Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to BackUp Solaris 5.8 OS ? Post 302355196 by saga499 on Tuesday 22nd of September 2009 02:29:24 AM
Old 09-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNuke2
how do you use this dump in case of emergency?
If I am wrong plz correct me.

when using #ufsdump tvf /dev/rmt/0 /
then can backup as required. after that when it is nessesory u can restore using following command.

#ufsrestore ivf /dev/rmt/0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

solaris backup

i would like to know if i can use solstice backup 5.5 to do my solaris 2.6 backup. I would also like to know what other solstice backup versions there are and the O/S they support. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lealyz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup on solaris

i get this funny message after inserting my enabler code and authorization code for my solstice backup device; Create failed:'Cannot create new NSR schedule with Solstice Backup SingleServer'. This happens whenever i want to create customized settings on my nwadmin interface. Please what do i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
11 Replies

3. Solaris

Bootable solaris cd backup

Hi ppl! Does anyone know of how to make a bootable solaris cd backup :confused: i have mkisofs installed and plan to burn the bootable image on pc with cdwriter on it... thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 Backup

Hello, I'am newbie in Solaris. In the HP-UX we use make_recovery to full backup in tape, if system crash I need only put the tape in drive and the system is recovered. In Solaris I'am test ufsdump to backup for a file system. Exist a way to make backup full in Solaris or I need make backup a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markos
1 Replies

5. Solaris

OS Backup for Solaris

Hi, I'm new to Unix world and would like to know the procedure to do back for OS for Solaris 9. Can anyone guide me on this, please. Thank You (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raziayub
3 Replies

6. Solaris

backup on solaris 5.4

Hy everybody, I would like to know how i can do a backup or an equivalent of a ghost image like on Windows but for Solaris 5,4. I know there is the command flar or flarcreate but it doesn't work on Solaris 5,4. If someone have a idea to help me please. Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blacknight29
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 9 OS backup

i have taken flash image ot my solaris server (Server2) with the following command "flarcreate -S -n server2 /home/server2.flar". can any one tel me how to restore it in the same server when it crashes. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj.chinnu
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Backup the Solaris OS

Hi gurus I wish to backup the Solaris OS and ftp to another server disk drive monthly but currently lack of knowledge about this. ** The server is production server. Please assists. =) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Whole disk backup in Solaris 11

Hello! I have an Oracle server X5-2 with Solaris 11. Now, this server will get repurposed before I get a system of my own. I am a beginner...but is there a way I can make a backup or an image of my whole disk so when I get my own system I can just restore without having to reinstall software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipsandiscream
1 Replies
rmt(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   rmt(1M)

NAME
rmt - remote magtape protocol module SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rmt DESCRIPTION
rmt is a program used by the remote dump and restore programs in manipulating a magnetic tape drive through an interprocess communication connection. rmt is normally started up with an rexec(3SOCKET) or rcmd(3SOCKET) call. The rmt program accepts requests that are specific to the manipulation of magnetic tapes, performs the commands, then responds with a sta- tus indication. All responses are in ASCII and in one of two forms. Successful commands have responses of: Anumber where number is an ASCII representation of a decimal number. Unsuccessful commands are responded to with: Eerror-number error-message where error-number is one of the possible error numbers described in intro(3), and error-message is the corresponding error string as printed from a call to perror(3C). The protocol consists of the following commands: S Return the status of the open device, as obtained with a MTIOCGET ioctl call. If the operation was successful, an "ack" is sent with the size of the status buffer, then the status buffer is sent (in binary). Cdevice Close the currently open device. The device specified is ignored. Ioperation count Perform a MTIOCOP ioctl(2) command using the specified parameters. The parameters are interpreted as the ASCII rep- resentations of the decimal values to place in the mt_op and mt_count fields of the structure used in the ioctl call. When the operation is successful the return value is the count parameter. Loffset whence Perform an lseek(2) operation using the specified parameters. The response value is returned from the lseek call. Odevice mode Open the specified device using the indicated mode. device is a full pathname, and mode is an ASCII representation of a decimal number suitable for passing to open(9E). If a device is already open, it is closed before a new open is performed. Rcount Read count bytes of data from the open device. rmt performs the requested read(9E) and responds with Acount-read if the read was successful; otherwise an error in standard format is returned. If the read was successful, the data read is sent. Wcount Write data onto the open device. rmt reads count bytes from the connection, aborting if a premature EOF is encoun- tered. The response value is returned from the write(9E) call. Any other command causes rmt to exit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmdc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ufsdump(1M), ufsrestore(1M), intro(3), ioctl(2), lseek(2), perror(3C), rcmd(3SOCKET), rexec(3SOCKET), attributes(5), mtio(7I), open(9E), read(9E), write(9E) DIAGNOSTICS
All responses are of the form described above. BUGS
Do not use this for a remote file access protocol. SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 rmt(1M)