Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple shell script to find and print data Post 302355280 by terry2009 on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 10:12:40 AM
Old 09-22-2009
Nah, client doesn't allow use of perl... Its not one of their strategic software, therefore hasn't got security clearance! Good chance to learn some shell though.

Thanks for you're help, I'll get testing. I'm going to try these:
Code:
grep "^To" email.log > recipients.out|awk '{print $2}'
grep /^Subject\:\s(\S*)/ email.log > subjects.out

Does the sytax look alright?

any ideas how I can paste all the outputs together to get it to look like this:
Code:
1,recip@email.co.uk,1,,,1,xcf4564xzcv,1,12 Jun 2008,14:04:59,1,,364

---------- Post updated at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:35 PM ----------

Resolution for anyone who needs it in future...
Code:
grep "^To" email.log |awk '{print "1,"$2}' > recipients.out ; grep "^Subject" email.log |awk '{print ",1,,,1,"$2}' > subjects.out ; grep "^Date" email.log |awk '{print ",1,"$2" "$3" "$4}' > date.out ; grep "^Date" email.log |awk '{print ","$5}' > time.out ; grep "^Size" email.log |awk '{print ",1,,"$3}' > size.out ; paste recipients.out subjects.out date.out time.out size.out > emailstats.txt ; rm recipients.out ; rm subjects.out ; rm date.out ; rm time.out ; rm size.out

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to look for data in a file (not that simple) ...

I'm looking for a script or program that would allow me to pass a pattern to it and give me locations on where text appears in a file. I wish it was that straight forward (I would use egrep or something) Say I have the word in my text file "SUDAN" but my user does a search for "SUDANESE". Grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple script detect to find OS version/flavour

Hi, A newbie question. Following script gives no output. =============================== root@srv # cat /etc/redhat-release | awk {'print $1}' Red root@srv # cat 123.sh if (( `cat /etc/redhat-release | awk {'print $1}'` != CentOS )); then { echo "System runs on Redhat Linux. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple shell - how to get a parameter typed in a shell script

Hi, I am new to unix and using linux 7.2. I would like to create a script that would make it easyer for me to run my java programms. At the moment I have to type java myJavaprogram I am trying to write a script that will allow me to type something like this "myscript myJavaprogram" or maybe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmitulescu
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Find file Script.....

Im trying to make a very simple find the first file with the .zip extension in a specific folder and open that file. The folder path and file name will vary every-time and it may contain spaces. If I try to look For this example the folder directory is /Users/username/Desktop/testfolder/abc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to find common strings in two files

Hi , I want to write a simple script. I have two files file1: BCSpeciality Backend CB CBAPQualDisp CBCimsVFTRCK CBDSNQualDisp CBDefault CBDisney CBFaxMCGen CBMCGeneral CBMCQualDisp file2: CSpeciality Backend (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find specific file name and load data

I need help as to how to write a script in Unix for the following: We have 3 servers; The mainframe will FTP them to a folder. In that folder we will need the script to look and see if the specific file name is there and load it to the correct table. Can anyone pls help me out with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell script calling Perl function, sort and find data, write to new files

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I must write a shell script that calls two external Perl functions--one of which sorts the data in a file, and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kowit010
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with simple script to find PID of process

Hi everyone. I've been reading around and am a little bit overwhelmed, hoping to find a kind soul out there to hold my hand through writing my first script. This need has emerged at work and I haven't much experience writing shell scripts, but this is a problem we have with a production environment... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: thirdcoaster
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP simple script to find e-mail address on a file

Hello guys, im new to to unix/linux i have a text file like this: person1@test.com iisiiasasas person2@test.com 123w2 3233 sajsja person3@test.com jsajjsa sajsjasaj person4@test.com I want to extract only e-mail address and get rid of all other stuff, i want an output like this ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RazorMX
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying text file records, find data in one place in the record and print it elsewhere

Hello, I have some text data that is in the form of multi-line records. Each record ends with the string $$$$ and the next record starts on the next line. RDKit 2D 15 14 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0999 V2000 5.4596 2.1267 0.0000 C 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies
XMLSTARLET(1)							 xmlstarlet Manual						     XMLSTARLET(1)

NAME
xmlstarlet - command line XML/XSLT toolkit SYNOPSIS
xmlstarlet [<options>] [<command>] [<cmd-options>] INTRODUCTION
XMLStarlet is a set of command line utilities (tools) which can be used to transform, query, validate, and edit XML documents and files us- ing simple set of shell commands in similar way it is done for plain text files using UNIX grep, sed, awk, diff, patch, join, etc commands. This set of command line utilities can be used by those who deal with many XML documents on UNIX shell command prompt as well as for auto- mated XML processing with shell scripts. OPTIONS
--version Display the version of xmlstarlet. --help Display help. COMMANDS
Type: xmlstarlet <command> --help <ENTER> for command help Available commands include: ed (or edit) Edit/update XML document(s). sel (or select) Select data or query XML document(s) (XPATH, etc). tr (or transform) Transform XML documents(s) using XSLT. val (or validate) Validate XML document(s) (well-formed/DTD/XSD/RelaxNG). fo (or format) Format XML document(s). el (or elements) Display element structure of XML document. c14n (or canonic) XML canonicalization. ls (or list) List directory as XML. esc (or escape) Escape special XML characters. unesc (or unescape) Unescape special XML characters. pyx (or xmln) Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879). p2x (or depyx) Convert PYX into XML. REFERENCES
XMLStarlet is a command line toolkit to query/edit/check/transform XML documents (for more information see http://xmlstar.source- forge.net/). AUTHOR
Mikhail Grushinskiy. XMLSTARLET(1)