Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to view all files on DAT tape Post 302355612 by mark54g on Wednesday 23rd of September 2009 08:13:21 AM
Old 09-23-2009
Tapes are linear devices. If you need to do random reads, a random I/O device may suite you better.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How do l install Travan Tape drive 20/40 DAT on Redhat 8.0

Hi, Will someone help in giving the clue to installating Travan Tape drive on Redhat 8.0 Kayode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Hard Error:DAT Tape Drive

Well I have just added new tape drive to my server (lto) However I am getting few errors in using it. I have checked status with #iostat -En : giving me few hard errors, few soft errors and execution error. Also tape status is not visible as "no sense" its coming as "no additional sense". I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

3. Solaris

external tape drive DAT 72 problem

Hi all, I have solaris 10 sparc running and working very well but i have problem with external SCSI tape drive DAT 72 problem it seems to me the tape drive is manufactured by SUN microsystems when i ran ls -l /dev/rmt/0 it reveals the following output bash-3.00# mt -f /dev/rmt/0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

4. SCO

SCO UNIX DAT Tape Device

Looking for specifically naming convention for a tape device for SCO Unix What full system backup command should I use for SCO UNIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jedimaster
1 Replies

5. AIX

Help DAT 72 tape stuck.

Hi everyone, I have a ibm p65 server with an internal DAT 72 tape drive. When I go to press the eject button the second light will blink for several minutes then stop. If I issue a tctl -f /dev/rmt0 status it tells me its available and gives back other information. Now if I try this tctl -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsdtux
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Using ufsrestore from a DAT tape of ufsdump backup

hi, was wondering if there is a problem with the patches, and if we wish to restore everything back to square one, how should we go about using ufsrestore from a DAT tape of ufsdump backup data ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Exposure
1 Replies

7. AIX

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optimum
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to view .dat file?

What is the command that can be used to open or view the .dat file in linux? Unable to read the contents of .dat file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rupaa
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: optimum
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat?

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmcginni777
5 Replies
mt(1)								   User Commands							     mt(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape control SYNOPSIS
mt [-f tapename] command... [count] DESCRIPTION
The mt utility sends commands to a magnetic tape drive. If -f tapename is not specified, the environment variable TAPE is used. If TAPE does not exist, mt uses the device /dev/rmt/0n. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -f tapename Specifies the raw tape device. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: count The number of times that the requested operation is to be performed. By default, mt performs command once. Multiple opera- tions of command may be performed by specifying count. command Available commands that can be sent to a magnetic tape drive. Only as many characters as are required to uniquely identify a command need be specified. eof Writes count EOF marks at the current position on the tape. weof fsf Forward spaces over count EOF marks. The tape is positioned on the first block of the file. fsr Forward spaces count records. bsf Back spaces over count EOF marks. The tape is positioned on the beginning-of-tape side of the EOF mark. bsr Back spaces count records. nbsf Back spaces count files. The tape is positioned on the first block of the file. This is equivalent to count+1 bsf's followed by one fsf. asf Specifies absolute space to count file number. This is equivalent to a rewind followed by a fsf count. If count is specified with any of the following commands, the count is ignored and the command is performed only once. eom Spaces to the end of recorded media on the tape. This is useful for appending files onto previously written tapes. rewind Rewinds the tape. offline Rewinds the tape and, if appropriate, takes the drive unit off-line by unloading the tape. rewoffl status Prints status information about the tape unit. retension Rewinds the cartridge tape completely, then winds it forward to the end of the reel and back to beginning- of-tape to smooth out tape tension. reserve Allows the tape drive to remain reserved after closing the device. The drive must then be explicitly released. release Re-establishes the default behavior of releasing at close. forcereserve Breaks the reservation of the tape drive held by another host and then reserves the tape drive. This com- mand can be executed only with super-user privileges. erase Erases the entire tape. Caution: Some tape drives have option settings where only portions of the tape may be erased. Be sure to select the correct setting to erase the whole tape. Erasing a tape may take a long time depending on the device and/or tape. Refer to the device specific manual for time details. config Reads the drives current configuration from the driver and displays it in st.conf format. See st(7D) for definition of fields and there meanings. EXIT STATUS
0 All operations were successful. 1 Command was unrecognized or mt was unable to open the specified tape drive. 2 An operation failed. FILES
/dev/rmt/* magnetic tape interface ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
tar(1), tcopy(1), ar.h(3HEAD), environ(4), attributes(5), mtio( 7I), st(7D) BUGS
Not all devices support all options. Some options are hardware-dependent. Refer to the corresponding device manual page. mt is architecture sensitive. Heterogeneous operation (that is, SPARC to x86 or the reverse) is not supported. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 mt(1)