Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris deleting blank space in beginning of line in vi Post 302354896 by varontron on Sunday 20th of September 2009 09:29:21 PM
Old 09-20-2009
To delete blank spaces at the start of lines 7 thru 21:

Code:
:7,21s/^ +//

That's [colon seven comma two one s slash carot space plus slash slash]

To do it on every line:

Code:
:%s/^ +//

That's [colon percent s slash carot space plus slash slash]

Colon = command mode
numbers or % = lines to edit
s = substitute
slashes separate pattern and replacement strings
carot = start of line
space = actual space
plus = one or more
2 slashes = empty replacement string = delete

hth,
dv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the blank line in a file and counting the characters....

Hi, I am trying to do two things in my script. I will really appreciate any help in this regards. Is there a way to delete a last line from a pipe delimited flat file if the last line is blank. If the line is not blank then do nothing..... Is there a way to count a word that are starting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete blank space in begining of line

Hi All, below is my data file file.txt $$0 ServerA LAN1 AAA IT01 04/30/2008 09:16:26 $$0 ServerB LAN1 AAA IT02 04/30/2008 09:16:26 here $ is a blank space how to delete first 2 blank spaces in a file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank line and row containing certain words in single sed command

Hi Is it possible to do the following in a single command /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/rows selected/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/^$/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto_new.txt exit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk until blank space and print next line

Hello and Happy New Year 2012! I have this example: 1,2,3 4,5,6 7,8,9 For that, I'm trying to get: 1,2,3 4,5,6 7,8,9 for that, I think this might work but doesnt work so far: awk '{for(i=1;i=NF;i++);sub(/\//,"",$i);print $i}' myfile (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space at beginning of the line

How can I delete spaces at the begining of all lines of my file ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing one or more blank characters from beginning of a line

Hi, I was trying to remove the blank from beginning of a line. when I try: sed 's/^ +//' filename it does not work but when I try sed 's/^ *//' filename it works But I think the first command should have also replaced any line with one or more blanks. Kindly help me in understanding... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Space and blank line from file in UNIX shell script

I have below file. I want to remove space at begining of every line and then after also remove blank line from file. I use below code for each operation. sed -e 's/^*//' < check.txt > check1.txt sed '/^\s*$/d' < check1.txt > check2.txt above code not remove all the space... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohin Jain
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue deleting blank line from a file

I'm trying to delete the blank lines from the file $Sfile. tried the below set of commands. Both are giving the same error (: bad interpreter: No such file or directory) awk 'NF > 0' $Sfile > $Tfile cat $Tfile sed -i '/^$/d' $Sfile cat $Sfile Not sure if there's any other problem with... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pandee
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Deleting the last non blank line from a file

PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi reddy1
6 Replies
mbox(5)                                                         File Formats Manual                                                        mbox(5)

NAME
mbox - file containing mail messages INTRODUCTION
The most common format for storage of mail messages is mbox format. An mbox is a single file containing zero or more mail messages. MESSAGE FORMAT
A message encoded in mbox format begins with a From_ line, continues with a series of non-From_ lines, and ends with a blank line. A From_ line means any line that begins with the characters F, r, o, m, space: From god@heaven.af.mil Sat Jan 3 01:05:34 1996 Return-Path: <god@heaven.af.mil> Delivered-To: djb@silverton.berkeley.edu Date: 3 Jan 1996 01:05:34 -0000 From: God <god@heaven.af.mil> To: djb@silverton.berkeley.edu (D. J. Bernstein) How's that mail system project coming along? The final line is a completely blank line (no spaces or tabs). Notice that blank lines may also appear elsewhere in the message. The From_ line always looks like From envsender date moreinfo. envsender is one word, without spaces or tabs; it is usually the envelope sender of the message. date is the delivery date of the message. It always contains exactly 24 characters in asctime format. moreinfo is optional; it may contain arbitrary information. Between the From_ line and the blank line is a message in RFC 822 format, as described in qmail-header(5), subject to >From quoting as described below. HOW A MESSAGE IS DELIVERED
Here is how a program appends a message to an mbox file. It first creates a From_ line given the message's envelope sender and the current date. If the envelope sender is empty (i.e., if this is a bounce message), the program uses MAILER-DAEMON instead. If the envelope sender contains spaces, tabs, or newlines, the program replaces them with hyphens. The program then copies the message, applying >From quoting to each line. >From quoting ensures that the resulting lines are not From_ lines: the program prepends a > to any From_ line, >From_ line, >>From_ line, >>>From_ line, etc. Finally the program appends a blank line to the message. If the last line of the message was a partial line, it writes two newlines; oth- erwise it writes one. HOW A MESSAGE IS READ
A reader scans through an mbox file looking for From_ lines. Any From_ line marks the beginning of a message. The reader should not attempt to take advantage of the fact that every From_ line (past the beginning of the file) is preceded by a blank line. Once the reader finds a message, it extracts a (possibly corrupted) envelope sender and delivery date out of the From_ line. It then reads until the next From_ line or end of file, whichever comes first. It strips off the final blank line and deletes the quoting of >From_ lines and >>From_ lines and so on. The result is an RFC 822 message. COMMON MBOX VARIANTS
There are many variants of mbox format. The variant described above is mboxrd format, popularized by Rahul Dhesi in June 1995. The original mboxo format quotes only From_ lines, not >From_ lines. As a result it is impossible to tell whether From: djb@silverton.berkeley.edu (D. J. Bernstein) To: god@heaven.af.mil >From now through August I'll be doing beta testing. Thanks for your interest. was quoted in the original message. An mboxrd reader will always strip off the quoting. mboxcl format is like mboxo format, but includes a Content-Length field with the number of bytes in the message. mboxcl2 format is like mboxcl but has no >From quoting. These formats are used by SVR4 mailers. mboxcl2 cannot be read safely by mboxrd readers. UNSPECIFIED DETAILS
There are many locking mechanisms for mbox files. qmail-local always uses flock on systems that have it, otherwise lockf. The delivery date in a From_ line does not specify a time zone. qmail-local always creates the delivery date in GMT so that mbox files can be safely transported from one time zone to another. If the mtime on a nonempty mbox file is greater than the atime, the file has new mail. If the mtime is smaller than the atime, the new mail has been read. If the atime equals the mtime, there is no way to tell whether the file has new mail, since qmail-local takes much less than a second to run. One solution is for a mail reader to artificially set the atime to the mtime plus 1. Then the file has new mail if and only if the atime is less than or equal to the mtime. Some mail readers place Status fields in each message to indicate which messages have been read. SEE ALSO
maildir(5), qmail-header(5), qmail-local(8) mbox(5)