Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Forking a bunch of processes and filling up the process table Post 302355346 by peterro on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 10:55:04 AM
Old 09-22-2009
First off, it looks like you have problems with the box penguinshrimp since it's the only one being left. Does it ever hang on any other machine?

Next, I'd probably simplify the script by creating two variables, one for solaris boxes and the other for Linux.

Code:
linux_boxes="first_box second_box etc"

Then have two loops that iterate through those variables so you don't have to code for each box. Adding/removing a box is as simple as modifying the variable.

Code:
for box in $linux_boxes
do
  some stuff with $box
done

Also I'd probably change the test a bit to something like:

Code:
if ping -c 3 $box > /dev/null 2>&1
then
  ssh somewhere and do something
else
  echo $box is unpingable
fi

lastly, from getting it beat into my head in high-school programming, add some spacing/formatting in your code so it's a bit easier to read/modify/debug. This is especially true when your code is more complex.

Change this:

Code:
if [ $dayname = 'Sat' ]
then
if [ $dayname = 'Sat' -a $hour = 5 -a $minute -gt 50 ]
then
if [ $dayname = 'Sat' -a $hour = 6 -a $minute -lt 30 ]
then
exit
fi
fi
fi

to this:

Code:
if [ $dayname = 'Sat' ]
then
  if [ $dayname = 'Sat' -a $hour = 5 -a $minute -gt 50 ]
  then
    if [ $dayname = 'Sat' -a $hour = 6 -a $minute -lt 30 ]
    then
      exit
    fi
  fi
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process responsible for filling up /var/tmp

Hi, Help ! - I have a process which I cannot find that is writing to /var/tmp every 10 minutes and filling up my partition, it is also filling up my wtmpx file. I have some software error correction for a faulty DIMM at the moment - is this likely to be causing this as well as over-loading my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mal
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

forking and killing parent processes

Hi everybody, I'm having some problems wiriting a program in UNIX using the "fork" and "kill" system calls. I have to create a C program P0, which creates 9 other processes P1, P2, ..., P9, where P0 is the father of P1, P1 the father of P2, and so on. All the processes contain an infinite... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewilliams20
0 Replies

3. Programming

forking a new process

Hi I'm currently working with C on UNIX (HPUX) and need to be able to fork a seperate Java process from within a running C process. I can run the following code from the command line via a script but am having difficulty getting it to work from within the code. I am trying to use execl. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: themezzaman
4 Replies

4. Programming

forking n number of processes in a loop and not 2^n

Hi, Am working on linux. while forking in a loop how to avoid the child process from forking..for example int n = 5; pid_t pid; pid_t ch_pid; /*exactly wanted to create n processes and not 2^n processes*/ for(i = 0; i < n;i++) { if(pid = fork()) { /* parent... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
4 Replies

5. Programming

forking process.

#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int main() { pid_t pID; int i; for (i = 0; i < 3; i++) { pID = fork (); if (pID == 0) { printf ("Value of i --> %d... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymthasneem
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VERY confused about forking of child process

hi, I thought that when a child shell is forked, it will inherit all the variables of the parent now in my .cshrc I have setenv X x then I do at command line setenv X y and X is now y. So far so good! I then have a very simple script, y.csh #!/usr/bin/csh echo X (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing the forking process.

Hey, first time poster and a new UNIX user here. My question is regarding the forking process. I logged in to tty1, and typed the command ls -1 and hit enter. How can i tell that the ls -1 command ran in a subshell? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vitamin254
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forking a new process without parent dependance

hi, I want my program to fork a new process and then I want to kill the parent process. The parent program before dying will issue a SIGTERM to all its childs. Which eventually kills all Children. I cant handle the SIGTERM at the child level.:( What I was thinking of was the Parent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tyler_durden
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ensuring certain processes do not show up in process table

i've read somewhere a long time ago that there's a way to hide the workings of a script in sub functions so that when run, it doesn't show up in the process table. is this really possible? for instance, i need to run a command that has a password in it. and when that;s being run, it can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)