Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Search Device Status in GNU Linux Post 302355129 by Tirmazi on Monday 21st of September 2009 03:07:42 PM
Old 09-21-2009
Search Device Status in GNU Linux

I have an old PC with mirrored disk arrays. One of the hot swapable disk drives is bad and needs to be replaced, I know this because the drives' light has turned amber.

This server has Linux installed. I am not familiar with Linux, but I need this servers because it is running Postfix and is a relay host for many of our production Solaris Machines.

Could anyone please guide me on how to see drive status through the command line and pinpoint which hard drive has failed .

#dmesg does not give me a clue and #iostat -en command does not work, or atleast I donot know how to use it.
Quote:
[root@webserver root]# uname -srvmpio
Linux 2.4.24 #2 SMP Thu Feb 12 13:32:01 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Quote:
[myname@webserver]$ df -k
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 4127076 900092 3017340 23% /
none 775932 0 775932 0% /dev/shm
/dev/cciss/c0d0p5 6190664 1434904 4441292 25% /usr
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 28898108 16688772 10741400 61% /var/lib/mysql
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3 28708276 5670832 21579144 21% /var/spool
thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GNU and Linux: Different or the same?

Sorry for sounding like an incredible n00b, but as I have been lurking and searching on the net, I have come across something that may be common sense to most, but to me is confusing. I constantly see the word GNU when I do searches for Linux, both on this web site and on search engines. I found... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minnesota Red
18 Replies

2. Programming

Linux Device Drivers

Here is a cool book. And the price is right! Linux Device Drivers, 2nd Edition (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Book for Linux Basics and Linux device driver.

hai friend, I am new to Linux, i need a book for Linux basic and Linux device driver .. plz send the book name and author(Easy to learn and mostly used by programmers) and also send the link if it is available in Net... Thank you. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar.lsr
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

raw device in Linux

Hello group, Is it possible to use partition on a disk as a raw device? I have a LUN on a SAN which I would like to partition and use those partitions as raw device. If it is feasable, how do I bind them to a device? For example, say sdd has 3 partitions on it, sdd1, sdd2 and sdd3. Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bfay
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

install linux on GPS device?

hi all, this might be a silly question, but... a few years ago, i bought a Nortech Navigation E-GPS010. this is a car/hand-held GPS unit that, for a while, worked pretty well. in fact, it still works well. the map version on my GPS is dated 2006, so i thought i'd upgrade; however, the crappy... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmd9qs
10 Replies

6. Programming

linux device drivers

hi, this is manju .... i want linux device drivers source codes. pls help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miraclemanju
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

GNU sed - Search and Replace problem

Hi, The following code loops through every file with an error extension and then loops through all XML files in that directory and replaces the target character @ with / . The problem I have is that if there is more than one occurance of @ in each individual file it doesn't replace it. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
2 Replies

8. Fedora

FreeBSD or GNU/Linux?

Hi, i'm working on micro$oft windows based networking environment's. i want learn other os than micro$oft windows. i tested FreeBSD & Gnu/Linux (Fedora). both are similar. which of following is best choice for me? for networking? and which of them has future (for e.g not discontinued after 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skynet_boy
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status

Hi All, I hope somebody would be able to help me. I would need to search a string coming from a file, example file.txt: dog cat goat horse fish For every string, I would need to know if there are any files inside a directory(recursively) that contains the string regardless of case.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
9 Replies
HPSA(4) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   HPSA(4)

NAME
hpsa - HP Smart Array SCSI driver SYNOPSIS
modprobe hpsa [ hpsa_allow_any=1 ] DESCRIPTION
hpsa is a SCSI driver for HP Smart Array RAID controllers. Options hpsa_allow_any=1: This option allows the driver to attempt to operate on any HP Smart Array hardware RAID controller, even if it is not explicitly known to the driver. This allows newer hardware to work with older drivers. Typically this is used to allow installation of operating systems from media that predates the RAID controller, though it may also be used to enable hpsa to drive older controllers that would normally be handled by the cciss(4) driver. These older boards have not been tested and are not supported with hpsa, and cciss(4) should still be used for these. Supported hardware The hpsa driver supports the following Smart Array boards: Smart Array P700M Smart Array P212 Smart Array P410 Smart Array P410i Smart Array P411 Smart Array P812 Smart Array P712m Smart Array P711m StorageWorks P1210m Configuration details To configure HP Smart Array controllers, use the HP Array Configuration Utility (either hpacuxe(8) or hpacucli(8)) or the Offline ROM-based Configuration Utility (ORCA) run from the Smart Array's option ROM at boot time. FILES
Device nodes Logical drives are accessed via the SCSI disk driver (sd(4)), tape drives via the SCSI tape driver (st(4)), and the RAID controller via the SCSI generic driver (sg(4)), with device nodes named /dev/sd*, /dev/st*, and /dev/sg*, respectively. HPSA-specific host attribute files in /sys /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/rescan This is a write-only attribute. Writing to this attribute will cause the driver to scan for new, changed, or removed devices (e.g,. hot-plugged tape drives, or newly configured or deleted logical drives, etc.) and notify the SCSI midlayer of any changes detected. Normally a rescan is triggered automatically by HP's Array Configuration Utility (either the GUI or the command-line variety); thus, for logical drive changes, the user should not normally have to use this attribute. This attribute may be useful when hot plugging devices like tape drives, or entire storage boxes containing pre-configured logical drives. /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/firmware_revision This attribute contains the firmware version of the Smart Array. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_host/host4 # cat firmware_revision 7.14 HPSA-specific disk attribute files in /sys /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/unique_id This attribute contains a 32 hex-digit unique ID for each logical drive. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat unique_id 600508B1001044395355323037570F77 /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/raid_level This attribute contains the RAID level of each logical drive. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat raid_level RAID 0 /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/lunid This attribute contains the 16 hex-digit (8 byte) LUN ID by which a logical drive or physical device can be addressed. c:b:t:l are the controller, bus, target and lun of the device. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat lunid 0x0000004000000000 Supported ioctl() operations For compatibility with applications written for the cciss(4) driver, many, but not all of the ioctls supported by the cciss(4) driver are also supported by the hpsa driver. The data structures used by these ioctls are described in the Linux kernel source file include/linux/cciss_ioctl.h. CCISS_DEREGDISK, CCISS_REGNEWDISK, CCISS_REGNEWD These three ioctls all do exactly the same thing, which is to cause the driver to rescan for new devices. This does exactly the same thing as writing to the hpsa-specific host "rescan" attribute. CCISS_GETPCIINFO Returns PCI domain, bus, device and function and "board ID" (PCI subsystem ID). CCISS_GETDRIVVER Returns driver version in three bytes encoded as: (major_version << 16) | (minor_version << 8) | (subminor_version) CCISS_PASSTHRU, CCISS_BIG_PASSTHRU Allows "BMIC" and "CISS" commands to be passed through to the Smart Array. These are used extensively by the HP Array Configuration Utility, SNMP storage agents, etc. See cciss_vol_status at <http://cciss.sf.net> for some examples. SEE ALSO
cciss(4), sd(4), st(4), cciss_vol_status(8), hpacucli(8), hpacuxe(8), <http://cciss.sf.net>, and Documentation/scsi/hpsa.txt and Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-pci-devices-cciss in the Linux kernel source tree COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-08-05 HPSA(4)