Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Tape Loader Device /dev/sgN is altering after each reboot Post 302356043 by mark54g on Thursday 24th of September 2009 10:39:43 AM
Old 09-24-2009
Look into udev. It should do what you want. Here's a starter on it

udev(8) - Linux man page

as well as Writing udev rules

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

mount: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 no such device

I've searched through unix.com and google for this issue I am having on one particular Sun E280R with installing netbackup software from CD. I know the cd is good because i installed the software on 4 other servers right before this one. This is the issue I am seeing. vold does not mount the CD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

3. AIX

Piping to /dev/rmt0 tape ?

I am trying to find a way to do the following on an AIX 4.2 with Korn: tar cvfpdl - . | compress > /dev/rmt0 The /dev/rmt0 is the device we use when we tar directly to it. I want to compress a folder's content to tape. Our current TAR does not have compression at all. We only have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh, bash, and /dev/stderr: no such device

Hello, When I run the following program: ssh 192.168.1.4 bash -l <<EOF > echo foo >/dev/stderr > EOF I get the following confusing error. bash: line 1: /dev/stderr: No such device or address Does anyone know why and how to fix it? I'm capturing stdout in a variable, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Confirming Successful Server/Device Reboot

Hello I've created a list with IP address to servers/devices I would like to reboot and have logged the following to the /tmp before: -netstat -nrv -/etc/rc2.d/netmask -/etc/rc2.d/defaultrouter -ifconfig -a I would like to confirm that nothing changed after the reboot. I know this can be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
0 Replies

6. Hardware

/dev/ttyS0: Device or resource busy

hello to everybody I have Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 installed on my Desktop and I have a PCI serial card in my computer and it has only one serial port. Actually I want to use this serial port for the serial communication and for that I executed this command : $ setserial -g /dev/ttyS and I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: piyush011
0 Replies

7. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev not updated on usb device removal

Hello all :-) i'm not sure if its a beginner or advanced question but i have the following problem - now for some months after building a kernel from source (2.6.36 and now 2.6.38) the /dev/sd* entries are not removed if a remove the corresponding usb disk, sd card, what ever. i'm pretty sure... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apfelkuchen
0 Replies

9. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Can't find a device under /dev

Hi all, I am trying to see /dev/hwrng but can not find it. There are /dev/random and /dev/urandom but not the hwrng. Works the same config at other os. Any idea what might be happening ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: t35t
2 Replies
upstart-udev-bridge(8)					      System Manager's Manual					    upstart-udev-bridge(8)

NAME
upstart-udev-bridge - Bridge between Upstart and udev SYNOPSIS
upstart-udev-bridge [OPTIONS]... DESCRIPTION
upstart-udev-bridge receives information about kernel uevents that udev(8) has completed and creates init(8) events for them. It emits events which match the pattern "S-device-A" where 'S' is the udev subsystem and 'A' is one of added, changed or removed, which correspond to the past tense of the udev 'action'. See udev(7) and for further details. Assuming /sys is mounted, possible values for subsystem for your system are viewable via /sys/class/. OPTIONS
--daemon Detach and run in the background. --debug Enable debugging output. --help Show brief usage summary. --no-strip Do not modify udev message contents. By default, all udev data will have non-printable bytes removed. This option reverts the behav- iour to not modifying the data in any way. This option is not recommended since specifying it could result in udev(7) events not being emitted as Upstart events should any of your hardware expose non-printable characters to the kernel. You can establish whether this is happening by running without specifying this option but with the --debug option. --verbose Enable verbose output. EXAMPLES
Some examples of Upstart events generated by this bridge: net-device-added Event emitted when a network device is added. net-device-removed Event emitted when a network device is removed. graphics-card-added Event emitted when a graphics device is available to the system. NOTES
This is a temporary tool until init(8) itself gains the functionality to read them directly; you should not rely on its behaviour. AUTHOR
Written by Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> BUGS
Report bugs at <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upstart/+bugs> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009,2010,2011 Canonical Ltd. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
init(5) init(8) udev(7) upstart 2011-03-08 upstart-udev-bridge(8)