Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pass perl variables to shell script Post 302356185 by varontron on Thursday 24th of September 2009 09:56:44 PM
Old 09-24-2009
MySQL

you could execute your perl script from a shell script to capture the perl script output like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
for each in list
do
  ID_NUMBER=`perl myscript.pl`
  # do more stuff
done

or you can do this from within perl:
Code:
#!/bin/perl

for ... {
  $ENV{ID_NUMBER}=$myval;
  system("do_something_with_ID_NUMBER.sh");
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass Shell variables to sqlplus use them as parameters

Hi, I am trying to pass some of the variables in my shell scripts to the sqlplus call and use them as parameters. For example, I would like to replace the 'SAS', and '20050612' with $var1 and $var2, respectively, how can I do that? --------------------------------------------------------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jtrinh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help passing variables in shell script to perl one-liner

I'm writing a script to automate some post-install tasks on RHEL4 servers. I need the following code to insert an 'A' in the middle of a string, then replace the string in a file. I know I can use sed to do this, but I'd like to use perl's in place edit so I don't have to write to a temp file,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xek
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass variables from one script to another

HI all I am calling a script "b" from script "a". In script "a", i connect to database and get month and year. I have to pass these same values to script b. How can i do that. How can i pass parameters from one script to another (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we pass an array of strings from a Perl Program to a Shell Script?

Hi Folks, The subject is my question: Can we pass an array of strings from a Perl Program to a Shell Script? Please provide some sample code. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:43 PM ---------- I got it. Its here:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - pass shell-vars into perl for input loop

I need to process a file line-by-line using some value from a shell variable Something like:perl -p -e 's/$shell_srch/$shell_replace/g' input.txt I can't make the '-s' work in the '-p' or '-n' input loop (or couldn't find a syntaxis.) I have searched and found... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass shell variables to awk's pattern?

How would I get folders owned by specific users.. I want to pass users as a shell variable to awk. drwxr-x--x 3 user1 allusers 512 Oct 14 2006 946157019/ drwxr-x--x 3 user2 allusers 512 Mar 9 2008 94825883/ drwxr-x--x 3 user3 allusers 512 Mar 9 2008 948390501/ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How we can pass the argument when calling shell script from perl script

Can someone let me know how could I achieve this In one of per script I am calling the shell script but I need to so one thing that is one shell script call I need to pass pne argument.In below code I am calling my ftp script but here I want to pass one argument so how could I do this (e.g:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass variables from a text file to a shell script

Hi, I have a text file as follows: a.txt ------ STEPS=3 STEP_DURATION=100 INTERVAL=60 I want to use these values in a shell script. How to go about this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akarnya
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies
PPERL(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 PPERL(1p)

NAME
PPerl - Make perl scripts persistent in memory SYNOPSIS
$ pperl foo.pl DESCRIPTION
This program turns ordinary perl scripts into long running daemons, making subsequent executions extremely fast. It forks several processes for each script, allowing many processes to call the script at once. It works a lot like SpeedyCGI, but is written a little differently. I didn't use the SpeedyCGI codebase, because I couldn't get it to compile, and needed something ASAP. The easiest way to use this is to change your shebang line from: #!/usr/bin/perl -w To use pperl instead: #!/usr/bin/pperl -w WARNINGS
Like other persistent environments, this one has problems with things like BEGIN blocks, global variables, etc. So beware, and try checking the mod_perl guide at http://perl.apache.org/guide/ for lots of information that applies to many persistent perl environments. Parameters $ pperl <perl params> -- <pperl params> scriptname <script params> The perl params are sent to the perl binary the first time it is started up. See perlrun for details. The pperl params control how pperl works. Try -h for an overview. The script params are passed to the script on every invocation. The script also gets any current environment variables, the current working directory, and everything on STDIN. Killing In order to kill a currently running PPerl process, use: pperl -- -k <scriptname> You need to make sure the path to the script is the same as when it was invoked. Alternatively look for a .pid file for the script in your tmp directory, and kill (with SIGINT) the process with that PID. ENVIRONMENT
pperl uses the PPERL_TMP_PATH environment variable to determine the directory where to store the files used for inter-process communication. By default, the subdirectory .pperl of the user's home directory is used. BUGS
The process does not reload when the script or modules change. $^S is not represented identically with respect to perl, since your script will be run within an eval block AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org. Copyright 2001 MessageLabs Ltd. SEE ALSO
perl. perlrun. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 PPERL(1p)