Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to view all files on DAT tape Post 302355405 by sdotsen on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 03:14:35 PM
Old 09-22-2009
How to view all files on DAT tape

I'm using tar and so far so good, but how can I view ALL files without having to fast forward and rewind the tape? Let's say I append 100 files onto the tape. Having to fast forward 100 times until I find the file I want is kinda tedious.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How do l install Travan Tape drive 20/40 DAT on Redhat 8.0

Hi, Will someone help in giving the clue to installating Travan Tape drive on Redhat 8.0 Kayode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Hard Error:DAT Tape Drive

Well I have just added new tape drive to my server (lto) However I am getting few errors in using it. I have checked status with #iostat -En : giving me few hard errors, few soft errors and execution error. Also tape status is not visible as "no sense" its coming as "no additional sense". I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

3. Solaris

external tape drive DAT 72 problem

Hi all, I have solaris 10 sparc running and working very well but i have problem with external SCSI tape drive DAT 72 problem it seems to me the tape drive is manufactured by SUN microsystems when i ran ls -l /dev/rmt/0 it reveals the following output bash-3.00# mt -f /dev/rmt/0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

4. SCO

SCO UNIX DAT Tape Device

Looking for specifically naming convention for a tape device for SCO Unix What full system backup command should I use for SCO UNIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jedimaster
1 Replies

5. AIX

Help DAT 72 tape stuck.

Hi everyone, I have a ibm p65 server with an internal DAT 72 tape drive. When I go to press the eject button the second light will blink for several minutes then stop. If I issue a tctl -f /dev/rmt0 status it tells me its available and gives back other information. Now if I try this tctl -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsdtux
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Using ufsrestore from a DAT tape of ufsdump backup

hi, was wondering if there is a problem with the patches, and if we wish to restore everything back to square one, how should we go about using ufsrestore from a DAT tape of ufsdump backup data ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Exposure
1 Replies

7. AIX

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optimum
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to view .dat file?

What is the command that can be used to open or view the .dat file in linux? Unable to read the contents of .dat file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rupaa
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: optimum
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat?

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmcginni777
5 Replies
TM(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     TM(4)

NAME
tm - TM-11/TU-10 magtape interface DESCRIPTION
The files mt0, ..., mt7 refer to the DEC TU10/TM11 magtape. When closed it can be rewound or not, see below. If it was open for writing, two end-of-files are written. If the tape is not to be rewound it is positioned with the head between the two tapemarks. If the 0200 bit is on in the minor device number the tape is not rewound when closed. A standard tape consists of a series of 512 byte records terminated by an end-of-file. To the extent possible, the system makes it possi- ble, if inefficient, to treat the tape like any other file. Seeks have their usual meaning and it is possible to read or write a byte at a time. Writing in very small units is inadvisable, however, because it tends to create monstrous record gaps. The mt files discussed above are useful when it is desired to access the tape in a way compatible with ordinary files. When foreign tapes are to be dealt with, and especially when long records are to be read or written, the `raw' interface is appropriate. The associated files are named rmt0, ..., rmt7. Each read or write call reads or writes the next record on the tape. In the write case the record has the same length as the buffer given. During a read, the record size is passed back as the number of bytes read, provided it is no greater than the buffer size; if the record is long, an error is indicated. In raw tape I/O, the buffer must begin on a word boundary and the count must be even. Seeks are ignored. A zero byte count is returned when a tape mark is read, but another read will fetch the first record of the new tape file. FILES
/dev/mt?, /dev/rmt? SEE ALSO
tp(1) BUGS
If any non-data error is encountered, it refuses to do anything more until closed. In raw I/O, there should be a way to perform forward and backward record and file spacing and to write an EOF mark. TM(4)