Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH Pipe question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers BASH Pipe question Post 302355577 by chakrapani on Wednesday 23rd of September 2009 05:58:18 AM
Old 09-23-2009
alias evol="kill -9 $(ps -AH | grep evol | awk '{ print $2 }')"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question in reference to the pipe |

My question is can you use the pipe more than one time in the same command line? By the way I am new to UNIX. Thanks in advanced! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elkoreanopr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe | question

how do you pipe the results to next statement as argument? somecommand | grep $result somefile how do you reference $result with?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
12 Replies

3. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Help...search then read from file: change text and pipe back...

Hello, I am trying to make a bash script that can pull data from a file and then change one part of said data. I want to search by username and pull the full line. That way there is a way to replace just one part of that line then return it back to the file. My Data is stored like: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: serverfull
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash code to create named Pipe

Guy's, I need help with creating a pipe, I found this code online but not exactly sure what different parts are doing. Will someone be able to help me with explaining what code is doing? Also what I want is to have everything the same directory. Meaning I am working in directory: I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to grep doesn't work in bash script

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that checks gvfs to see if a mount exists so I can run it from network-manager's status hooks. I thought I'd pipe the output of gvfs-mount -l to grep for the particular mounts I care about. When I do this in a bash script: cmnd="gvfs-mount -l | grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcstrom
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using pipe in bash - is this the expected behaviour?

Hi all, Am trying to convert a script from ksh to bash :wall:. One of the sub is something like below: #!/bin/bash declare -a array01 step_01_test() { local count=0 ps -ef | grep watch | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $8 }' | while read line do let count=${count}+1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[BASH] Read pipe of unkown number of arguments?

Heays So i have that script to which i'd like to pipe (rather than just regular arguments) some data from another virtual output command. Simplified: echo * | script.sh When i know how many args i expect, i can handle this simple by: && \ read ONE TWO && \ set ONE TWO echo "$1 : $2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe 2 bash loops together

What is the proper way to run two bash loops in the same command? The two below loops run separately, the problem is when I pipe them I get an error that the file used for the second loop does not exist. I am not sure how to wait for the first loop to complete and then start the second. Thank... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)