sleep function hangs @ __kernel_vsyscall ()

This is the gdb backtrace. ^C Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt. 0xffffe424 in __kernel_vsyscall () (gdb) bt #0 0xffffe424 in __kernel_vsyscall () #1 0xb7e56a70 in __nanosleep_nocancel () from /lib/libc.so.6 #2 0xb7e568bb in __sleep (seconds=0) at sleep.c:138 #3 0x080496d5 in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How the Sleep function will work?

Hi All, I am new to Unix , there i am facing one problem with sleep command. that is .. in while loop i have defined sleep function .. my condition is like this while #i knew this is infinite loop do sleep 200 echo "hello " done. this condition will never become .. true... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandlysreedhar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep while i > 0

Hi, I have a script that runs a process at the beginning and I want to sleep/wait until this process is finished and then continue with the rest of the script. I am trying with this, but it is not working: process=`ps -ef | grep "proc_p01 -c" | grep -v grep | wc -l` if ; do sleep 10 done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
7 Replies

8. Programming

Sleep function not detected

Hello Im using geany to write my c codes. Below is my code to make the internal LED of beaglebone flashing. But i cant seem to use the sleep or delay to make the program wait for a couple of miliseconds. I've included all include files that i can find but none of it solve the problem. Any help is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HellRyder
1 Replies

9. Programming

Doubt with signals and sleep function

Hi , I have a doubt with signals and sleep function. In a program i have this while(1) { //do some work sleep(1); }And in a thread i have something like this union sigval data; char message; char msg; data.sival_int=0; while(1) { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bacesado
4 Replies
GFS_PIO_READDELIM(3)													      GFS_PIO_READDELIM(3)

NAME
gfs_pio_readdelim - read one record SYNOPSIS
#include <gfarm/gfarm.h> char *gfs_pio_readdelim (GFS_File f, char **bufp, size_t *sizep, size_t *lenp, char *delimiter, size_t delimlen); DESCRIPTION
gfs_pio_readdelim() works like gfs_pio_readline(), except a delimiter of input records is not always newline, and can be specified. This function reads one record from the file specified by the parameter gf, by using the parameter delimiter as the delimiter of the input records. You can include '' character in the delimiter, So, you have to specify the length of the delimiter by the parameter delimlen. If parameter delimiter is NULL, this function reads entire file as one record. Otherwise, and if the parameter delimlen is 0, this func- tion treats two or more consecutive empty lines (/ +/ in a regular expression) as the input delimiter. This feature is derived from INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR in perl language. Parameter bufp specifies an address of a pointer variable initialzed by NULL at first. gfs_pio_readdelim() allocates a buffer for I/O dynamically, and stores the address of the buffer to this variable pointed by bufp. Parameter sizep specifies an address of a size_t vari- able initialized by 0. This size_t variable is used to record the size of the buffer. Or, you can specify a buffer allocated by malloc(3) in the variable pointed by the parameter bufp. In this case, you have to specify the size of the allocated buffer by the parameter sizep. If the length of the record exceeds the size of the buffer, the buffer will be automatically realloc(3)ed, and the variable pointed by bufp and sizep will be updated respectively. Note that you are responsible to free(3) this buffer. This function returns the length of the record to a variable pointed by the parameter lenp. This length includes the length of the record delimiter. This function doesn't remove the delimiter at the end of records. Also, despite that you can use the value returned by the variable pointed by lenp, this function always appends ' character at the end of records. If the file reaches its end, the length of the result record becomes 0. gfs_pio_readdelim(f, bufp, sizep, lenp, " ", 1) is equivalent to gfs_pio_readline() function. RETURN VALUES
NULL The function terminated successfully. GFARM_ERR_NO_MEMORY Insufficient memory was available. Note that you need to free(3) the buffer pointed by the parameter bufp Others An error except the above occurred. The reason is shown by its pointed strings. EXAMPLES
EXAMPLE OF GFS_PIO_READDELIM FUNCTION #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #include <gfarm/gfarm.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { char *e; GFS_File gf; size_t bufsize = 0, delimlen = 1, len; char *buffer = NULL, *delim = " "; e = gfarm_initialize(&argc, &argv); if (e != NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "gfarm_initialize: %s ", e); return (EXIT_FAILURE); } while ((c = getopt(argc, argv, "d:D")) != -1) { switch (c) { case 'd': delim = optarg; delimlen = strlen(optarg); break; case 'D': delim = NULL; delimlen = 0; break; case '?': default: fprintf(stderr, "invalid option: %c ", c); return (EXIT_FAILURE); } } if (optind >= argc) { fprintf(stderr, "missing gfarm filename "); return (EXIT_FAILURE); } e = gfs_pio_open(argv[optind], GFARM_FILE_RDONLY, &gf); if (e != NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "%s: %s ", argv[optind], e); return (EXIT_FAILURE); } e = gfs_pio_set_view_global(gf, 0); if (e != NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "%s: gfs_pio_set_view_global: %s ", argv[optind], e); return (EXIT_FAILURE); } while ((e = gfs_pio_readdelim(gf, &buffer, &bufsize, &len, delim, delimlen)) == NULL && len > 0) { printf("<%6d/%6d >%s", len, bufsize, buffer); } if (buffer != NULL) free(buffer); if (e != NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "ERROR: %s ", e); return (EXIT_FAILURE); } e = gfs_pio_close(gf); if (e != NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "gfs_pio_close: %s ", e); return (EXIT_FAILURE); } e = gfarm_terminate(); if (e != NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "gfarm_initialize: %s ", e); return (EXIT_FAILURE); } return (EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
gfs_pio_open(3), gfs_pio_getline(3), gfs_pio_gets(3), gfs_pio_readline(3) Gfarm 13 May 2004 GFS_PIO_READDELIM(3)