Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to run a process when the computer is idle? Post 302354969 by pludi on Monday 21st of September 2009 05:21:27 AM
Old 09-21-2009
There are 2 immediate things that I can think of:
  • Advising the process scheduler via nice
  • Advising the I/O scheduler via ionice
Other than that you could look for periods of time where the system is almost idle, and only allow your program to run during those periods. But that would have to be done manually, as it's non-trivial to code (IMO). Software like BOINC just wait for a certain time of no user input to determine "idle".

Or, if you know that the process will be very CPU intensive for a short period of time, start it with a very low niceness, so that impact on the system will be as short as possible.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run a script when your computer is idle

I am trying to run a script that I made when my computer is idle. How do I go about doing this. Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehansaeed
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding idle time of a process

Matez, I have a list of process id's in a text file. I want to know how to find the idle time of a process which are more than 300secs and kill them accordingly. Could you please help me to get these details. I want to write a shell script with this. Thanks..Krish :) (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
36 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see if the process is idle

We are running AIX 5.3 and for ICICS Printing we have process called cicstermp runing whcih attaches the print to print queue But is process is triggered when ever a print is to be given Can we find the processes which are idle I mean every time a print is given it creats a new cicstermp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to kill process after x idle min?

I need a script to kill those process id whose idle time is more than 30min plz help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salil2012
3 Replies

5. AIX

Kill IDLE Process using script !!!

Dear Friends , I am using DB2 database in AIX 5.3 server . In my server some IDLE process are generated after several times which I need to kill it manually each and every time . The process I query like following : root@bagpuss $ ps auxw|sort -r +3|head -10 USER PID %CPU %MEM ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Why CPU idle 0 process nohub lose

Hello Solaris 8 when CPU idle 0 . why nohub process lose ? Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppmanja
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

idle% cpu and run queue

Hi Everybody, Can anybody explain how CPU idle% is about 50%, but runq-sz more than 1? sar from Solaris 10: 00:00:05 %usr %sys %wio %idle 17:00:08 27 12 0 61 17:20:05 40 15 0 45 17:40:05 27 12 0 61 18:00:05 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill idle Process using a script

Hi, I need a script that can automatically kill all processes named "webrepn" and "webrebw" if idle for more than 30 minutes. Then I will have a Cron Job to run the script every night or 2-3 times a day depends on how this script helps. Right now, I run "ps -ef | grep webrebn" and "kill -9... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaggieL
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Idle Process Exhausting CPU

I noticed when having some trouble with code I was testing that the CPU was becoming exhausted and I would have to reboot. After rebooting a couple times I decided to check for other problems before trying my code again. That's when I noticed that the CPU with the idle process was through the roof:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Activate command when computer is idle

I would like to run a command if my computer is idle. I found this, but is not quite working. #!/bin/sh idletime=$(xprintidle) threshold=300000 # 5 min = 5 * 60 * 1000 ms if ; then echo "idle for 5 minutes." fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
4 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)