Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Refer a remote file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Refer a remote file Post 302356254 by blackeyed on Friday 25th of September 2009 03:42:05 AM
Old 09-25-2009
Refer a remote file

I need to refer a remote(present on another unix server) directory from my unix machine as a local file.
e.g.

I have one directory D1 on 10.10.10.10 and i need to access files in this directory just like they are present on my unix machine 20.20.20.20.
Is there any way out... i read a bit about symbolic links but dont know how to use them for remote directory...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to refer one variable using another

Hi, How will you refer one variable's value using another in unix? For e.g Take the case System1_ip=172.120.20.54 And in latter part of the program while I'm using the values in a for loop I use i=System1 j=${i}_ip k=$j But K's value at the end of the run is System1_ip I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayanandra
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to refer to an old command

I want to see a command that I typed a few days back. It looks like I can access only the latest 1000 commands through the history command. Is there a way I can access it or has it been deleted? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to refer to variable (korn shell)?

Hi I have the following block of code in korn shell and don't now how to refer to variable `print variable1.$dvd` ? --- integer dvd=4 integer number=0 while (( dvd!=0 )) do print "Iteracja numer : $dvd" print "$_" #it refers to $dvd var but want to refer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-0, what does it refer to?

When we write a Unix command for example like this: curl -0 ........ What is meant by "-0"? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abder-Rahman
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hot to retrieve *.sql file names which we refer in .sh file.

Hi Guys, How to retrieve/get *.sql file names which we refer in all *.sh files. Can any one help me on this. Thanks, Kolipaka (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmanrk811
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to refer to input file in code?

This may be a dumb question, but googling is not giving me an answer. I'm trying to figure out how to refer to an input file in my code. Lets say i run a script in bash: "sh shellscript.sh inputfile" (Inputfile will be variable...whatever file i run the script on) I wanted to make... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato22
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to refer both files in awk?

Hi, In the script below, how can I refer both the input files at the same time? nawk '{print NR "-" FNR "-" FILENAME}' f1 f2 output: 1-1-f1 2-2-f1 3-3-f1 4-4-f1 5-1-f2 6-2-f2 7-3-f2 I want output like: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store remote variable from remote cat file ??

I am trying to cat on a file located on remote server and assign it to remote variable. I have both local and remote variables. Running below script from local. test.sh J_NAME=XXX2 J_IP=XXX ssh $J_IP "ps auxw |grep java | grep -v grep |grep $J_NAME | awk '{print ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[[ -e $filename ]] - which man page to refer to these options

What does this do: f{ local logfile=$1 ] && logfile=$AMS_LOGFILE echo -e "--" } Can someone please guide me what does a) local variable do b) -z option stands for what? c) what other options are there (like -n, or -e, .., which man page do i refer to go through these... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AKS_Techie
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Refer a properties file from different location

Hi All, I'm having a python script: test.py in /path/to/script/test.py I'm using a properties file: test_properties.py (it is having values as dictionary{}) which is in same DIR as the script. Sample Properties file: params = { 'target_db' : 'a1_db' 'src_db' : ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: saps19
15 Replies
FTPFS(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  FTPFS(4)

NAME
ftpfs - file transfer protocol (FTP) file system SYNOPSIS
ftpfs [ -/dq ] [ -m mountpoint ] [ -a password ] system DESCRIPTION
Ftpfs dials the TCP file transfer protocol (FTP) port, 21, on system and mounts itself (see bind(2)) on mountpoint (default /n/ftp) to pro- vide access to files on the remote machine. If required by the remote machine, ftpfs will prompt for a user name and password. The user names ftp and anonymous conventionally offer guest/read-only access to machines. Anonymous FTP may be called without user interaction by using the -a option and specifying the password. By default the file seen at the mount point is the user's remote home directory. The option -/ forces the mount point to correspond to the remote root. To avoid seeing startup messages from the server use option -q. To see all messages from the server use option -d. To terminate the connection, unmount (see bind(1)) the mount point. EXAMPLE
You want anonymous FTP access to the system export.lcs.mit.edu. The first import(4) command is only necessary if your machine does not have access to the desired system, but another, called gateway in this example, does. import gateway /net ftpfs -a yourname@yourmachine export.lcs.mit.edu SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/ftpfs SEE ALSO
bind(2) BUGS
Symbolic links on remote Unix systems will always have mode 0777 and a length of 8. After connecting to a TOPS-20 system, the mount point will contain only one directory, usually /n/ftp/PS:<ANONYMOUS>. However, walking to any valid directory on that machine will succeed and cause that directory entry to appear under the mount point. Ftpfs caches files and directories. A directory will fall from the cache after 5 quiescent minutes or if the local user changes the direc- tory by writing or removing a file. Otherwise, remote changes to the directory that occur after the directory has been cached might not be immediately visible. There is no way to issue the appropriate commands to handle special synthetic FTP file types such as directories that automatically return a tar of their contents. FTPFS(4)