Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there a way to tee stderr from a command that's redirecting error to a file? Post 302355339 by sumgi on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 10:39:03 AM
Old 09-22-2009
Is there a way to tee stderr from a command that's redirecting error to a file?

I'm not a complete novice at unix but I'm not all that advanced either. I'm hoping that someone with a little more knowledge than myself has the answer I'm looking for.

I'm writing a wrapper script that will be passed user commands from the cron...

Ex:
Code:
./mywrapper.sh "/usr/bin/ps -ef | grep foo > log/ps.out 2>&1"

The wrapper will execute them from the cron and log start and stop times and any errors or exit codes.

Question:
However in the case as above that a user is redirecting their errors to their own log file is there a good way to sample the error such that both the user log and the wrapper log get the error message?

Let me know if you need more info, thanks!

Currently I am grabbing the stderr away from the user command and sending it to a temp file. However this method removes the error from the user log.

Ex:
Code:
eval "$1 2> temp.err"
ERR=`cat temp.err`
rm temp.err

Last edited by sumgi; 09-22-2009 at 02:05 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stderr while live

If I forget to set up stderr redirection on execution of a script, is there a way to set that redirection post-exec? In other words, if I have a script running and no errors are being logged... and then I remember that I forgot the 2>&1 on the script... can I turn it on after the fact? ...and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjinno
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stderr problem

% ls -ld /usr /foo ls: /foo: No such file or directory drwxr-xr-x 14 root wheel 512 May 18 02:49 /usr % ls -ld /usr /foo 1>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. % ls -ld /usr /foo 2>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. ^^Why why why doesn't this work for me. Furthermore, where is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use tee with stdout and stderr?

I have been doing this: make xyz &> xyz.log &; tail -f xyz.log The problem with this is that you never can ge sure when "make xyz" is done. How can I pipe both stderr and stdout into tee so both stderr and stdout are copied both to the display and to the log file? Thanks, Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to a file from within a bash script

I am trying to redirect the output from stderr to a log file from within a bash script. the script is to long to add 2> $logfile to the end of each command. I have been trying to do it with the command exec 2> $logfile This mostly works. Unfortunately, when a read command requires that anything be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vockleya
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR to file & terminal using tee

Hi All, Solarix/Bash v3x Im trying to output any standard errors created by the script to a file using the below command: . runDTE.sh 2> "$DTE_ERROR_FILE" however the errors do get written to the dir/file stored in $DTE_ERROR_FILE but the error does not appear on the terminal screen in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting screen to file without tee

Hi All, I need to redirect screen o/p of shell script to file , but I don't want to use "tee" :Dcommand ./test.sh 2>&1 | tee /var/tmp/testing`date +'%d%h%Y%T'`.log but I want to write some code inside the shell script itself so wen I execute ./test.sh it will display o/p in screen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file

I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file but STDOUT only to the same file. I have searched in this formum for a solution, but something like srcipt 3>&1 >&2 2>&3 3>&- | tee errs doesn't work for me... Has anyone an idea??? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuranga
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required with Stderr and tee command

Hello All, I have a requirement to redirect stdout and stderr to 'log' file and stderr alone to 'err' file. Can someone please help me with this? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_trl
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Confused about redirecting stderr

I know that mmmmm 2> error.txt will send the error message to the specified file instead of the screen. However, I have seen >&2 in some scripts, and I can't get it to do anything. A source said it sends stdout and stderr to a file. What file? Ubuntu 18.04.2; Xfce 4.12.3;... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
11 Replies
cron(1M)                                                  System Administration Commands                                                  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)