Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding file to an existing tar Post 302355322 by mr_manii on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 10:08:51 AM
Old 09-22-2009
Bug Adding file to an existing tar

Hi Friends,
I want to know the command to add a new file in a existing tar file.

For Ex:
I have a tar file file1.tar with the contents
one.txt
two.txt
three.txt

Now I need to add file four.txt to this existing tar file, how can I do it?

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete a file from an existing Solaris tar

How can I delete a file from an existing Solaris tar file ? (not gtar) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avnerht
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding header to an existing file

Dear All, I need to add a header of one line to an already existing file. I know that it can be achieved by the following: echo "Header" > newfile cat file1 >> newfile But my problem is that file is huge and there is no space for creating a new file every time. Is there a way that I can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help for Adding Three new columns in existing file from fatching data from file

not required this time (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
36 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add files to an existing tar file - HP-UNIX

Hello, What is the command to add files to an existing tar file. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new fields to an existing layout

Hi Everybody, I have an layout file like below f1 1 char 10, f2 11 char 2, f3 13 char 1, lineend 14 char 1 Their I need to add a new field which would be like f5 char 3, f6 char 2 The o/p should be f1 1 char 10, f2 11 char 2, f3 13 char 1, f5 14 char 3, f6 17 char 2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding New Selections to the existing Script

Hi.... i have two scripts called: "type" & "selecttype". In "type" i have only the name of the products ex.: product1 & product2. Now, i have to ADD product3 which includes sub categories: productA, productB, productC, productD, productE, productF. so my New type script (menu) looks as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Netrock
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new column in a file with other existing columns

Hi All , Kindly help me with this soln awk '{printf "%s %7s \n", $1,$c}' infile where value of variable c I am externally giving input But executing the above command shows all the columns of infile where as I want only 1st column of infile and 2nd column should print value c (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding existing set of records in the same file

I have a file with 50,000 records in it, i have a requirement to use the same 50,000 records and add them 4 times to the same file to make a total of 200,000 records. I was wondering how to do this using ksh. Any help is greatly appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append files to a existing tar file.

Hi all, I want to check whether tar file exists in the directory or not. If tar file exists in the directory then I want to append the files to it. I am using the below command to tar files if the file does not exist. tar zcvf <tar file name> <Files to append> However, if want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new column to an existing one

I have a data file that looks like this: 0.01 1 3822 4.97379915032e-14 4.96982253992e-09 0 0.01 3822 1 4.97379915032e-14 4.96982253992e-09 0 0.01 2 502 0.00993165137406 993.165137406 0 0.01 502 2 0.00993165137406 993.165137406 0 0.01 4 33 0.00189645523539 189.645523539 0 0.01 33 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
3 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)