Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu SSH droping connections over a VPN Post 302355708 by lzcool on Wednesday 23rd of September 2009 12:47:29 PM
Old 09-23-2009
SSH droping connections over a VPN

Hello friends,

I'm connection to an external network using a VPN configured over an Ubuntu.

The problem is that whenever I get connected to a remote computer using my VPN as router, after a while, sometimes short, sometimes long, sometimes immediately, the connection gets lost and I've to reconnect to the remote computer.

I've checked the ssh configuration on the machine running the VPN and I think the error is not coming from that way, I'm guessing the VPN somehow fails and drops the connection, I don't think this is a networking issue either because I can be connected using another vpn program like Cisco's and the connection won't fail

Any information on how could I check where the SSH connection fails would be appreciated. also, if anyone has been in a similar situation and has information I might find useful would ve very welcome.

Thanks in advance

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

ipfw slow ssh and ftp connections

just as the title says. thanks. #General Rule Sets /sbin/ipfw add 0300 check-state /sbin/ipfw add 0301 deny tcp from any to any in established /sbin/ipfw add 0302 pass tcp from any to any out setup keep-state /sbin/ipfw add 0303 pass udp from any to any out #SSH FTP /sbin/ipfw add 0400... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwildgoose
11 Replies

2. AIX

Show number of SSH connections

I'm investigating an issue where rsync's to an AIX server will sometimes fail. I suspect the problem might be due to the number of simultaneous SSH connections being made to the host dropping the rsync attempts. I'd like to view the number of open ssh connections. The who command will list logged... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indiana_tas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disallow new ssh connections for a while ?

Hello, What is the best way to disallow new ssh connections for the duration of my session ? I want to evade read/write collisions. Things work like that - one session put files on server, other copies these files and then deletes them. So in order to evade collision: - I check if there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need Password-Less ssh with RSA-VPN

We have RSA SecureID softtoken key generator on my Windows machine. It generates new keys every 1 minute. Any HPUX server (be it ServerD or ServerP) requires my ID and the randomly generated RSA SecureID softtoken key from my Windows to login. I login to ServerD. Then I run a script... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to test 100 ssh connections in parallel using loop and sleep? How to do that ?

Hello All, I want to test how much parallel ssh connections can be done on a server. I am thinking of reading username and hostname from a file and then using a loop (may be for) to do ssh on different host. Could anyone suggest me how can i write the script for the above. Thank you in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABHIKORIA
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

VPN ssh access over RDP port?

Guys, Can I use an open RDP port to gain ssh access to my Linux server running the other side of our firewall? I work from home on the odd occasion, we only have RDP port 3389 available once logged into the VPN. I would rather ssh into my workstation without the need for a desktop display. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
3 Replies

7. Solaris

How do I keep an X session alive when my VPN/ssh disconnects so I can reconnect later?

Hi, Sorry if this question has been asked before, however, I have tried looking in the forum (and google in general) and I haven't found an answer, so I thought I'd ask here. I am trying to use a GUI application in Solaris 10. Normally I connect with a VPN then SSH and use Xming to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John_sp
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assistance with testing ssh connections and what the return codes mean

Hello Forum, I'm using a bit of code from a script I found that allows me to capture the status code of connecting via SSH to remote servers: ssh -qno StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o ConnectTimeout=1 user@$InputIP 'ls -l /home/user >/dev/null 2>&1' > /dev/null 2>&1 status="$(echo $?)" echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
4 Replies
ipa-replica-conncheck(1)					 IPA Manual Pages					  ipa-replica-conncheck(1)

NAME
ipa-replica-conncheck - Check a replica-master network connection before installation SYNOPSIS
ipa-replica-conncheck [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
When an IPA replica is being installed a network connection between a replica machine and a replicated IPA master machine has to be pre- pared for master-replica communication. In case of a flawed connection the installation may fail with inconvenient error messages. A common connection problem is a misconfigured firewall with closed required port on a replica or master machine. The connection is checked by running a set of tests from both master and replica machines. The program is incorporated to ipa-replica-install(1) but can be also run separately. OPTIONS
REPLICA MACHINE OPTIONS This set of options is used when the connection check is run on a prepared IPA replica machine. -m MASTER, --master=MASTER Remote master machine address -a, --auto-master-check Automatically log in to master machine and execute the master machine part of the connection check. The following options for replica part are only evaluated when this option is set -r REALM, --realm=REALM The Kerberos realm name for the IPA server -k KDC, --kdc=KDC KDC server address. Defaults t MASTER -p PRINCIPAL, --principal=PRINCIPAL Authorized Kerberos principal to use to log in to master machine. Defaults to admin -w PASSWORD, --password=PASSWORD Password for given principal. The password will be prompted interactively when this option is missing MASTER MACHINE OPTIONS This set of options is used when the connection check is run on a master machine against a running ipa-replica-conncheck(1) on a replica machine. -R REPLICA, --replica=REPLICA Remote replica machine address COMMON OPTIONS -c, --check-ca Include in a check also a set of dogtag connection requirements. Only needed when the master was installed with Dogtag 9 or lower. -h HOSTNAME, --hostname=HOSTNAME The hostname of this server (FQDN). By default a nodename from uname(2) is used -d, --debug Print debugging information -q, --quiet Output only errors EXAMPLES
ipa-replica-conncheck -m master.example.com Run a replica machine connection check against a remote master master.example.com. If the connection to the remote master machine is successful the program will switch to listening mode and prompt for running the master machine part. The second part check the con- nection from master to replica. ipa-replica-conncheck -R replica.example.com Run a master machine connection check part. This is either run automatically by replica part of the connection check program (when -a option is set) or manually by the user. A running ipa-replica-conncheck(1) in a listening mode must be already running on a replica machine. ipa-replica-conncheck -m master.example.com -a -r EXAMPLE.COM -w password Run a replica-master connection check. In case of a success switch to listening mode, automatically log to master.example.com in a realm EXAMPLE.COM with a password password and run the second part of the connection check. EXIT STATUS
0 if the connection check was successful 1 if an error occurred SEE ALSO
ipa-replica-install(1) IPA
Jun 2 2011 ipa-replica-conncheck(1)