Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris add administrator user to system Post 302356418 by jlliagre on Friday 25th of September 2009 11:50:58 AM
Old 09-25-2009
It is unclear what you are asking for.

Is this about root and root aliases, "Primary Administrator" profile, "root" role or a group that would grant some privileges on your system ?

Also, what Solaris release are you using ?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to add user on Embedded System

The directions below were provided by someone on the unslung mailing list. unslung is a linux OS for LinkSys's $100 NSLU2 NAS controller. I'm posting the query here because (1) I think it is really a generic linux/unix questions (2) I did not get a response in the unslung mailing list. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

I want to become a System Administrator

Has anyone got any advice on how I can get a job as a Unix/Solaris system administrator? My current job is supporting an application that runs on Solaris servers. I have very minimal Solaris/Unix skills but would like to expand on them with the aim of getting a junior sys admin role. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
4 Replies

3. AIX

Test 223: System p Administrator

Please may you help me with specific study packs, redbooks etc that may help me pass this certification. Also can you advise me the best AIX certification course as I am new to AIX, coming from solaris and networking environments. Thanx (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zim-Aix-Guru
10 Replies

4. Advertise with Us

Needed: Sr. System Administrator

Composite Software, Inc. is hiring! Sr. System Administrator Location: San Mateo, CA REQ: 10-22 Reports to: IT Manager Job Description Composite Software is hiring a full-time System Administrator. The system administrator will be responsible for installing,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Composite SW
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting for System Administrator

Hello All, If possible can anybody kindly let me know the good shell scripting book for system Administrator. Thanks & Regards, Vinay.K.S (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinay_ks
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Know your System Administrator

Couldn't resist: www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/know.your.sysadmin.html (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radoulov
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux System Administrator for a role in CH

Hi guys I hope I will not break any rules and guidelines on the forum with this post. I am Admir, working as a recruiter for execIT Recruitment Zurich, Switzerland. Our client is an urgent need of a linux system administrator/support analyst who has trading floor experience and is eligible... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BosAd
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Becoming a system administrator, need some advice.

I've been learning linux and solaris for the past couple months and have been thinking about seeking a systems admin career. Is it worth it to learn solaris? Do many companies really use it or is it a waste of my time? Would learning just linux be a better idea? I see there's more opportunity as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinramsay
2 Replies
NEWGRP(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp - log in to a new group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command is used to change the current group ID during a login session. If the optional - flag is given, the user's environment will be reinitialized as though the user had logged in, otherwise the current environment, including current working directory, remains unchanged. newgrp changes the current real group ID to the named group, or to the default group listed in /etc/passwd if no group name is given. newgrp also tries to add the group to the user groupset. If not root, the user will be prompted for a password if she does not have a password (in /etc/shadow if this user has an entry in the shadowed password file, or in /etc/passwd otherwise) and the group does, or if the user is not listed as a member and the group has a password. The user will be denied access if the group password is empty and the user is not listed as a member. If there is an entry for this group in /etc/gshadow, then the list of members and the password of this group will be taken from this file, otherwise, the entry in /etc/group is considered. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), su(1), sg(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 NEWGRP(1)