Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux kernel
Operating Systems Linux Linux kernel Post 302355271 by Kandra on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 08:11:43 AM
Old 09-22-2009
Yes, the Linux Kernel is preemptive, as are effectively all modern operating systems.

A non-preemptive multitasking operating system essentially requires the cooperation of the programs to tell it to switch to the next program. This means that a single application can hang the entire computer.

A preemptive multitasking system will interrupt the programs and switch to the next program waiting to run, without requiring the programs to tell it that they are done.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Kernel 0.0.0.1

I'm looking to download the oldest version of the linux kernel that I can, just to look at it. Does anyone know where I can get it (or a slightyly later version) from? Any help on this quest would be great, thanks. Paul (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new linux on old kernel

is it possible to run REDHAT 7 (asplinux 7.2) on kernel 1.XXXX ? wil be FIRST_NEED programs work ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MR.Z
0 Replies

3. Linux

Linux kernel 2.6.20?

Dear All Can you please let me know what is the Linux distribution name for kernel 2.6.20? Thank you in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
4 Replies
THEFT-SERVER(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  THEFT-SERVER(1p)

NAME
theft-server - CLC-INTERCAL networking SYNOPSIS
theft-server --port=port [options] DESCRIPTION
The theft-server mediates the communication between two CLC-INTERCAL programs with the internet extension. It keeps a list of process IDs running on the current computer so it can provide lists of processes which can be engaged in INTERcal NETworking; it also responds to broadcasts allowing other CLC-INTERCAL programs on the LAN to know there is something happening on this computer. Under normal conditions, the theft-server is started automatically by a CLC-INTERCAL programs with the internet extension (unless one is already running, of course!) because the extension cannot operate without a server on the local computer. However, it is possible to start one manually, for example from a /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d. If the program is started automatically, it uses defaults for all its configuration; when started manually, it accepts the following options: -pport / --port=port Uses the given port (number or service name) for communications, instead of using the default one from a configuration file. -lseconds / --linger=seconds Waits the specified time for a connection, then exit. The default is 600 (10 minutes). The timeout applies when the program starts and also when all existing connections are closed. This allows the program to be started on demand by CLC-INTERCAL programs, and to auto- matically exit when no longer required (unless more programs start up during the timeout). This function is disabled by setting the timeout to 0 (i.e. -l0); for example, if starting the server from /etc/init.d or equivalent one would disable the timeout. -d / --debug Tells everything it's doing (on Standard Error). Also, prevents the program from detaching from the current terminal and going into the background. BUGS
IPv6 is not yet implemented. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-29 THEFT-SERVER(1p)