Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Best way to find largest files in a directory Post 302356091 by methyl on Thursday 24th of September 2009 12:54:22 PM
Old 09-24-2009
Quote:
ls -la |awk '{print $5," ",$9}' sort -rn|less
You probably want "ls -l" rather than "ls -la" to avoid processing "." and "..".
Also, because you have sorted with the highest at the top (-r) you probably want "more" not "less". On my system the sort "-n" (numeric) switch needs to be before the "-r" reverse switch. Also, there is a pipe missing in your command line.

Try:
Quote:
ls -l |awk '{print $5," ",$9}' | sort -n -r | more

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Finding largest file in current directory?

I was hoping to get some assistance with this C program I am working on. The goal is to find the largest file in the current directory and then display this filename along with the filesize. What I have so far will display all the files in the current directory. But, how do I deal with "grabbing"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AusTex
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

largest size directory in unix

I want to find the which directory under a directory occupy the maximum size is there is any command to find please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list largest files in a directory & its subdirectories

I need to find the largest files in a directory & it's subdirectories. I'm not sure what options on ls -l will work to give me this. or is there another way to do this? Thanks, igidttam (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
6 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

find the 5o largest files in a directory

I'm trying to find the 50 largest file in a directory named /sasdb and its' subdirectories. I'm using the find command and a pipe to awk Not sure if I'm actually getting the largest files from this directory and its subdirectories. Here is the code I used... find /sasdb -ls | awk '{print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find largest file

Hi, 1)I have XX directory and have lot of files ,I want to find largest file in that directory 2)how calculate the size of file in MB. Thanks, Mohan (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
15 Replies

6. HP-UX

find the largest file in whole system

find the largest file in whole system (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the list of 5 largest file in current directory?

Hello, How to find the list of 5 largest(size wise) file in current directory?i tried using ls -l | sort -t " " -r +5 -6 -n | head -5 but this is not giving correct output as ls -l command gives 1 extra line of output that is how many total files are there!so by running the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find largest files

Hello, i am on linux 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp , and i would be very greatfull if someone could help to find the largest files on that server. I know i can find files with find command or list them with ls , but is there a way that i could list let's say 10 biggest files on server ? :o (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find largest file.

Hi All, Is there a direct Linux command to find the largest file by checking recursively in all the directories. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Find the largest file in the given directory.

Hi Experts, 1. In unix how to list the largest file in given directory. The answer will in single line statement. 2. I have Sun solaris live CD .I try to compile sample c program using "CC compiler".But its shows "cc command not found". Please help on this. Thanks in advance.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkl
4 Replies
SORT(1) 							   User Commands							   SORT(1)

NAME
sort - sort lines of text files SYNOPSIS
sort [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write sorted concatenation of all FILE(s) to standard output. Ordering options: Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --ignore-leading-blanks ignore leading blanks -d, --dictionary-order consider only blanks and alphanumeric characters -f, --ignore-case fold lower case to upper case characters -g, --general-numeric-sort compare according to general numerical value -i, --ignore-nonprinting consider only printable characters -M, --month-sort compare (unknown) < `JAN' < ... < `DEC' -n, --numeric-sort compare according to string numerical value -r, --reverse reverse the result of comparisons Other options: -c, --check check whether input is sorted; do not sort -k, --key=POS1[,POS2] start a key at POS1, end it at POS 2 (origin 1) -m, --merge merge already sorted files; do not sort -o, --output=FILE write result to FILE instead of standard output -s, --stable stabilize sort by disabling last-resort comparison -S, --buffer-size=SIZE use SIZE for main memory buffer -t, --field-separator=SEP use SEP instead of non- to whitespace transition -T, --temporary-directory=DIR use DIR for temporaries, not $TMPDIR or /tmp multiple options specify multiple directories -u, --unique with -c: check for strict ordering otherwise: output only the first of an equal run -z, --zero-terminated end lines with 0 byte, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit POS is F[.C][OPTS], where F is the field number and C the character position in the field. OPTS is one or more single-letter ordering options, which override global ordering options for that key. If no key is given, use the entire line as the key. SIZE may be followed by the following multiplicative suffixes: % 1% of memory, b 1, K 1024 (default), and so on for M, G, T, P, E, Z, Y. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. *** WARNING *** The locale specified by the environment affects sort order. Set LC_ALL=C to get the traditional sort order that uses native byte values. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Haertel and Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for sort is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sort programs are properly installed at your site, the command info sort should give you access to the complete manual. sort (coreutils) 4.5.3 October 2002 SORT(1)