Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Issue available disk space while using xdd Post 302355105 by mrpogo07 on Monday 21st of September 2009 01:00:39 PM
Old 09-21-2009
Got it, that would make sense. The data on the drives don't matter at all, these are just throughput tests.

I guess my other question would revolve around testing drives throughput when the drive is full of data and when it is empty. Is there a way to do so with xdd?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Out of disk space?

Hi I'm trying to install gcc and the installation program tells me that I'm out of disk space! I have just installed the os (using the default settings for partitions and sizes) and have only installed apache on the machine. Can it really be out of disk space already? How do I check how much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfabetman
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk space

Can someone tell me how to determine how much disk space has been allocated to me and how much of it I am using? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

available disk space on disk device???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the available disk space on a given disk device? I have to write a shell script that compresses files and stores them in a specific location but I am not sure how "conservative" I should be? Thanks in advance! Al. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk space?

I'm a Unix newbie running Solaris 9. After installing a fresh copy on a 40GB drive I noticed the available disk space is 2% free or approximately 200MB available. Is that possible? Did I do something wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbarbuto
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hi experts i am new in unix and informix and would like to ask 2 questions 1) my server shows when using df -k fs 1024-block used available /usr 10079072 3668670 6381144 does this mean i have 10GB, and used up 3.7GB and available 6.3GB ??? is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
3 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hello All- Am new member to this forum. Have some unix experience. But true believer in it compared to windows. Have a question regarding the disk space. I know a command to check the total disk space utilization using: df -k . but what is the command to check the same disk space by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milkyway
6 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Issue with disk space usage

Issue with disk space usage I have the following line in my "df -h" output: Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/ad4s1a 496M 495M -39M 109% / What is the issue with having 9% excess utilisation? How can I find out what this partition is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk space

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, and want to monitor disk space using shell script continously on server, which will shoot mail after crossing threshold limit Please suggest. Regards Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much disk space?

Hi, I have this : uname -a Linux servername 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 23 15:57:10 EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux df -k Sys. de fich. 1K-blocs Occupied Disponible Capacity Monted on /u01/applis 10321208 3190160 6606760 33% /applis Does it mean... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Disk Space

I know there are other threads but they have not helped. My server is running low on disk space and I haven't been able to re-allocate. I think my solaris machine is missing tools or the way it was originally setup, may not have the right pathing. $ df -k Filesystem kbytes used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnxjenn
5 Replies
BUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BUFFER(1)

NAME
buffer - very fast reblocking program SYNTAX
buffer [-S size] [-b blocks] [-s size] [-z size] [-m size] [-p percentage] [-u microseconds] [-B] [-t] [-Z] [-i filename] [-o filename] [-d] OPTIONS
-i filename Use the given file as the input file. The default is stdin. -o filename Use the given file as the output file. The default is stdout. -S size After every chunk of this size has been written, print out how much has been written so far. Also prints the total throughput. By default this is not set. -s size Size in bytes of each block. The default blocksize is 10k to match the normal output of the tar(1) program. -z size Combines the -S and -s flags. -b blocks Number of blocks to allocate to shared memory circular buffer. Defaults to the number required to fill up the shared memory requested. -m size Maximum size of the shared memory chunk to allocate for the circular queue. Defaults to one megabyte. -p percentage Only start a write when the given percentage of the internal queue is full. A percentage around 75 often proves best. Defaults to zero. -u microseconds After every write pause for this many microseconds. Defaults to zero. (Surprisingly a small sleep, 100 usecs, after each write can greatly enhance throughput on some drives.) -B Force each block written to be padded out to the blocksize. This is needed by some tape and cartridge drives. Defaults to unpadded. This only affects the last block written. -t On exiting print to stderr a brief message showing the total number of bytes written. -Z If reading/writing directly to a character device (like a tape drive) then after each gigabyte perform an lseek to the start of the file. Use this flag with extreme care. It can only be used on devices where an lseek does not rewind the tape but does reset the kernels position flags. It is used to allow more than 2 gigabytes to be written. -d Print debug information to stderr during operation. Sizes are a number with an optional trailing character. A 'b' multiplies the size by 512, a 'k' by 1024 and an 'm' by a meg. DESCRIPTION
Buffer reads from standard input reblocking to the given blocksize and writes each block to standard output. Internally buffer is a pair of processes communicating via a large circular queue held in shared memory. The reader process only has to block when the queue is full and the writer process when the queue is empty. Buffer is designed to try and keep the writer side continu- ously busy so that it can stream when writing to tape drives. When used to write tapes with an intervening network buffer can result in a considerable increase in throughput. The default settings for buffer are normally good enough. If you are a heavy tape user then it is worth your while trying out various dif- ferent combinations of options. In particular running a buffer at both ends of the pipe can provide a substantial increase (see last exam- ple below). EXAMPLES
$ buffer < /etc/termcap > /dev/rst8 $ tar cf - . | rsh somehost 'buffer > /dev/rst8' $ dump fu - | rsh somehost 'buffer -s 16k > /dev/nrst8' $ tar cf - . | buffer | rsh somehost 'buffer -S 500K -p 75 > /dev/rst0' BUFFER LIMITS
There are 2 limits in buffer affecting the maximum total buffer size: The maximum number of blocks (2048) and the maximum size of a block (512kB). This results in a maximum total buffer size of 1GB. Note that there is also a kernel limit for the maximum size of a shared memory segment (used by buffer internally) which is typically much lower than the limits in buffer. So if buffer complains about not being able to create a shared memory segment, this limit might have to be raised using the command sysctl kernel.shmmax=XXX (see also sysctl(1) and proc(5)). BUGS
Internally, for printing purposes, buffer counts in terms of the number of kilobytes output. If the blocksize you use is not a whole num- ber of kilobytes then the numbers printed will be inaccurate. THANKS
Thanks to Kevin Twidle <kpt@doc.ic.ac.uk> for a lot of early suggestions and patches to make it work with non-tar/dump tapes to exabyte drives. Thanks to Andi Karrer <karrer@bernina.ethz.ch>, Rumi Zahir <rumi@iis.ethz.ch> and Christoph Wicki <wicki@iis.ethz.ch> for patches to make buffer work when trying to write single tape files of greater than 2 gigabytes. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1990, 1991 by Lee McLoughlin. SEE ALSO
dd(1), tar(1), rsh(1) 14 May 1990 BUFFER(1)