Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't use Text::CSV... any sample code out there? Post 302356049 by mrwatkin on Thursday 24th of September 2009 11:10:00 AM
Old 09-24-2009
Can't use Text::CSV... any sample code out there?

I was looking at a library that lets me parse comma delimited csv files without a problem, but unfortunately, I'm not allowed to make use of that library. I understand that the library probably does something similar to a string split(), but I don't quite know what kind of regular expression is being used for something that's within double quotes, but contains a comma while the line is comma delimited. for instance:

a, "b", "a,b,c", d

Should only be 4 columns. What kind of regular expression would indicate this?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sample Unix script file to convert .xml to .csv

Dear all, Can you send me a script file the changes .xml to .csv file. Thanks, Srinivasa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasaphani
4 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need the sample code for implementation of SFTP

Hi we need to implement SFTP through unix shell scripts. I have seen many posts, in which there is discussion about non-interactive,automated SFTP. Can anyone please send me the sample code for SFTP shell script. We are using SFTP to transfer the files from the host server to the target... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarm
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text to csv

Hi, I have a document with a lot of data, it is structured like this, UNIQUESTRING To be acquited of a crime is to be deemed to be innocent of the charges after a court hearing. This is different from a <a href=lawglos_Discharge.html>Discharge</a>, where the case is never heard. In... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text to CSV

Hi, My access log looks like this... 192.168.50.184 - - "GET /ATIM_LATEST/ABC/ HTTP/1.1" 200 522 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13" 192.168.50.184 - - "GET /ATIM_LATEST/ABC/ATIM/syncdepot.php HTTP/1.1" 200 1463... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Java api/sample code for sftp

I'm trying to find an api for Java to send/receive files via sftp. There are some available for purchase out there such as JScape, but I was hoping to find a free one. Does anyone know of one? I would also like to find an open source java example application that can send files via sftp. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnRodey
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sample code to display mounted devices

Hi all I need to write shell script to list out the mounted devices for a particular user. As i am new to shell script please help me. Here the problem is sometime unmounted devices also will be displayed in fstab. How to rectify that? Can anybody help me? Regards Ilamathi (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilamathi
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

text to csv conversion

Thank u every body ......just need a help so that a text file needs to be converted into CSV............. my log file is as follows Host scsi3: usb-storage Vendor: Maxtor Product: OneTouch III Serial Number: 044303E5 Protocol: Transparent SCSI Transport: Bulk ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tangotango
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text to CSV

Hi Gurus I need urgent help to convert a flat log file into csv format to load into database. Log looks like: a=1 b=2 c=3 a=4 b=5 c=6 Only the values at right side of = will come into csv and it should create a new line once it receives "a" field. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandipjee
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text to csv

Hi, Is there somebody there to post an idea on how to convert this 5 liner row to 1 liner or tab delimiter to be import to database. Here the text file format: Description: Description1 Link: https://www.google.com Date: June 2, 2018 Time: 00:07:44 Age: 1 days ago Description:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
2 Replies
CSV(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  CSV(3pm)

NAME
Class::CSV - Class based CSV parser/writer SYNOPSIS
use Class::CSV; my $csv = Class::CSV->parse( filename => 'test.csv', fields => [qw/item qty sub_total/] ); foreach my $line (@{$csv->lines()}) { $line->sub_total('$'. sprintf("%0.2f", $line->sub_total())); print 'Item: '. $line->item(). " ". 'Qty: '. $line->qty(). " ". 'SubTotal: '. $line->sub_total(). " "; } my $cvs_as_string = $csv->string(); $csv->print(); my $csv = Class::CSV->new( fields => [qw/userid username/], line_separator => " "; ); $csv->add_line([2063, 'testuser']); $csv->add_line({ userid => 2064, username => 'testuser2' }); DESCRIPTION
This module can be used to create objects from CSV files, or to create CSV files from objects. Text::CSV_XS is used for parsing and creating CSV file lines, so any limitations in Text::CSV_XS will of course be inherant in this module. EXPORT None by default. METHOD
CONSTRUCTOR parse the parse constructor takes a hash as its paramater, the various options that can be in this hash are detailed below. Required Options o fields - an array ref containing the list of field names to use for each row. there are some reserved words that cannot be used as field names, there is no checking done for this at the moment but it is something to be aware of. the reserved field names are as follows: "string", "set", "get". also field names cannot contain whitespace or any characters that would not be allowed in a method name. Source Options (only one of these is needed) o filename - the path of the CSV file to be opened and parsed. o filehandle - the file handle of the CSV file to be parsed. o objects - an array ref of objects (e.g. Class::DBI objects). for this to work properly the field names provided in fields needs to correspond to the field names of the objects in the array ref. o classdbi_objects - depreciated use objects instead - using classdbi_objects will still work but its advisable to update your code. Optional Options o line_separator - the line seperator to be included at the end of every line. defaulting to " " (unix carriage return). new the new constructor takes a hash as its paramater, the same options detailed in parse apply to new however no Source Options can be used. this constructor creates a blank CSV object of which lines can be added via add_line. ACCESSING lines returns an array ref containing objects of each CSV line (made via Class::Accessor). the field names given upon construction are available as accessors and can be set or get. for more information please see the notes below or the perldoc for Class::Accessor. the lines accessor is also able to be updated/retrieved in the same way as individual lines fields (examples below). Example retrieving the lines: my @lines = @{$csv->lines()}; removing the first line: pop @lines; $csv->lines(@lines); sorting the lines: @lines = sort { $a->userid() <=> $b->userid() } @lines: $csv->lines(@lines); sorting the lines (all-in-one way): $csv->lines([ sort { $a->userid() <=> $b->userid() } @{$csv->lines()} ]); Retrieving a fields value there is two ways to retrieve a fields value (as documented in Class::Accessor). firstly you can call the field name on the object and secondly you can call "get" on the object with the field name as the argument (multiple field names can be specified to retrieve an array of values). examples are below. my $value = $line->test(); OR my $value = $line->get('test'); OR my @values = $line->get(qw/test test2 test3/); Setting a fields value setting a fields value is simmilar to getting a fields value. there are two ways to set a fields value (as documented in Class::Accessor). firstly you can simply call the field name on the object with the value as the argument or secondly you can call "set" on the object with a hash of fields and their values to set (this isn't standard in Class::Accessor, i have overloaded the "set" method to allow this). examples are below. $line->test('123'); OR $line->set( test => '123' ); OR $line->set( test => '123', test2 => '456' ); Retrieving a line as a string to retrieve a line as a string simply call "string" on the object. my $string = $line->string(); new_line returns a new line object, this can be useful for to "splice" a line into lines (see example below). you can pass the values of the line as an ARRAY ref or a HASH ref. Example my $line = $csv->new_line({ userid => 123, domainname => 'splicey.com' }); my @lines = $csv->lines(); splice(@lines, 1, 0, $line); OR splice(@{$csv->lines()}, 1, 0, $csv->new_line({ userid => 123, domainname => 'splicey.com' })); add_line adds a line to the lines stack. this is mainly useful when the new constructor is used but can of course be used with any constructor. it will add a new line to the end of the lines stack. you can pass the values of the line as an ARRAY ref or a HASH ref. examples of how to use this are below. Example $csv->add_line(['house', 100000, 4]); $csv->add_line({ item => 'house', cost => 100000, bedrooms => 4 }); OUTPUT string returns the object as a string (CSV file format). print calls "print" on string (prints the CSV to STDOUT). SEE ALSO
Text::CSV_XS, Class::Accessor AUTHOR
David Radunz, <david@boxen.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004 by David Radunz This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.0 2007-02-08 CSV(3pm)